Anyone use 18awg for headphone recabling?
Mar 16, 2009 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

HiFi1972

100+ Head-Fier
I just scored 50 feet of teflon-coated 18awg SPC for cheep. I plan on making some cables for other components in my system, this is why I originally bought it for, but now looking at it in person, it doesn't seem too large of a gauge for doing headphone recabling, so I'm wondering if anyone out there has done a headphone recable with this gauge and if so, what was the outcome (it's plenty flexible, more than I thought).

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 22
18AWG is already too big for headphone recabling, IMO. This is also the opinion of a large number of members.

If we're talking about ex: the KOSS KSC75, then 24AWG is good.

22 Is more than enough for bigger cans. The currents travelling through these wires are very small.
18AWG is good for wiring powe sections of high current amplifiers like the B22.

You can use it, but it is overkill, IMO.

Manuel

ps: don't forget that even though a single wire might be flexible you need at least 4 wires for a headphone recable, plus some sort of protective sleeving. That won't be as flexible as a smaller gauge of stranded wire.

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 22
2 seconds faster!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 22
i say go for it because why not? however keep in mind

4x 18 gauge wont fit into a 3.5mm connector, 22 gauge is about as big as i could fit

if you are recabling your k240df, there are a few holes the wires need to go through that will probably have to be enlarged

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 22
Alright so, I've noticed that there are some aftermarket cables for the Senn HD650s that use 18awg cables (Jenna something or other).

Please keep in mind, I'm a newbie here and I'm not trying to start some s**t, I'm just wondering, is it based on the headphones and connectors? I do see they use the Cardas connectors, so I'm wondering how you guys feel about 18awg for the 650s?

BTW, thanks folks, this is an awesome forum and while I've yet to do anything crazy in the way of DIY, I am learning a lot!

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 22
lol ive used 16awg before for an interconnect and LOD. Only because I was waiting for my cables in the mail and only had 16awg from my car stereo laying around. SQ wise I can't hear a difference but i prefer thicker cables.

Mar 19, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 22
this is why i love this forum.. i was thinking about using a similar stranded gauge wire to braid and use in recable jobs... i knew this would be overly thick... i guess i just like the feeling of a thick cable (lol...)

ill probably end up with cardas however....

not to go too far off topic.. but does anyone know anyone else beside moon audio to purchase cardas cable @ a good price???? search isnt providing much.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolsnipe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i say go for it because why not?

Because the larger the gauge, the heavier and more inflexible (generalising) it will be. So it will start to annoy that every time you move your head, the cable pulls.

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #13 of 22
I've decided to make a 18awg cable for my 650s, all it's going to run me is the expense of some Cardas plugs, since I have the 18awg SPC cable already, and plenty of shrink tubing, and some extra gold 1/4" Neutriks on hand. The cool thing is that on these, I'd be able to swap the stock cable versus the heavy cable and hopefully be able to tell a difference; will report later.

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #14 of 22
that is going to be the most insanely stiff headphone cable ever!! even Jena 18AWG is IMO too stiff for a headphone cable and 18AWG jena is about the most flexible 18AWG wire around.

but I guess you know what you are doing...dont you??

good luck with that

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #15 of 22
I use 20 AWG multistranded silicon coated standard copper cables to my 650's. The silicon is very soft. This cable is softer than 26 AWG PTFE coated SPC cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back