Anyone "not" impressed with SLEEK SA6?
Jul 25, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #16 of 49
With tha SA6, I am interested in the "clarity" and "Treble Response", areas where CNET stated they underperformed.

Having owned ER-4P and se310...I wonder how the SA6 stack-up. I prefer more of a neutral sound....

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #17 of 49
Treble response is slightly more rolled off than ER4P, less rolled off than E310.

Clarity is excellent with great timing, great soundstage, good tonal timbre.

IMHO these are much better 'phones than ER4P or E310. Also don't trust CNET reviews on almost anything, let alone audiphile products!

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #18 of 49
I can't say i wasn't impressed when i tried the SA6, but I wasn't blown away. Really good stuff for a single driver IEM, but the chrome looks like it'll start peeling after a while and you get the ugly plastic showing underneath.

I'm more of a dual driver/triple driver sound kinda person because i need the bass impact while monitoring my drums.

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that with or without your mod? Don't forget I returned mine before the whole hot needle-poking thing became fashionable
biggrin.gif

With, and without. I find the bass quite adequate before the mod, and slightly better after the mod. To me, it is not the increase of bass that I pay attention to after the mod, but the increase of airiness and soundstage.

Since we are talking about what we are not impressed about SA6: I got mine for the original price ($250) and I were not impressed by the overall quality of the package - that is in comparison of other nicely packaged IEM of the same price range (Shure, Ety, UE, etc). However, I was impressed by the SQ that one single transducer can achieve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, I am not saying the SA6 are bad, but neither am I impressed. They are good enough that I would put them on the level of my previous q-JAYS, (but with less bass), but not good enough to want a pair of my own. The SA6 are detailed, and neutral, with little coloration, are fairly forward in the mids and soundstage, and are not prone to sibilance. But they lack the transparency that I get from all my customs or the Klipsch Image, despite the forward mids of the Klispch (which are helped when amped by the Pico).

I am quite impressed by the good fit on X10, but not so much of its price. It has a more refined sound than SA6, but not so much that I'll want it over TF10 for about the same price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With tha SA6, I am interested in the "clarity" and "Treble Response", areas where CNET stated they underperformed.

Don't forget CNET has a pre-production model that doesn't come with the terble++ port.

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also thinking about trying the bass + port staple mod... but I've read some conflicting stuff as to how much it truly helps the bass depth (anyone care to describe in detail how the bass changes after this mod?).

cn11, please get a hot needle and poke, since I'd like to know the difference too
biggrin.gif

It's confusing, as I've read the mod dramatically improves the bass output, that there's a night and day difference - but I've also read the difference is very subtle / slightly better. ClieOS is right in saying it's all subjective, but if you're on the verge of selling them anyway, you have nothing to lose but a piece of plastic. And you know you want to do it
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #21 of 49
soozieq, thought you'd popped off to join the Mounties?

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #22 of 49
Oh how i hate threads like this. They make some people like myself who are content with there IEM focus on the negative aspects, and trying to find out why other people findings are like that...

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #23 of 49
Be strong. It's all Maya...

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
soozieq, thought you'd popped off to join the Mounties?

Flight isn't till this evening so I'm having my last Head-Fi fix
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #25 of 49
They don't have tinternets in Canada?
eek.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpnz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh how i hate threads like this. They make some people like myself who are content with there IEM focus on the negative aspects, and trying to find out why other people findings are like that...

Im right there with ya. I just got mine yesterday and I actually love them. Then you read people downing them, in a totally fair and openminded way, but it makes you feel less happy with what you just bought. Im sitting here right now with a paperclip and a lighter in my hand and the +bass port is on the needle just waiting for me to get the guts to light er up lol.

I know were supposed to be talking negative aspects here, but Im a junkie for gadgets and modding and changing, so I bought a Cowon D2 and SA6. I have so much to play with along with listening that Im happy to have SA6 and the D2, for that matter even with all their faults. I guess Ill just have to buy some other stuff too lol.

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpnz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nah, it's good to remain objective. I am convinced these SA6 are the absolute best of breed product I'm going to have any time in the near future, but that doesn't mean they're going to be that same level of a solution for everyone. I mean, I found them preferable to triple.fis, just where exactly else am I supposed to go anyhow other than customs (which I'm not interested in)?

Take the bass comments, I understand exactly what these posters are finding lacking, but the very same thing they're looking for I considered a flaw in my (returned) triple.fi 10s. I think it's an audio flaw to make the very low bass that punchy in an IEM, which is why the Sleek SA6 are my best solution but it's also why the SA6 is not their best solution. People focus on different aspects of music reproduction, that's all.

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #28 of 49
Hey channum, go easy on em now!

wink.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #30 of 49
I'm not a fan of that 'punchy' bass though.. if it's anything like the 'punchiness' of the UE EB 5.. that punchy bass drove me nuts, and is what turned me off of the UE sound sig.

I am looking for SUB bass... the low, deep, extended bass that makes me go YEAH... I DIG THIS BASS.

A song comes to mind, David Bowie - Deranged (off the Lost Highway soundtrack). I'm looking for IEMs that can produce the best sounding bass from that track, as well as have clear mids and highs.

It doesn't sound like the Sleeks are capable of producing this kind of bass.

Too bad the Image X10 is so pricey, I'm really interested in trying those out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back