Anyone want to discuss Vista? I hate Bill.
Oct 14, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #16 of 49
I don't see a problem with Vista except software support from third party software is still lacking.

And Vista Media Center is the work of angels, probably the best software product Microsoft has ever made IMHO, if you are using your Vista computer as a TV or media hub, it's worth it for that reason alone to upgrade to Vista.

Oct 14, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #17 of 49
I like Vista. Running it on both my main PC and my Media Center. The only problems I had were with some buggy third party drivers.
Since that's been resolved everything runs fine.

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #19 of 49
The last time I upgraded versions of Ubuntu, the driver support actually got worse. Not that it was very good to begin with, but most of of the hardware in my PCI slots that was working before was not working afterwards. So after the extremely long install of the new version (it took about 12 hours total) I have a PC that is practically useless. I ended up reinstalling the older version of Ubuntu, and dealing with it's constant program lockups and lack of support for about anything I plugged into it. Basically Ubuntu is not an OS that I would currently recommend to anyone, Vista is much more stable and much more useful to a common user than Ubuntu currently is. Ubuntu is one of the better Linux distros, but they still have a very long way to go.

Oct 14, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #20 of 49
I took the plunge and reformatted with vista x64 the other night because I'll need it for DX10 sooner or later. I've been using vista on my laptop for about 8 months and hated it but on my desktop it's been running flawlessly.

What are you doing that requires 25+ windows open at once?

Oct 14, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #21 of 49
chat windows, avsforum.com, head-fi, numerous ebay windows, windows mail, filthy sites. The list goes on.

Do I need to curtail my normal computer use to accomodate a BETTER OS? Umm is it better when it locks up quicker than the old OS?

Have you done a reply to an email using windows mail? Did you have lunch waiting for the mail to come up? Adding other recipients is fun as well. My hard drive cranks for ages first.

Oct 14, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #22 of 49
Actually now it often slows to a crawl when I have 8 or 10 windows open. Close windows mail and "Voila! Internet".

I suspect windows mail is the primary culprit. OE was a fast program. Windows Mail and the asociated adress book search is slow as molasses comparatively.

Oct 14, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryVale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually now it often slows to a crawl when I have 8 or 10 windows open. Close windows mail and "Voila! Internet".

I suspect windows mail is the primary culprit. OE was a fast program. Windows Mail and the asociated adress book search is slow as molasses comparatively.

Time for some Thunderbird

Oct 14, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #25 of 49
It's always best to suggest the user is the problem when selling a product that the user thinks it's not answering their needs.

In this case it was a comparison to XP that was brought up.

I was kidding about the filthy sites.

Oct 15, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Using a lot of ram is a good thing?

Who said?

That's common knowledge. Any unused RAM is wasted RAM and thus wasted speed. Uncached Hard Disk access is quite a few levels of magnitude slower than RAM access, and even Cached Hard Disk access is several orders of magnitude away. [You'll have to forgive me - my Organization/Architecture class was a couple years ago and I don't recall the exact numbers] To get to stuff quickly it has to be in RAM. An efficient prefetching system will keep a good chunk of RAM occupied with potential stuff all the time. If programs need more RAM, it can just overwrite the prefetched stuff at absolutely no performance loss. It's really an excellent system.

That being said, I've got 2 legal licenses of Vista Business sitting here that I refuse to touch until a service pack or 10 are out. At the moment XP is much more stable and does everything I need, and it has less DRM and bloat. I only use XP as a gaming OS anyway; whenever I actually need to get anything done I use Linux.

Oct 15, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #27 of 49
Thanks for the on-track response.

I was asking the ram question primarily of the demand for a minimum 100% more ram, by Vista, but still getting slower, real world speed results, vs XP.

Sounds like a wise move hoarding SN's and not using if you got the sns at a good price. Vista is not as stable as XP. I was "sold" an OS that doesn't work well for me with little recourse.

I thought I saw a comment somewhere here with something like "a lot of people like Vista...get over it"

I would bet there are more people in this world that will drink from, and bathe in the Ganges River today, than will extoll the virtues of Vista over XP. That river has about 300 times the amount of sewage and other pollutants deemed acceptable by the WHO for even bathing. Drinking it straight, which is commonly done is very dangerous to human health. To pay someone to deliver taited water from this Holy river is commonplace as well. Just because millions of Indian people drink contaminated water it doesn't make me want to pay for some yummy sewage water just because it comes from the Ganges. :)

The purpose of my original question was to think, interact and exchange some information that might help me or others and get some interaction going.

Heck, I did a quick response to the thread asking what my favorite power tool was! It didn't make me think much about my real, true, power tool fetishes lying deep within and what each power tool really meant to me. The other participants responses really didn't give me any insights into their thoughts or desires or the way their minds may work either. If the question had the tag line IN BED, it might have told me a lot more about that person and how their mind works, weather I really wanted to know that or not.

Oct 15, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Heck, I did a quick response to the thread asking what my favorite power tool was! It didn't make me think much about my real, true, power tool fetishes lying deep within and what each power tool really meant to me. The other participants responses really didn't give me any insights into their thoughts or desires or the way their minds may work either. If the question had the tag line IN BED, it might have told me a lot more about that person and how their mind works, weather I really wanted to know that or not.

21d1j06.jpg

Oct 15, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Thanks for the on-track response.

I was asking the ram question primarily of the demand for a minimum 100% more ram, by Vista, but still getting slower, real world speed results, vs XP.

Sounds like a wise move hoarding SN's and not using if you got the sns at a good price. Vista is not as stable as XP. I was "sold" an OS that doesn't work well for me with little recourse.

I thought I saw a comment somewhere here with something like "a lot of people like Vista...get over it"

I would bet there are more people in this world that will drink from, and bathe in the Ganges River today, than will extoll the virtues of Vista over XP. That river has about 300 times the amount of sewage and other pollutants deemed acceptable by the WHO for even bathing. Drinking it straight, which is commonly done is very dangerous to human health. To pay someone to deliver taited water from this Holy river is commonplace as well. Just because millions of Indian people drink contaminated water it doesn't make me want to pay for some yummy sewage water just because it comes from the Ganges. :)

The purpose of my original question was to think, interact and exchange some information that might help me or others and get some interaction going.

stfuppercut1jc.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back