Anyone Recommending HD 218?
Aug 20, 2009 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jjsoviet

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys. Well, I'm looking for a headphone to replace my flimsy CX 200 IEM's and the only thing I could get is the HD 218. I know you guys will recommend me Grado's or AKG's or any other brand, but my country only sells Sennheiser products. Unless you count Skullcandy and Philips as good alternatives, Sennie is the only brand I can go to here.

So, I only have a budget that would cover the HD 218. I have searched the forums for any reviews or thoughts about it, but I only see ones pertaining to its bigger brothers the 228 and 238. They are available here, as well as the PX 100, but I couldn't afford them. My parents won't let me buy anything higher than that price range, so I need your thoughts on the HD 218.

I hope you will understand.
atsmile.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 11
BTW, noise isolation is good but not needed, and I drive them with my Motorola ROKR E8 which also drives my HD 555 at a respectable volume. I can't go around the school with such large audiophile headphones now, right?

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 11
bump...

I'm thinking about buying hd218. It will cost me about 30$. What do u think people? SQ compared to price? And i need good isolation and portability.

Tell me if those headphones are for me

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 11
The HD218 might not give you enough volume with your cell phone. Take the cell phone to the store and try it with it. The HD555 is 112 db/V and 50 ohms, while this is 108 db/V and 24 ohms. This is 91.8 db/mw while HD555 is 99 db/mw. If you have plenty of extra volume with the HD555 then it will probably work okay, but if you are close to maxing out the volume when using the HD555 then you might not get enough volume with the HD218.  I usually try to use efficient headphones, as cranking the headphone amp in your portable will also contribute more distortion. Instead of these cheaper Sennheiser headphones, I think I would rather have an IEM or earbuds.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
bump...

I'm thinking about buying hd218. It will cost me about 30$. What do u think people? SQ compared to price? And i need good isolation and portability.

Tell me if those headphones are for me

Check out what I thought of them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/553168/sennheiser-hd218-impressions#post_7458126

I also got them for that price about a year ago. They don't fold up like the px100/200 but they are Fairly portable. As for isolation, I think they have a good balance between hearing exterior noise and blocking it out. I enjoy their sound and can power them with my clip+, although the volume has to be turned up quite a bit. The thin cord doesn't inspire confidence, but it hasn't broken on me during my time with it. Initially I thought the bass was lacking but now I enjoy their presentation.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 11
Talking about bass.. Maybe I'm not a bass freak but I enjoy deep strong bass and if headphones are lacking this it could be a disappointment. I'm glad you did a small review. And thanks for reply. I will think about it

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 11
I've had the HD238 and have the Koss PortaPro. The 238 is inefficient enough for me, and I don't imagine the lower models will be any better. As they are all (HD218,228,238) open headphones, they don't block noise. If that doesn't matter, you need something more efficient, and want it to be more portable to boot, I'd get the Koss PortaPro.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 11
^ The 218 and 228 are closed, the 238 is the only open model in the series (not counting their newer counterparts). I too also have the Portapro and actually prefer the Senns to the Koss, it's just a matter of taste. But since the thread starter said he wanted bass I'd suggest passing on the 218s (In my experience they are more heard than felt on the 218).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back