Anyone Try Acoustibuds Adapters Yet?
Dec 28, 2008 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jant71

Headphoneus Supremus
Anybody tried these yet?
Amazon.com: ACOUSTIBUDS Silicone Adapters for Earphones, CES 2009 INNOVATIONS AWARD, MADE IN USA, Fits Ipod / Zune / Sansa / Sony / Creative / Many More Mp3 Players (Black, Two Pair, Two Sizes) from Burton Technologies: Electronics

Most previous attempts at earphone adapters have failed and here we have another one that I just came across. I have an Amazon gift certificate and $13 isn't so bad so I have them in my cart; just finding some CDs/DVDs to buy to get the free shipping and I'll see if/how they work out.

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 10
They look quite evil, really remind me the Teac IEM everyone forgets about.

Dec 29, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 10
I fear completely sealing an earphone made to not be completely sealed. Unless somehow those earbuds actually seal in some peoples ears... they barely even dangle on mine.

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 10
My Acoustibuds showed up today along with my blue Nuforce icon mobile. Here are a couple of pics.

P1010023.jpg

On my Gigabeat U stock buds.
P1010024.jpg

They do actually work unlike Slic Sounds and some others. The earphones I have aren't the best for them since one is a bit large and the other is not perfectly round. Perfectly round would be the best. There is a list of compatible earphones on acoustibuds.com. I tried them on three phones and got them to fit and work reasonably well. I did have the PK2 before and their diameter is smaller and I believe they would fit well on the PK's. If your earphones have a removable silicone or rubber ring around the edge that you can remove that will make them fit even better.

They come like in the picture with two sizes only. Should be three though. I use the large with 6 fins and the 5 fin small is a bit small for me. A medium size would be nice. I feel they would do well to make a newer version that are a bit longer as well. They are stretchy silicone and go on pretty easy in about five seconds a side.

These are not going to be perfect but they work nicely. Don't expect major isolation even if they fit really well. Pretty much simple EX71-like canalphone isolation at best. As I said the bigger earphones plus the added width of the adapters prevent them from inserting further on my average size ears. Smaller buds like the PK's would fit better. They still fit well are fairly comfortable and don't come out. They take a little practice and fiddling with the installing for the correct angle and getting a good fit.

They will add ~5 or 6dB of bass so that may be too much depending and require some EQ reduction of bass or adding of treble. They obviously pair or match better with lighter thinner sounding buds if you want balance and they will do the trick for those who want more bass. I dug my Philips SBC HS395 out of the drawer and it makes them usable instead of anemic sounding.

They keep the soundstage reasonably well and adds a little bit of honk or echo. I have not used them outside yet will be the real test. The added bit of bass and bloom may be canceled out in the real world. We'll see how they sound and isolate out on a windy NY winter day. So far so good though. Not going to be audiophile but they seem like the first actually usable set of these type I have tried. They might make the Yuins usable as canalphones more than their screw on sound tubes do. Might be worth a try or keeping an eye on the next model from them that might be really good.

Jan 3, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 10
These can also be used on some canalphones and IEMs depending on shape. They make great tips for the J2 and Ultimate Ears.

P1010026.jpg

P1010027.jpg

Jan 4, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 10
So you own(ed) various IEM's, how would you describe the comfort of these tips?

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 10
Yep, now there are the Yurbud enhancers which are said(and should be) much better. Conveniently, I have a couple of pairs coming in the mail today and they are similar to the acoustibuds as they are the isolating model with the flanges. I have two pairs of buds that have ability but just not enough bass/warmth, the TC100 and UU2. They should make good in-ears after conversion though provided the enhancers work well with them.

There is some variation with the Yurbuds. Both smaller and larger models as Yurbuds have two size drivers(need to check what size you'll need) and they also have ambient enhancers as well as the isolating I bought.

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #10 of 10
  Yep, now there are the Yurbud enhancers which are said(and should be) much better. Conveniently, I have a couple of pairs coming in the mail today and they are similar to the acoustibuds as they are the isolating model with the flanges. I have two pairs of buds that have ability but just not enough bass/warmth, the TC100 and UU2. They should make good in-ears after conversion though provided the enhancers work well with them.

There is some variation with the Yurbuds. Both smaller and larger models as Yurbuds have two size drivers(need to check what size you'll need) and they also have ambient enhancers as well as the isolating I bought.

Awesome thanks for the tip! 
Checked them out, looks good! Ordering them now and looking forward to have a go at them
Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back