Anyone use FM tuners?
Nov 24, 2001 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
I have had poor luck in the past with finding a decent FM tuner that "locks" in on a station.

Any classical fans out there that listen to FM radio with their cans/amps?

I've thought about XM radio, supposedly digital quality signals.

Nov 24, 2001 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 22
Hello ,

Yes, I listen to both AM and FM . A roof top antenna makes a big difference (*Yagi* type with motorized rotator ...antenna about $80, anther $80 or $100 for the (Radio Shack) rotator , adds to about $250 w/misc. cables).

If a nice antenna is an option, then you could go for any number of FM tuners that should *lock-on* for you. I'm using an Audiolab 8000T and would very highly recommend one (listed at about $1200, ...used they seem to run about $550 to $750) . I had a Naim 01 tuner,..not a lot of features, but also extremely good sound.

Martin

Nov 25, 2001 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 22
I use a Teac T-H500 tuner and a Godar FM-1A Yagi antenna for my den system. Both are recommended especially if you can get the Teac from ubid for $79 shipped as I did
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2001 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 22
You might want to look for a 70's or early 80's vintage tuner; you can get much more bang for your buck than anything made these days. The old analog Kenwoods were great and you can find some bargains on eBay from time to time. I've got an SAE 8000 and it's usually on a small college station, 50 miles away and it sounds great. But a decent outdoor antenna, with a rotor if your stations are all over the place is a better investment. Depending on how far away the stations are, you might get away with something like the $30 Radio Shack FM antenna. Stay away from anything that looks like a flying saucer or a baseball bat.

Nov 26, 2001 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 22
Dec 12, 2001 at 6:13 AM Post #6 of 22
I agree with MONK.

The Audiolab 8000T is a killer of a tuner, especially if you connect it to a decent YAGI antenna on your rooftop. Many people tend to put yagi's in their roofspace but that causes a few problems and the signals are much cleaner if its out in the open and well clear of the roof and it reflections.

Myself I use the 8000T with a kit built RonSmith Galaxie 23. Ron Smith is a UK antanna company based in Luton, but if you contact him he can ship worldwide. His antenna's are renowned in hifi circles in the uk as being the best around. You could also get a 2m ham antenna and modify a little to bring it on frequency.

You can see some pictures of my 8000t and Antenna at http://www.audiophile-uk.org.uk

Cheers
Mick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2001 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 22
After using a Tivoli Model Two (the stereo version of the Model One) I'm going to eventually get one for myself. It has phenomenal reception, plus a line-out jack. It's as good of a tuner as you're going to get for under $200.

kwkarth liked the CC Radio Plus, as well.

I realize these aren't "component" tuners, but they are better than many of the component tuners near their price range.

Dec 12, 2001 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by BenG
Aren't those Sansui tuners from the 70s and 80s supposed to be good?

Yes they are. I had a TU-717 and I am kicking myself for selling it. If you can find one for a good price I would jump on it. In fact I am going to jump on the first good deal I find, so you better be fast.

Dec 13, 2001 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 22
The tuners from the Marantz receivers of the 70s are excellent. Often see them on e-bay - models 2215, 2230, 2275 etc. However, the amp sections on the receivers are the weak point.
Maybe feeding the headphone output to a headphone amp would be a way of circumventing it.

Dec 13, 2001 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 22
Probably best invest in a good antenna like FM-2G first. IMHO, tuners are the best source better than best turntalbes if your station is of high quality and have live broadcast from time to time. Therefore I invested in two best tuners ever produced.

Dec 13, 2001 at 7:27 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by templeboy
Probably best invest in a good antenna like FM-2G first. IMHO, tuners are the best source better than best turntalbes if your station is of high quality and have live broadcast from time to time. Therefore I invested in two best tuners ever produced.

You're actually not far off imo, live radio broadcasts of concerts can be damn good minus the limitations of FM of course.

Dec 13, 2001 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 22
I'm a happy FM-2G owner as well... Great antenna. My tuner is a Magnum Dynalab M90, and I have nothing but high praises for it. The combo is very pleasing.

FWIW

Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back