Anyone prefer HD650 over K340?
May 30, 2006 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

mateo05

100+ Head-Fier
Title pretty much says it all...has anyone tried both the HD650 and modded K340, preferably balanced, and preferred the HD650? Even if you ended up liking the K340 more, what do you think its weaknesses are? Which do you think is a more all-genre headphone?

After searching, most of the impressions I've gotten about the K340 are from huge Team K340 pushers, and the only negatives I've gotten are that they're old and need to be modded
very_evil_smiley.gif
, so I'm curious to see what other experience is out there.

May 30, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 73
As I see it, the K340 is an old and outdated headphone. It may have a large number of "pushers" here, but that doesn't make it better. I haven't heard it, but my gut feel is that it just shouldn't keep up with any HD650-level headphone.

May 30, 2006 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 73
Maybe you should take advice from someone that actually has the headphones and not a random guesser.
biggrin.gif
I have both and each has their strengths. When run single ended the K-340 has considerably better midrange and the high end has better detail. The K-340 is more dynamic if properly amped. The Senns are more comfortable and much lighter than the old K-340s but once you replace the old elastics the K-340s fit nicely. When going balanced with either headphone the differences get alot smaller. The balanced HD-650 sounds very good and the dynamics and properly controlled bass are finally there. I think alot will depend on what kind of amp you can afford. A poorly amped K-340 will probably sound worse or the same as a HD-650 as the Senns are much easier to drive.

I think you were talking about the woody upgrades for the Senn HD-650. If you are going to close the headphone with wood then none of this review applies as I am sure that will make them sound significantly different.

May 30, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 73
I can hardly imagine a headphone with "a considerably better midrange" than the HD650. But as you've heard it..
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

May 30, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 73
Yeah I think the midrange is preferable in a couple of ways. First, the texture that you get with the K-340 I have never heard from the HD-650. The body of a wood instrument resonating or the inflections in a voice are first rate with the modified K-340. The second thing that stands out with the modded K-340 is its ability to give voices the weight they naturally have in real performances. Comparing a CD like the Fairfield Four, a great group of five men singing accapella. The K-340 can just present the singer and give a more realistic presentation than the HD-650. I just find it more realistic with the K-340 but I also prefer the midrange of some other headphones to the HD-650 as well so maybe it is just my listening preferences.

May 30, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 73
I've not heard at length the HD650. But I've owned the HD580 (at the same time as the K340) and know very well the HD600. Compared to those, the K340 has indeed a better midrange. It completly lacks the "veil" of the sennheiser, but without feeling empty. It is somewhere in between the K501 and the HD600, a perfect balance imo.

May 30, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #8 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
I haven't heard it, but my gut feel is that it just shouldn't keep up with any HD650-level headphone.

I'm in the favorable position to have owned both, and my ear feel is that the modded K340s are the better headphones.In fact I sold the HD 650s and kept the K340s.
In the end it's a question of taste.The HD 650s aren't that bad in case you like laid back and veiled sound.
Both headphones were terminated in 1/4 " plugs (combined ground) though, and according to rumours driving the Senns reterminated and connected to a balanced amp might fix some of the weaknesses.
I do own a truely balanced rig now, but the amp is a balanced 60W speaker amp.Whenever I have the time I will reterminate one of my K340s and I do have a spare HD 650 cable (and a friend owning HD 650s).I'm curious about the benefits of driving those cans in balanced mode, and the 400 Ohm low sensitivity K340s would most probably work without volume problems connected to the speaker amp, but the way more sensitive HD 650s might need an added resistor network.
My K1000s get most of my listening time anyway and I'm quite happy with both of my K1000s rigs, but I'm still curious and a test would be cheap.

May 30, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #9 of 73
I have both the hd650 and a k340 modded by me(silver plated copper rewire + sealed cups + cotton removed + screen replaced with stockings). I prefer the hd650 quite a bit actually. They have a bigger soundstage and sounds more natural to me. In comparison the k340 sounds a bit thin and while the midrange is sweet, there is something artificial in the sound which make them unnatural to my ears.

Then again, my setup is better tuned for the hd650s, and the unnatural tone might partly be the stock emu0404, which is considered 'plasticky' by some. I have a Zhaolu 2.0 with cs4398 and blackgates coming which might change things.

May 30, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #10 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner
Yeah I think the midrange is preferable in a couple of ways. First, the texture that you get with the K-340 I have never heard from the HD-650. The body of a wood instrument resonating or the inflections in a voice are first rate with the modified K-340. The second thing that stands out with the modded K-340 is its ability to give voices the weight they naturally have in real performances. Comparing a CD like the Fairfield Four, a great group of five men singing accapella. The K-340 can just present the singer and give a more realistic presentation than the HD-650. I just find it more realistic with the K-340 but I also prefer the midrange of some other headphones to the HD-650 as well so maybe it is just my listening preferences.

Yep, we each mentally focus on different aspects of sound (an exceedingly complex & layered sort of substance, admittedly), hence the diverse qualitative judgements.

Anyhow, I've never felt a slightest lack of body (an ever-so-slight excess of it perhaps, instead), or texture, or complexity of timbre from my HD650. On the contrary, they're some of the headphone's greatest (and most recognized) strengths. I'm thrilled to hear that the K340 would reach even greater heights here.

May 30, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #11 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicurean
I have both the hd650 and a k340 modded by me(silver plated copper rewire + sealed cups + cotton removed + screen replaced with stockings). I prefer the hd650 quite a bit actually. They have a bigger soundstage and sounds more natural to me. In comparison the k340 sounds a bit thin and while the midrange is sweet, there is something artificial in the sound which make them unnatural to my ears.

Heh, finally back to normality
eggosmile.gif

May 30, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 73
Currently I have the HD600 and the K340. In my mind there is no doubt that the K340 is much better. The only drawback to the K340 is its weight.

Today I am sending my K340 to AKG in Nashville to have them inspected and replace any of the drivers/crossover that need to be replaced. When I get them back off to Larry at Headphile for a recable.
biggrin.gif

I already have new replacement pads (velour) and a new headband. I certainly hope they sound awesome (specially after all that $ being spent).

May 30, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Heh, finally back to normality
eggosmile.gif

Heh, you haven't heard the 340 so whats your problem. Modded akg340's beat the sennheisers soundwise in most areas in my opinion.

Biggie.

May 30, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Heh, you haven't heard the 340 so whats your problem. Modded akg340's beat the sennheisers soundwise in most areas in my opinion.

Biggie.

IMO as well. I'm member of the "I sold my SENNS cause the K340 kicks SENN butt" camp.

May 30, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 73
Andrea, is the hd650 the most expensive headphone you've heard? If not, what have you heard that's more expensive? If you haven't heard much then stop saying they're almost perfect
tongue.gif

There's a lot of headphones that improve on the hd650 in key areas, and a few that improve on it most areas. The hd650 in non-balanced systems is slightly grainy in the mids/upper mids. Transient response, resolution, and dynamics all have room for improvement. They're good but far from perfect.

The k340, even stock, improves on the hd650 in some areas. Larger soundstage, more grain free, dynamics, "bigger" sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back