Anyone try out the DT770 leatherette pads?
Feb 5, 2009 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

solessthanthree

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to grab some DT770pros and was wondering if anyone could comment on the leatherette pads included from the Beyer outlet store link

I've always been a fan of the velor since I find them to be very comfortable. If they end up being really cheap and peeling, I'd rather pick up a used pair in the FS/T forum.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :]

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 16
I don't foresee any problems with the velor being cheap or peeling. Mine seem very well made. I have only had them a couple months but they see lots of use and not a single sign of wear yet. I think that the foam inside will break down and flatten out before the velor peels. No comment on the leatherette pads, no experience with them.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 16
I have the leatherette. They are soft and comfortable. They isolate better than the velour. They seem like they will be durable. If you get them from Beyer on ebay they come with new pads.

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 16
Have you tried the black velour from headphile? i've heard they do a better job than the silver because of the material theyre backed with or something.
not a fan of leatherette, personally... find it can get hot.

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #7 of 16
I had one of those Beyer softskin PVC pads, and they were quite comfortable and durable.

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by solessthanthree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to grab some DT770pros and was wondering if anyone could comment on the leatherette pads included from the Beyer outlet store link

I've always been a fan of the velor since I find them to be very comfortable. If they end up being really cheap and peeling, I'd rather pick up a used pair in the FS/T forum.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :]

Velour or leatherette is chosen for earpads for goods technical reasons..

Closed headphones, like the DT 770 you have chosen, need a good seal to the head to get the sound right - this means that you need leatherette earpads.

Velour earpads are more comfortable, especially as they are breathable, but they don't give the seal necessary for closed headphones.

Leatherette is a difficult material to get right and there are quite a few compromises in the design. The requirements are to seal against the head, be comfortable, but to last as well.

Some materials go hard after a while and then get very uncomfortable and the seal is then not so good either.

Current leatherette material gives a good seal and is pretty comfortable - the downside is that it can react to your sweat and can peel after a while necessitating replacing the earpads - depends on the actual material and your sweat as to how long it takes; but is the best compromise between the necessary seal and comfort and long life, putting the first two more important than the last. Peeling does *not* mean cheap (in fact some cheap ones are less likely to peel) but the material is chosen as it's the best compromise for the headphones.

If you put velour pads on, they would be more comfortable and long lasting, but would not seal so well and would affect the sound of the headphones.

It's always best to use the earpads that the headphones were designed to use in the first place.

This would be true of all headphone manufacturers, which is why I am talking about it here.

I hope this helps.

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Current leatherette material gives a good seal and is pretty comfortable - the downside is that it can react to your sweat and can peel after a while necessitating replacing the earpads

this was so damn annoying on the cd3k, they would end up in millions little black pieces after 6 months/1 year...I'll never buy fake leather cans EVER again
very_evil_smiley.gif

lambskin looks nice, though...but velours is just too cheap, comfortable and long lasting to pass it I think
redface.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's always best to use the earpads that the headphones were designed to use in the first place.

With the exception of the M model, all DT770's were designed for velour earpads.

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the exception of the M model, all DT770's were designed for velour earpads.

That's the answer then.............

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the foam inside will break down and flatten out before the velor peels.

I already went through one pair of DT770 pads, when the foam did flatten and the driver ended resting partly on my ear, which was uncomfortable.
So now I have new ones, any protip on how they might last longer? I keep headphones on for extended periods of time. Basically all the time when I'm on the computer, while gaming, watching shows, listening music, etc.

Am I expecting too much from simple foam? Are there any other materials that are stiffer, maybe with better "memory" than foam?

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by low-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I expecting too much from simple foam? Are there any other materials that are stiffer, maybe with better "memory" than foam?

Perhaps the gel pads you can order from the Beyer webshop.....

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And unfortunately, the M model sounds like garbage. I don't necessarily blame the leatherette though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back