Anyone tried the Astro A40s ?
May 1, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dihnekis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the a40 headphones. My Halo 3 MLG team got them, and they are absolutely great for what they do... which is allow our team to hear 5 voices at once on our own channel, easily hooked up through the mixamp. The soundstage is good, and they provide excellent positioning in COD4 and Halo 3.

My main headphone setup is a pair of Grado SR-225s with a Little Dot Micro + playing flac files through a silverstone EB01 DAC. This setup is much, much better for music than the A40s hooked up through their mixamp playing FLAC files. I haven't tried them with the silverstone yet... but my initial impression is that they have a good soundstage for music, but lack real clarity and the wonderful sound that I get from my SR-225s.

However, for gaming they are incredible, although I haven't even tried the 5.1 yet. I am used to really good positioning using just stereo from my CS days, so I'm in no rush to go to it, nor do I know how it works or if 5.1 in headphones can ever actually be good. I probably wouldn't pay $250 for them, because I could just use my Grados with a nice mic if I wanted, but I got them for free and they make hearing my teammates really easy, so I will keep using them.

Sweet, Free?! WHat team are you on, I was unaware of MLG or Astro giving them to any of the teams yet.

Anyways, has anyone else used these?....my pair arrives today or tomorrow. RIght now I use HD580's. I cant really see them being beat out....but they look cool, and I am writing a review on them.

May 17, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #32 of 36
I'm planning to get the Astro Gaming A40 Mixer only to use with my computer and Xbox 360. I want it mainly for the dolby headphone decoding, and only partially for the amp. I'm using a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780s and they have a frequency range of 10-26.000 Hz while the A40 mixer only lists a frequency range of 35 - 20,000 Hz on their website. Will this smaller range be noticeable for me?

Sep 13, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #33 of 36
I've been looking at the A40 among other surround headsets and I don't see how they could be all they're cracked up to be. It seems they only have one driver in each ear so to say "pinpoint-accurate 5.1 Dolby Digital" is misleading. I wanted a surround sound headset for gaming but if this is the best offering for gaming I'll stick with my HD650s. Others I've looked at are offerings from Turtle Beach, Tritton, and Plantronics.

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking at the A40 among other surround headsets and I don't see how they could be all they're cracked up to be. It seems they only have one driver in each ear so to say "pinpoint-accurate 5.1 Dolby Digital" is misleading. I wanted a surround sound headset for gaming but if this is the best offering for gaming I'll stick with my HD650s. Others I've looked at are offerings from Turtle Beach, Tritton, and Plantronics.

No it's not.. Stereo headphones are more then capable of pinpoint accuracy.. Try listen to binaural recording. Make 5.1 sound like mono.. & why would you want to dumb down your gaming experience with headphones from TB/Tri/Plant?

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Turn the crossfeed of your amp powering the 650's on. I think you will get better results than trying to use the any of the gaming headsets you mention. I thnk the mixamp would be a worhtwhile investment though, especially if you play games on a 360.

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #36 of 36
I did a mod on my astro a40. Open up the driver housing and behind the driver is a black adhesive material stuck to the inside of the driver housing.Remove this sticky material. Now this headset has a complete new sound,truly open and sounds very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back