anyone tried Darkvoice 337se
Dec 18, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Little Dot only charges $45.00 to ship any of their amps from China to Canada. Knowing that little fact makes one go ??? when DV charges almost double.

Not when one considers that a 3322 weighs over double what a LD III weighs, and a 337 quadruple
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Yea, but I can get a Woo3 shipped from the U.S. for much less and if there is an issue with the amp then shipping back to the U.S. is much better than having to ship back to China. Is the DV better than Woo3? I doubt it. And if you agreed to pay $92.00 USD to have a Transport shipped from the U.S. then I have to question your sensibilities.

An alternate reality is a smart place to be, most indeed.

First, I owned both the Woo 3 and Woo 6 and I now have a DV 336SE. I definitely prefer the DV 336SE for sound quality. I would look at the 336SE vs the 337SE if you want to save and still better the Woo 3.

Next, you are quibbling about shipping yet you seem to neglect the total cost ....

A new DV 336SE I looked up on ebay is $289 plus $70 shipping = approximately $360. The Woo 3 is $470 plus $20 shipping = $490.

Furthermore, you neglect to consider tube cost. The Woo 3 uses 6922 input tubes which are extremely expensive for good ones .... and after years of using 6922/6dj8s in preamps, IMO, they are not a very rugged or long lasting tube = more money. The 6SN7GT used in the DV 336SE is an expensive tube too but they do hold up well. Moreover, there are two 6922s in the Wo 3 vs only one 6SN7GT in the DV 336SE which means you will have a tougher time finding matched tubes along with even more $$$. You can spend a fair portion of the cost of the Woo 3 just looking for tubes that make the amp sound good.

If I were you I wouldnt worry about the alternate reality .... I would pay attention to bottom line.

So what is the bottom line?

With a 336SE ... $130 less total cost, much lower tube cost and IMO a better sounding amp.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #18 of 42
So the "SE" its only an stetic improvement??(IMO only a bit more smart, no big changes). Sure?
In 337 frequency response is 10Hz-20kHz, while in the SE seems to be 10Hz-30kHz.

OK with the weight/shipping-costs too. But doesn't matter much, hehe, looking at the total cost...its not very significant.

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not when one considers that a 3322 weighs over double what a LD III weighs, and a 337 quadruple
wink.gif

No kidding........I still say 80 CAD for a DV337SE shipped via EMS/DHL Air Express is a fantastic rate. In fact the poor deal in this case is the shipping cost of the MK III (of which I have one and did pay that amount, 45USD for DHL Express).

The 337SE has better quality parts in some key areas over the previous model. It's not just cosmetics like the 336SE.

Peete.

Dec 19, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a 336SE ... $130 less total cost, much lower tube cost and IMO a better sounding amp.

Perhaps, but in my experience most peoples opinions around here don't count for a hell of a lot. One person says DT880/990 are crap and another says they sound better than HD650. If I followed everyone's opinion I would never buy anything because no one can agree on anything when it comes to audio sound quality. The fact remains there is no way I am paying over $45.00 to ship any little headphone amp from anywhere.

DV336E better than Woo3, eh? Crap, now I have to go do more research because I had already decided to get Woo3 but now you are giving me cause for delay. Damn you!
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #21 of 42
If you have a problem with a Darkvoice product, you have to send it back to China to get it serviced under the warranty. Something I would never even consider. Everybody's entitled to their opinion. I'm not going to tell you what amp sounds better because everybody hears things differently.
I happen to love Woo products, and there are many people here who feel the same way.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Yea, but I can get a Woo3 shipped from the U.S. for much less and if there is an issue with the amp then shipping back to the U.S. is much better than having to ship back to China. Is the DV better than Woo3? I doubt it. And if you agreed to pay $92.00 USD to have a Transport shipped from the U.S. then I have to question your sensibilities.

An alternate reality is a smart place to be, most indeed.

There is no question... that this is the key point... in all of this discussion!

The Woo Audio amps, have a significant competitive advantage by being available in the US, with the solid backing of the "local" manufacturer.

While DarkVoice appears to back their products - some of their vendors don't, and, of course their is the huge time and cost factor of returning them to China for warranty repairs. And... of course... there are the "horror stories" of amps damaged by the "customs people."

For me... these disadvantages... make it very difficult to order another, specifically, if its costly. I loved my DV332 - few amps are any better... but... I don't think I'd ever "accept the risk" again of ordering one from China. I might buy one used in the US, though.

DarkVoice really needs to get a US dealer / service network to back their amps in the US.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #23 of 42
I agree with what you have said above, as relates to WooAudio. There are great US makers to tube headphone amps that have great support, like Woo, Decware, Eddie Current, and RSA, just to name a few.

However, as much as I like my SinglePower amps, I think it would be easier to get my Darkvoice amps serviced than the SP's, in spite of SP being a US company.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #25 of 42
I thought I'd might update my situation.

My dealer is going to split the costs of shipping with me and pay for the return trip as well. I'll give it a shot once more. They were fast and easy to deal with. Let's hope nothing bad happens this time.

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Perhaps, but in my experience most peoples opinions around here don't count for a hell of a lot. One person says DT880/990 are crap and another says they sound better than HD650. If I followed everyone's opinion I would never buy anything because no one can agree on anything when it comes to audio sound quality. The fact remains there is no way I am paying over $45.00 to ship any little headphone amp from anywhere.

DV336E better than Woo3, eh? Crap, now I have to go do more research because I had already decided to get Woo3 but now you are giving me cause for delay. Damn you!
wink.gif

Then you won't buy anything from China from any producer. Wow, that was easy to figure out!

I ordered a 337Se and it will arrive this week. The shipping was expensive. I paid $880 for the amp and $130 shipping. There is a big difference in the 337 and the 337SE. Almost every cap and resister has been upgraded. It has better hardwire, and the Input circuit is rewired to use the EF80. I'll post pix of mine when I get it. Prickly Peete will appreciate the changes from what he has done to the Zero project. I looked at the about $270 difference as what a lot of us do in Mods anyhow. This one is pre-modded. What I didn't like is that the Caps were all Metal strapped in on the 337 and are zip tied on the 337se. Admittedly there is not a lot of room for straps in the 337se. The caps are monster size.

It is hard to eat that shipping cost, no doubt. It's even worse when you worry about damage because a company does not understand that they should tape the cage in place adequately to keep damage from occurring during transport.

My experience with DV thus far remains to be seen. They don't speak English very well. I've asked the same question six times and never received an answer in regards to tube substitution. I don't think they understand the question.

On a more interesting note. I mentioned to the company that those 337SE photos on their website that were done professionally had the tube cage crooked in the Photos. It that were my company or most any other company I have seen, those Photos would be pulled down immediately. I look at those Photos and think how could a company be this sloppy!

I went ahead and ordered one from them anyhow based on what I had read about their other products and how well received the 337 was. We'll see if that was a smart move!

Anyhow, as far as shipping cost, it is what it is. This amp is 15 kg or so. That costs money to send via airmail overseas. You could send by a cheaper route, but it is gonna take a couple of months and no way it survives the trip. I collect Leather flight Jackets. They weigh a like 1.5 KG at best to ship. A lot of them come from the UK, and I have to pay $50 shipping. That's life! Nothing I can do about that. I tried complainin', it don't make it any cheaper.

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #27 of 42
Hello, Wanted to revive this thread because this amp sure seems to be an interesting option for the money! it is on the head-direct page now. Does this mean that there is stock in the usa now too?
Damage during shipping would be a bummer... But then, i would be at risk anyway if i ever buy a tube amp because i live in the netherlands, no native tube amp makers here...
I hope someone gets the dv337se soon and that there will be a comparison to some other tube amps sometime...
Yeah, people that dont speak english well on a support team with english customers is a bummer...
Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #28 of 42
I might have tried the 337SE, except that I have built up a nice collection of 6SJ7GT's, and the switch to the 6BX6 tube for me is kind of a bummer, although I know that some folks think it's a better sounding, or at least less fussy, tube.

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #29 of 42
Hello,
I've had one for about 2 weeks now. I am preparing a review of it. It has been burning in for the last two weeks plus. So I've got about 400 hours on it. I'll start a separate thread though. I'll post a link here. I can tell you though, I'm VERY happy with it. It will drive anything EASILY!

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #30 of 42
Hello,
Thought I would post some PIX of the insides of the DV 337 and the 337SE

Stock 337
>>
>>
20070711_8da3b9c2ff9f62d0036drWsWHbr5cuzx.jpg

>>
>>

My 337SE
>>
>>
337_resize.jpg

>>
>>

The Hard wire on the 337SE is supposed to be Gold Plated Copper or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back