Anyone spend lots of $$$$$$ on sunglasses???
Jul 5, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #16 of 52
I have a $200 pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. I love 'em. I used to think that you are only paying for a name but I don't feel that way now. I used to buy cheap sunglasses and they would be scratched and bent in no time, but I've had these for a year and a half and only have one little speck on the left lens, and it is invisable when I put them on. Anyway, I can get new lenses for $60. I can't really say how I feel about them without sounding like I am selling them though.

What I don't get is why people would buy non-polarized glasses. Sure polarization costs more, but it cuts out so much glare. Perhaps I just like it because it gives me an edge while trout fishing. Heck, even when driving it keeps my windshield from reflecting my dashboard, which is nice.

Just buy a hard case and use a clean micro-fiber lens cloth!. Those are the two things I credit the most for me being able to keep my glasses in good shape. The hard case is a good addition (buy a decent one, the cheap ones have fuzzy stuff inside that gets on the glasses meaning you have to clean them every time), but a clean lens cloth is vital. Dirt doesn't scratch, but a dirty cloth will.

Heh, 500th post, and it isn't about headphones.

Jul 5, 2002 at 10:25 AM Post #17 of 52
The most I would spend on sunglasses is $100, and it has to be a damn good lens. You can get the frames for cheap at flea markets. I tried that EagleEye ****, it was a good lens, but I absolutely hated the tint, I prefer a warm yet clear tone (amberish). I have Oakleys right now with a copper frame. I might try some RayBans sometime.

Jul 5, 2002 at 12:24 PM Post #19 of 52
I'm one of those people that has to have the absolute best of whatever I buy or I'm just miserable that I didn't buy the better something or another every time I use it. Unfortunately, that means I typically just do without most things as I quickly run out of funds.

A while back I had a $300 pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. I know there are more expensive ones but for non-perscription, it was really up there. I insisted on having the black tinted ones--not the beige and I insisted on metal frames, so Maui Jim was the only company making them to my spec. Unfortunately, they were in the Type R when it was stolen and totalled and I needed the insurance money too badly at the time to buy new ones.

Now, of course, I have no sunglasses. But they were nice...

Jul 5, 2002 at 12:31 PM Post #20 of 52
I wore Ray Ban Avaitors with behind the ear loops for years. My Son bought me a pair of Ray Bans that are not as wide and more of the current style that I have been wearing the last 5 years.

Jul 5, 2002 at 12:43 PM Post #21 of 52
i've got a pair of oakley juliets, with prescription lenses.

one piece of advice -- don't get an optometrist to make lenses to go in them; buy the lenses from oakley. i swear they are sharper and better quality than my normal glasses, which cost me AU$400.

then again, the juliets would set you back AU$580, so i guess you get what you pay for.

nothing and nobody could tear me away from my juliets. they are comfy, crystal clear, look great, strong as hell, and you can perv to your heart's content.

not that i would ever do that. at the beach. in the summer. no sir.
cool.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 5, 2002 at 3:10 PM Post #22 of 52
Do what I did. Have a father who's an optometrist. I get all the prescription sunglasses I need, shaded to my specifications, and he's never sent me a bill...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 5, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #24 of 52
i got a pair of serengeti drivers. nice design, good lenses, but the wire frame broke within a couple months. NEXT!

i've been through a few pairs of smith sunglasses. ok lenses but very poor construction. NEXT!

i've tried killer loop. great style, but absolutely crap build quality and lenses. NEXT!

i've tried nikon sunglasses. these were actually pretty good, with a solid build and fantastic optics. mine were stolen.

ray ban metal frame sunglasses are absolutely the best for me. i have a few pairs that are coming up on 10 years old. great optics, and you just can't break them.

i also like the vaurnet plastic frames. again, bombproof build quality and great optics, almost as good as ray ban.

i also have a pair of the original gargoyle sunglasses. if i ever crash my bike again i hope i'm wearing my gargoyles. toughest sunglasses ever.

Jul 5, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

I am ashamed...I got a pair of Revos.

Don't be ashamed MD, I have a pair of Revo's too and I like them better than looking through my own eyes!

Quote:

What I don't get is why people would buy non-polarized glasses. Sure polarization costs more, but it cuts out so much glare.

I originally bought my polarized Revo's to fly. Unfortunately, I found out that commercial aircraft instruments are slightly polarized as well as the windshields. So that meant sometimes not seeing the gauges or even outside. That would be bad.
eek.gif
I also found out that my clear visor on my motorcycle helmet is also slightly polarized creating opaque rainbow designs in front of me. Now I have a GREAT pair of driving sunglasses only since I will not use them in any type of athletic activity at all. Oh well. I don't love them any less.
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2002 at 8:12 PM Post #26 of 52
Oakley Square Wire 2.0 all the way. The two-way spring hinge is very nice -- makes sure they don't bend or stretch at all if you wear them on your head, which I do frequently. I just wish Oakleys had a better warranty -- I killed a pair of A-Wires last year after only about a year of use.

Most of the counterfeit Oakleys in DC say 'Okley' on them, but with a kind of line from the 'O' to the 'K,' so it's hard to notice the difference. You can get them in New York, too, but buying counterfeit ones is kind of missing the point. Yes, people buy Oakleys for their looks, but also because they're great sunglasses.

By the way, never buy Oakleys from oakley.com. Even from an authorized dealer, you can almost always find them cheaper locally.

kerelybonto

Jul 6, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #28 of 52
I buy about a pair per year in the $100-150 range, simply for a change in look. Also, I need to wear them or else I'd squint too much and ending up looking mean.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back