Anyone running out to get the ipod hifi?
Feb 28, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #31 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
EDIT - also, does this mean the docked iPod is NOT relying on its internal DAC, and instead is sending a digital signal to this thing's internal DAC? Now THAT could be interesting. We could cannibalize this thing's dock then, and figure out how to make a portable digital output from the ipod finally!

That WOULD be interesting, but I doubt that the DAC is bypassed.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #32 of 99
This thing isn't really a dissapointment to me, since I was never interested in one anyway. I've got semi-decent speakers as it is... and they're actually stereo.

I'm way more dissapointed in the new Mac mini... I was totally ready to plunk down the $600 for a dual core model.

But wait, it's MORE money? WITH INTEGRATED GRAPHICS?

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #34 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Looks like Bose to me.

cant be bose becuase then there would be no specs besides "IT SOUNDS AMAZING!! BELIEVE ME!! IT REALLY DOES!!! I SWEAR!!! PLEASE BELIEVE ME!!!"

k1000smile.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #35 of 99
Whether it's good, bad, or indifferent, look for it in "executive" offices everywhere
rolleyes.gif
. It should be a big seller for Father's Day in the U.S.

For some reason I kind of like the idea of it, for all its limitations ... and I might consider one as a needless splurge if I had an iPod with a docking port (my now-shelved early iPod doesn't have one) ... but I think I'll just have to settle for playing my Rio Karma through its dock's RCA outs into a home stereo -- a little closer to "hi-fi," I would think.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #36 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
Whether it's good, bad, or indifferent, look for it in "executive" offices everywhere
rolleyes.gif
. It should be a big seller for Father's Day in the U.S.

For some reason I kind of like the idea of it, for all its limitations ... and I might consider one as a needless splurge if I had an iPod with a docking port (my now-shelved early iPod doesn't have one) ... but I think I'll just have to settle for playing my Rio Karma through its dock's RCA outs into a home stereo -- a little closer to "hi-fi," I would think.

i mean, i guess it's sorta like a Corda Aria - with analog mini in and optical mini in instead of a usb in. and no analog outs. and no headphone out. but with speakers and a dock. both come with integrated dac and amp.

i GUESS it's sorta the same. for the casual user, it doesn't look too bad. plus it's more portable, and it can use batteries.

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #37 of 99
Well the way I look at this product is it's not geared towards "audiophiles" like they say, that's just marketing hype most likely.

I'm sure the average consumer would be more than satisfied with the product until they find out how much it costs...

Personally I just use a dock and plug that into my vintage Realistic receiver and it's adequate when i'm not listening to my headphones (doing house work etc.). Probably sounds as good or better than that thing anyhow and it costed a fraction of the price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Compared to the other "sound dock" type devices i've seen it does seem pretty nice though.

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #38 of 99
It figures since Bose and Klipsch do the same thing. The Altec offerings are decent if you are looking for dockable audio.

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #40 of 99
oh cool an optical in

now if it only was like 200 cheaper i would finally have a boombox that i could use my iriver with... err 250 cheaper

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #41 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
does this mean the docked iPod is NOT relying on its internal DAC, and instead is sending a digital signal to this thing's internal DAC? Now THAT could be interesting.

The Monitor Audio i-Deck has an internal ADC > DAC (plus digital amplification and, I assume, some dsp/eq to help the speakers out). I think I read it over at that "hack your ipod with Linux" site, there's no digital out (currently) possible from an iPod.

It's obvious (from your pic) that Apple has a DAC in the "Hi-Fi", but I expect it's mostly to make the unit compatible with the Airport.

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #42 of 99
I think anyone who is bitching about apple is a bit off the mark, incase you haven't noticed, about 99% of ipod users don't give a toss about audio quality (they still go around wearing the ipod earphones). What they do care about is sleek minimal design and apple has provided a pretty neat package. Its a stereo for the home and a stereo for the park and holidays. This is what ppl want. The only thing i would say is that it would have been great for it to have some sort of internal rechargable battery but i know that the cost would have been an issue there.

orfeo

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #43 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by orfeo
I think anyone who is bitching about apple is a bit off the mark, incase you haven't noticed, about 99% of ipod users don't give a toss about audio quality (they still go around wearing the ipod earphones). What they do care about is sleek minimal design and apple has provided a pretty neat package. Its a stereo for the home and a stereo for the park and holidays. This is what ppl want. The only thing i would say is that it would have been great for it to have some sort of internal rechargable battery but i know that the cost would have been an issue there.

orfeo

Agreed, but then Apple shouldn't call it an audiophile-grade device.

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #44 of 99
I am no apple fan (read my profile, I own no apple product), but I think before we pass judgement on this product, we should have at least heard it first. This thing looks at least interesting. But it's too expensive compared to alternatives like a TiVoli model 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back