Anyone running out to get the ipod hifi?
Mar 10, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #91 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Hmm, seems like Apple and Bose have a bit in common these days. Overpriced, overhyped, sub-par and very well marketed to people who don't know any better or are easily impressed. I think the 'faithful' fall into the Apple trap all too easily.

Why not save the rampant overgeneralisation for elsewhere? There is very little to back up the claim you just made about the company and its products in general, if anything at all, and if you intended it to apply to just the iPod Hi-Fi then I think you should have said so.

And regarding the iPod Hi-Fi, how can you use the phrase 'sub-par'? That means that its performance is lower than average in it's product category. How is that the case here?

If this were a headphone that you had not actually heard yourself, you would never make a comment like that regarding the company that made it, and if you did it would garner a fairly vitrioloic response.

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #92 of 99
Hey, haven't heard the Apple Hifi, but I bet it is decent for what it is...ie: competition for Bose, Altec Lansing, JBL and the other big boys that play to this price point...

AND

for those contesting Job's "audiophile" status (dubious distinction), I have a TIME magazine photo of him back in the eighties sitting in his living room in front of a pair of ACOUSTAT electrostatic speakers while in blissful audiophile repose. No kidding.

And by the way, the Acoustats probably had about the same frequency response back in those days as the HIFI 50 to 16khz + or - 3 dB. Of course they are electrostatics...but a $350 retail device that even publishes specs on frequency response is a rarity. Seen one from Bose?

And you iPod haters -- get a life.

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #93 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
And regarding the iPod Hi-Fi, how can you use the phrase 'sub-par'? That means that its performance is lower than average in it's product category. How is that the case here?

Well I assumed the term 'sub par' was used to indicate that it performed poorly for a $350 system...

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #94 of 99
I got to listen to one the other day in a fairly empty Apple store. I will say this, it sounds terrible up close, if you are 10 feet or closer. It's muddied and distorted with no soundstage. However I was able to stand about 10 feet away from it and still able to face it. It sounds much much better from a distance, and it sounded decent at a higher volume. No, this thing is not the end all and be all, but it's not meant to be.

Marketing is marketing, hell every company does it. What is Apple going to say, and now introducing our decent sounding speaker system! it is expensive, but for a lot of people, it will be plenty of system and they will love it.

This doesn't mean Apple is not a good company, they are simply going for the mass market where the money is, not the hi fi market, where, lets be honest, there isn't a big market. How many of us, get made fun of for spending over $200 on headphones by our friends. That is my rant. Thanks for reading LOL.

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #95 of 99
Sub par is indeed for the price and the wild claims of Steve Jobs. I also don't hate the ipod, I just don't particularly care about it since I auditioned one a couple of years ago. Then it was under par on battery life, sound quality and it was always one of the most expensive, most hyped and most marketed.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #96 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
Has anyone heard this with, ya know, DECENTLY encoded music?

That's why I took my iPod nano, which only has Apple lossless tracks.

As for comparing Apple to Bose, ouch! That is harsh and probably uncalled for. As far as I can see, the drivers on the iPod "HiFi" are not made from recycled coffee filters...

If someone really wants something like this, the Tivoli Songbook2 seems like a much better choice.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #97 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid
If someone really wants something like this, the Tivoli Songbook2 seems like a much better choice.

Great product, I can vouch for it!

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #98 of 99
Note the reviewer's reference system is worth about 10 grand.

Review by hifi heretic (A) on March 09, 2006 at 17:50:19
IP Address: 71.225.111.149Add Your Review
for the iPod Hi-Fi

I’m sure there will be those who feel a review of such a product is out of place here at Audio Asylum. I disagree. ..To me, it meets all the criteria: It’s a speaker system - albeit an active one as it has a built-in digital amp (and DAC) - and it’s intended to play music. Voila, it qualifies! Of course, to use it you must have either an iPod or some other MP3 player that has either a line-level output or a digital out (for such applications, the Hi-Fi has an input jack that accepts either a 3.5mm miniplug or a mini-Toslink digital plug).

I purchased this as a means of bringing my music to those places that my primary system (2 Sony 400 disc changers, Bryston BP25 Preamp, Bryston 3BSST Amp, and Vandersteen 3A sig speakers) cannot go – which is pretty much everywhere. ..It’s home will be our bedroom, then come spring it will be frequently walked to the deck or to our friends pool.

Physically, the Hi-Fi is darned impressive. As stated is one of the consumer reviews at Apple.com, “the thing feels as though it were chiseled from a billet of resin.” Rap on the top, sides or baffle and you hear no resonating. ..It’s solid as a rock. To ease carrying, there are reinforced handles molded into the casework. Control-wise, there isn’t much to it: two simple buttons control volume, the rest is controlled via the iPod itself. Apple’s now ubiquitous remote is also included which allows control of the volume and to move forward/ back in the playlist.

Mounted flush against the baffle are three drivers: two 3” full-rangers flanking a 5” woofer. Interesting, no tweeter! I’m not sure, but they appear to be synthetic cones suspended by rubber surrounds. Appearance-wise… Well, this is so subjective that you simply have to visit their website and make your own judgement. Personally, I like it. With it’s squareish shape and mostly white, glossy finish it certainly bears an obvious resemblance to it’s sibling products the ipod, and iMac (we just bought one of these a few weeks ago – great machine). On the back, the twist of coin will unlock a latch to access the battery compartment. Six D-cells are said to provide 4+ hours of near maximum power (while charging your iPod to boot!).

Sound. From the get-go it’s obvious that some compromises had to be made in designing this product. ..Though the Hi-Fi comes respectably close, I really doubt that full-range sound could be achieved from a portable 17”x7”x7” amplifier/speaker system that is durable, plays VERY loud, and sells at a sensible price point. While the Hi-Fi does come close on the high frequency side, it falls pretty far short on the low-end. Thankfully, the bass that isn’t filtered out is tight and tuneful. Personally, I much prefer the bass is rolled off at a reasonable depth then to have a speaker make an awful racket (vibrate, clank, etc..) trying to hit the low low low notes.

It’s important to judge this product for what it is – a portable sound system which should be used to provide background music in those places where it’s impractical to drag your primary sound rig. Of the other portables designed to partner w/ iPods (Logitech, Bose, Klipsch), the Hi-Fi clearly sounds the most musical (which IMHO is quite the same as saying accurate). Whereas the others all sound treble-enhanced (typical in most mass-market speakers, and more than a few high-end speakers too) the Hi-Fi sounds smooth and natural. It also beats the others in terms of it’s ability to play surprisingly loud without distorting. I have no idea how it does it with only 3 smallish drivers. I don’t know what the wattage output is as Apple doesn’t publish this spec. Of course, this is fine with us here at AA as we all know this spec is almost meaningless. Though I haven’t tried it outside, I’ll bet it will darn near fill our smallish backyard with sound. Imaging? Well, unless you place your head within 3’ of the drivers, your not going to sense much imaging; remember, it’s only 17” wide. That’s fine with me, because this will be used for background music for people who are either in motion or in conversation. Personally, when we entertain a group of people in our living room and I play my main system, I’ll often hit the mono button so that everyone is hearing the same thing.

Will purchasers of Hi-Fi dump their primary sound systems and use this exclusively - as suggested by Steve Jobs? Jeez, I hope not. Unless your primary system is a 1970’s Realistic Compact, most any home system will sound better. But just try dragging that home system onto your deck, then to the vacation house, then to your neighbors, then to the basement… Well, you get my point. For what it is, this product is very well made, sounds great, and works perfectly. I love it.

Product Weakness:slightly rolled off highs and lows. iPod stands straight up from top - bit odd looking.
Product Strengths:Very well built, runs on batteries, or AC (power supply built it - no wall wart!, excellent sound for size/price

Associated Equipment for this Review:
Amplifier:N/A
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated):N/A
Sources (CDP/Turntable):N/A
Speakers:Apple
Cables/Interconnects:N/A
Music Used (Genre/Selections):all genres; zero 7 to charles Mingus
Room Comments/Treatments:N/A
Time Period/Length of Audition:4 hours
Type of Audition/Review:product Owner
Your System (if other than home audition):described in review

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #99 of 99
Quote:

they need to do better than this. give us a real ipod phone already.

Imagine a Nano that's also a phone. That would be something.

If this was out when my sister went to Uni I'd have considered this hifi device as a gift. More convenient and probably better sounding than the typical student mini-system. Many of the mini-systems out there do not have line-in; an essential feature to hook up the student PC. Battery mode = party outside! Also in halls, most people don't put their separate speakers in sensible places for stereo any way, so nothing is lost there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back