Anyone tried the Astro A40s ?
Feb 14, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just felt like I read through a prolonged publicized PM session.

cause it was one =P lol

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cause it was one =P lol

lol

Hey i thought of something.....people say that 8 driver headphones are crap cuz for their price you can get better stereo ones . For instance , KBI said that 130 $ trittons have sq of 40 $ stereo phones . Now the astros ive heard have the quality of the 100$ sennheiser 555 but their 250 ....

Seems to be the same thing . Ya they sound better than the trittons(i guess with all of what ive read ) but dosn't the same thing apply ? For 250 you can get EVEN BETTER sq in stereo right ?

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrackerJack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol

Hey i thought of something.....people say that 8 driver headphones are crap cuz for their price you can get better stereo ones . For instance , KBI said that 130 $ trittons have sq of 40 $ stereo phones . Now the astros ive heard have the quality of the 100$ sennheiser 555 but their 250 ....

Seems to be the same thing . Ya they sound better than the trittons(i guess with all of what ive read ) but dosn't the same thing apply ? For 250 you can get EVEN BETTER sq in stereo right ?

The 250.00 includes the mixamp which is 130.00..

Feb 17, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #30 of 36
I have the a40 headphones. My Halo 3 MLG team got them, and they are absolutely great for what they do... which is allow our team to hear 5 voices at once on our own channel, easily hooked up through the mixamp. The soundstage is good, and they provide excellent positioning in COD4 and Halo 3.

My main headphone setup is a pair of Grado SR-225s with a Little Dot Micro + playing flac files through a silverstone EB01 DAC. This setup is much, much better for music than the A40s hooked up through their mixamp playing FLAC files. I haven't tried them with the silverstone yet... but my initial impression is that they have a good soundstage for music, but lack real clarity and the wonderful sound that I get from my SR-225s.

However, for gaming they are incredible, although I haven't even tried the 5.1 yet. I am used to really good positioning using just stereo from my CS days, so I'm in no rush to go to it, nor do I know how it works or if 5.1 in headphones can ever actually be good. I probably wouldn't pay $250 for them, because I could just use my Grados with a nice mic if I wanted, but I got them for free and they make hearing my teammates really easy, so I will keep using them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back