Anyone use 18awg for headphone recabling?
Mar 20, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is going to be the most insanely stiff headphone cable ever!! even Jena 18AWG is IMO too stiff for a headphone cable and 18AWG jena is about the most flexible 18AWG wire around.

but I guess you know what you are doing...dont you??

good luck with that

Well, to be truthful, I use my HD650s mostly as a secondary reference to my speakers (B&W) when working on audio (mostly to check for bass issues) but when I do use them for just listening, I tend to lie down and zonk out, lol, so I suppose for anyone who likes to dance while listening through cans, this would definitely not be a good idea.

I ordered the Cardas plugs and will check out the posts to see if its even possible to get 18awg in there. It'll be fun, I'll practice my Litz braiding, haha. I'm definitely NOT going to do this for my 240DFs though; I just want to see (hear) for myself whether there's a difference between such a thick cable and the stock cable for myself really.

I want to know why there are people making such thick cables and why people are buying them, and because I would be able to switch out the cables fairly easy, I should get a good idea of whether this is useful or not.

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use 20 AWG multistranded silicon coated standard copper cables to my 650's. The silicon is very soft. This cable is softer than 26 AWG PTFE coated SPC cables.

Where do you find silicon coated wire?

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do you find silicon coated wire?

I buy it from a local store, something like a Swedish Radioshack. This kind of cables are used in RC-cars and planes as I understand it. Since it's very multistranded (looks like hair) and the silicon is quite thin, it's super soft.
attachment.php

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFi1972 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, to be truthful, I use my HD650s mostly as a secondary reference to my speakers (B&W) when working on audio (mostly to check for bass issues) but when I do use them for just listening, I tend to lie down and zonk out, lol, so I suppose for anyone who likes to dance while listening through cans, this would definitely not be a good idea.

I ordered the Cardas plugs and will check out the posts to see if its even possible to get 18awg in there. It'll be fun, I'll practice my Litz braiding, haha. I'm definitely NOT going to do this for my 240DFs though; I just want to see (hear) for myself whether there's a difference between such a thick cable and the stock cable for myself really.

I want to know why there are people making such thick cables and why people are buying them, and because I would be able to switch out the cables fairly easy, I should get a good idea of whether this is useful or not.

you should be able to get 18AWG in the cardas connectors, but my major worry is how my strain you will put on the connection with that wire.

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should be able to get 18AWG in the cardas connectors, but my major worry is how my strain you will put on the connection with that wire.

I don't think it'll be too bad, I'm going to use a 1/4" Neutrik connector, I might have to cut off some of the shell and then shrink-tube it to close it up and make it look neat. I also plan on making it kinda short, around 4 feet. I'll let you guys know what happens!

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFi1972 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it'll be too bad, I'm going to use a 1/4" Neutrik connector, I might have to cut off some of the shell and then shrink-tube it to close it up and make it look neat. I also plan on making it kinda short, around 4 feet. I'll let you guys know what happens!

not the 1/4" that should be fine. i'm talking about the strain on the tiny senn connectors. but I suppose all you can do is try it. 'Ues the force Luke!!' good luck man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back