Anyone running out to get the ipod hifi?
Feb 28, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #16 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Visigodo
Sorry, I don't want to get off-topic, but the only iPod that comes off the shelf (no mods) with some semi-decent sound is the Shuffle. When I compare the quality of my G4 iPod with my new iAudio U2, there's just no contest.

That has to do with the headphone amp circuit, not the DAC. The iPods at least from 3G to 5G have all had very good DACs. I don't know about the first two gens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMBrown
Those of you with lots of Apple Stock....I'm sorry!

Yeah, it must have sucked to have almost quadrupled their money over the last two years.

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #18 of 99
Quote:

hahahahaha...

What was Steve Jobs thinking? All this build-up to announce an over-priced, semi-useful "boombox" and a $100 iPod Sleeve!!!
icon10.gif

The Hi-Fi wasn't the big part of the announcment, Apple announced the Intel Mac Mini
icon10.gif
That's the big part
tongue.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #20 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
If you're talking about a G4 iPod, yeah, lousy audio. But the G5 iPod? Great sound. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the G5 iPod's sound quality, for a DAP. Don't make blanket statements about the whole iPod line... they differ greatly from model to model.

Yeah, I didn't have a chance to check out any of the G5 iPods, and I'm glad they fixed the amp. My impression of the iPod, based on my own purchase, was quite poor. I mean, it cost me $400 yet the sound has been quite sub-par. I was very disappointed, to say the least.

I think I will eventually pass on my G4 to my nephew and get me a new player. I'll wait a gen or two to jump on a new iPod, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
Yeah, it must have sucked to have almost quadrupled their money over the last two years.

wink.gif
wink wink (glad I got in when I did)

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #21 of 99
Quote:

it seems right after the end of the announcement, the share went a bit down.
(but not even 3%, so all with some stocks: don't worry, be happy
eggosmile.gif
)

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #22 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Visigodo
Yeah, I didn't have a chance to check out any of the G5 iPods, and I'm glad they fixed the amp. My impression of the iPod, based on my own purchase, was quite poor. I mean, it cost me $400 yet the sound has been quite sub-par. I was very disappointed, to say the least.

I think I will eventually pass on my G4 to my nephew and get me a new player. I'll wait a new gen or two to jump on a new iPod, though.

wink.gif
wink wink

I was also really dissapointed with the G4. That sort of distortion and all - around crappiness was totally unlistenable out of the headphone jack.

The G5 though... it's good. Even the headphone jack is real good. Listen to someone's at a meet, you'll like it.

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #23 of 99
yay, more consumer junk.

they need to do better than this. give us a real ipod phone already.

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #24 of 99
It's a very strange move by Apple. Aren't there hundreds of ipod speaker/radio hookup devices already?

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #25 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by solbergg
It's a very strange move by Apple. Aren't there hundreds of ipod speaker/radio hookup devices already?

Yes there are. iPod accessories are a billion plus dollar per year industry and Apple want to be cashing in on that. Cases and speakers are the most popular ones.

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #26 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by solbergg

that is kind of my disappointment too. as if this thing, which is more expensive than most of what's already available, is really going to steal the accessory market and generate some big $$ for apple.

i can see a lot of people at apple cringing that this was the best they could come up with.

i'm hoping there are other products in the works that will re-establish apple as an innovator, and this thing is just filling in a brief timeline gap.

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #27 of 99
Quote:

Apparently a "wide frequency range" is 53Hz - 16kHz.

That's actually very good for a boom box, but if I were in the market for such a thing, I'd go for the (same price) Monitor Audio i-Deck.

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #28 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
If you're talking about a G4 iPod, yeah, lousy audio. But the G5 iPod? Great sound. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the G5 iPod's sound quality, for a DAP. Don't make blanket statements about the whole iPod line... they differ greatly from model to model.

i actually prefer the 5G SQ to the shuffle SQ. but that "HiFi" is possibly the most foolish ipod accessory i've ever seen.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #29 of 99
Interesting. They have a DAC in this thing. It accepts an optical digital input. "Input port accepts analog 3.5 mm stereo minijack or S/PDIF optical digital miniplug(3)"

hifihomeaudioin.jpg

Couldn't they have gotten a white TOSLINK adapter?
tongue.gif

EDIT - also, does this mean the docked iPod is NOT relying on its internal DAC, and instead is sending a digital signal to this thing's internal DAC? Now THAT could be interesting. We could cannibalize this thing's dock then, and figure out how to make a portable digital output from the ipod finally!

edit again - too bad this doesn't have ANY kind of output, analog or digital, other than the speakers. no headphone option here!

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #30 of 99
Quote:

Apparently a "wide frequency range" is 53Hz - 16kHz.

It's not that bad actually, in fact better than most of the competition (especially +/- 3dB). The other good sounding deck....the Monitor Audio iDeck only goes down to 75Hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back