Anyone using the Burson Audio Headphone Amp 160?
Feb 28, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #16 of 40

Quote:
matthewh133.......I understand the not willing to go past 12 o'clock.  Me, too.  From your description of how the volume rises, I believe the attenuater is designed with an audio taper.  I like that best.  I don't listen at tremendously loud levels like I use to when I was younger, and prefer an audio taper in the volume control.  It allows me to make finer adjustments in the volume at the levels I usually enjoy.  I would not like a healthy volume jump between steps before about 11 o'clock.

More questions.  Since the Burson HA160 has a detachable power cord, have you tried any other power cords besides the stock cable that comes with the HA160?  If so, what differences are you hearing?

Yeah, actually, the power cord I was given (when I bought it off a user from within my own country) actually didn't fit funnily enough. It is even an Australian made amp. I just use a spare power cord I had sitting around and there is no issues whatsoever. I haven't done any comparisons between it and any others, but I doubt there would be much of a difference.

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #17 of 40

Quote:
Yeah, actually, the power cord I was given (when I bought it off a user from within my own country) actually didn't fit funnily enough. It is even an Australian made amp. I just use a spare power cord I had sitting around and there is no issues whatsoever. I haven't done any comparisons between it and any others, but I doubt there would be much of a difference.

matthewh133.......I just noticed you're in Melbourne, Australia, one of the cities and country I would love to visit someday.  Since Burson Audio is manufactured in Australia, are you able to get special local pricing, or do Australians pay the same price as the rest of the world?

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #18 of 40

Quote:

matthewh133.......I just noticed you're in Melbourne, Australia, one of the cities and country I would love to visit someday.  Since Burson Audio is manufactured in Australia, are you able to get special local pricing, or do Australians pay the same price as the rest of the world?

I strongly suggest you do
biggrin.gif
It is cheaper for Australians, but solely because of postage. The HA-160 is $649 including postage to Australia, $699 to the U.S. The HAD-160D is $990 to Australia, $1100 to the U.S.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #22 of 40
I emailed Burson Audio today about the volume control:

[size=12pt]Good people,[/size]
[size=12pt] [/size]
[size=12pt]I am interested in the Burson HA160, and HA160D headphone amplifiers.  In talks with HA160 owners I have discovered a reoccurring negative comment with respect to the 24 step attenuator.  My original question to several owners was, does the HA160 stepped attenuator employ an audio taper in the volume range.  In other words, does the volume control allow for small decibel changes up to about the 10 o’clock position, and then beyond that point produce larger decibel differences between each step above that point?  What I am hearing from owners is there is too large of a decibel difference between the first half dozen steps, in fact even in the first 3 steps with some users, and this prevents minor volume adjustments up or down.  The decibel differences seems to be too large from one step to the next, especially in the first one third of the range.  One owner rarely listens above the 8:30 position, and tells me the volume difference between that and 9 o’clock is too large a decibel increase.  [/size]
[size=12pt] [/size]
[size=12pt]While discussing this issue, one person said he remembered seeing something about a Burson Audio modification to help solve this issue, which leads me to think there is a larger issue than just a few owners.  My question to you is, does such a modification exist that would reduce the headphone output level through the first 30% of the volume range?  If a  mod is available, does it affect the entire volume range?  Is there a special stepped attenuator available that would provide a more gradual decibel change reminiscent of a standard audio taper?  How would one go about having an HA160 modified for a reduced output level, preferably modified in such a way as to only affect the volume taper at the beginning of its range?[/size]
[size=12pt] [/size]
[size=12pt]As a perspective customer, this issue is important to me.  I am impressed with the Burson HA160 and HA160D.  It is a remarkable headphone amplifier, and a good value.  I am considering the HA160D as my next headphone amplifier, but the stepped attenuator’s apparent lack of smaller decibel differences between steps, especially in the first 30 % of the control’s range, has me concerned.  Any help you can offer will be appreciated.[/size]
[size=12pt] [/size]
[size=12pt] [/size]
[size=12pt]Best regards,[/size]
[size=12pt]Dan[/size]

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #24 of 40

Quote:
Will be interesting to see what they say. Mine indeed does annoy me sometimes as my preferred listening level is right between 9:30ish and 10.

matthewh133.......Perhaps something positive will be revealed to us.  Burson Audio's stepped attenuator concept is solid, and without question produces low distortion control over volume levels.  My concern is the same as yours and others.  In the first 30% of the volume control range there should be greater control over smaller decibel increases.  I will post any response I receive.

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #25 of 40

Quote:
matthewh133.......Perhaps something positive will be revealed to us.  Burson Audio's stepped attenuator concept is solid, and without question produces low distortion control over volume levels.  My concern is the same as yours and others.  In the first 30% of the volume control range there should be greater control over smaller decibel increases.  I will post any response I receive.

Thanks, would be appreciated.

Mar 2, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #26 of 40
I received a response to my email last night from John Delmo of Burson Audio.

[size=12pt]Hi Dan,

Thank you for your email and your interest in our HA-160 / HA-160D.

I will try to address all your concerns below, but if I have missed any, please feel free to write to us again. : )

1. The volume increase is constant across all 24 steps.  
2. The amps provide 2 outputs, each with a different level of gain to better match the large range of headphones in the market.  More volume control could be achieved by using the lower gain output.
3. The HA-160 was introduced in 2009 and we have made refinements based on customer feedback.  Depending on the headphones, most customers are reporting a good range of volume control with our current type of HA-160 and HA-160D.
4. May I ask what headphone/s you are using at the moment? We can certainly customize the output gain level for you if you can send your phones to us in Australia.
5. Our decision to adopt a step attenuator over a standard pot was based on performance. Yes, a standard post is easier to use, but our step attenuator sounds better. : )

Best regards,

John Delmo
[/size]

This is my follow up email responding to what John had to say, and a couple additional questions:

[size=12pt][size=small]Hi John,[/size][/size]
[size=12pt][size=small] [/size][/size]
[size=12pt][size=small]Your rapid response is appreciated.  The headphone I presently use is the Sennheiser HD600.  I have not yet had the opportunity to personally audition a Burson HA160, so my curiosity about the stepped attenuator was driven by comments to me from others who own the HA160.  The comments about the HA160 were predominantly glowing, so I don’t want to leave the impression that there is any great dissatisfaction among the group of users, only that their wish list would include greater control over the lower volume levels than is presently available with the current design.  Everyone supports the quality approach to volume control and low distortion through the use of your discrete stepped attenuator, with the only negative feedback centering on the lack of finer control over lower volume listening levels.[/size][/size]
[size=12pt][size=small]I have another question.  Coming off zero gain to the first stepped position, what is the decibel increase?  As I understand your explanation, each subsequent step up in volume will equal this identical decibel increase through full open, is that correct?  Also, you did not say whether there are any modifications available for the HA160 to help with high output at low volumes, as rumor has it.[/size][/size]
[size=12pt][size=small]I am aware of the output level differences between the two headphone jacks based on headphone impedance.  The users I have spoken with tell me that neither headphone output allows enough output level control over low listening levels to be totally satisfying to use at lower volume setting.  The idea of having a customized output gain level designed to support specific headphones is an interesting offer.[/size][/size]
[size=12pt][size=small]Finally, you mentioned refinements made to the HA160 based on customer feedback.  Are you at liberty to explain what those refinements are, and how they improved the HA160 performance?[/size][/size]
[size=12pt][size=small]Thank you for replying to my inquiries. [/size][/size]
[size=12pt][size=small]Best regards,[/size][/size]

[size=12pt][size=small]Dan[/size][/size]
[size=12pt] [/size]
[size=small]I thought one of the most interesting things John said was that Burson would customize the volume control for a particular headphone.  Very interesting.  I will post his next response when it arrives.[/size]

Mar 2, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #27 of 40

Interesting that the steps are apparently all the same. As far as the customization goes for your headphones, it's a kool idea, but it would be hard to put across exactly what volume you want the step to be at wouldn't it? As in, unless you both manage to use the exact same method for measuring the dB coming from them on the same song, it could be off. It will be interesting to find out some more information.

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #28 of 40
I'd be fine with it if they just converted to a 48 step attenuator, reduced the gain spectrum 50%, and took the lower end of that range and spread it evenly across the full 48 steps.  LOL - yeah, like that's going to happen. 
atsmile.gif

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #29 of 40
Hi,

I've been using the Burson HA160 for around 6 months now with the AKG K702's. The amp rocks in every way and handles the AKG's very well. I recon it took around 5 months to burn in fully though with the AKG's as they were bought at the same time.

It's built like a brick crap house too. I am very pleased with it and I'm sure it would be a great match with your HD600's. Great value for the money.

There are lots of reviews around for the HA160 if you google them.

Chris

Mar 2, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #30 of 40
chris 007.......Thanks for your input on your HA160 headphone amplifier.  I agree with you on the build quality.  From what I have been able to see in photos of the interior, the HA160 looks very well made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back