Anyone "not" impressed with SLEEK SA6?
Jul 24, 2008 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

oak3x

500+ Head-Fier
The Sleek SA6 have been getting alot of attention lately...

Curious whether anyone has owned the SA6, and were "not" impressed by them?

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 49
Sure there are some, but not many. I recall a few posters on the SA6 thread returning them, but in most cases, it was they preferred something else (TF10, SE530?), not that they disliked the Sleeks that much. In fact, Soozieq returned hers for TF10s, but she also liked the Sleeks.

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 49
JoyEnergizer returned his in exchange for TF10, IIRC. It is a matter of sonic preference.

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 49
I read through that whole thread before I got mine, saw those (as mentioned) who preferred something else, but never saw a report from someone who complained about them being nothing but hype.

The closest to someone not being impressed by them I can think of is the iLounge editor who claimed you could find $200 IEMs that had better sound quality (where? he doesn't actually say which ones he thought sounded better).

They're pretty unique in that because you can tune the sound just about everyone is going to find them, at least, pretty good.

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact, Soozieq returned hers for TF10s, but she also liked the Sleeks.

I did like the Sleeks, a lot, but I wasn't impressed with the bass output. Although I could eq the bass on the Sony, I couldn't eq on the Zune, and I found the bass much too weak on it. I wanted something that would work equally well with both my players, and the TF10 does the job perfectly.

But I'd still love to try the SA6 with the extra bass port once it's in circulation.

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 49
I'm glad I read soozieq's post.. < adequate bass = my search continues...

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't take my word for it. Loads of other people think the bass is just fine. Go with the majority
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't take my word for it. Loads of other people think the bass is just fine. Go with the majority
biggrin.gif

That, and you can increase the bass dramatically by merely sticking a needle or staple into the + bass port to clear any potential blockage from the port. I did this upon the second day of receiving my SA6's (after feeling disappointed the first day with the bass output), and the difference was like night and day.

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

See, that's why this hobby is so subjective. Soozieq think SA6 has weak bass, but I find it to be totally adequate. My TF10 does has a better depth in bass, but I find my SA6 are capable of pumping out a good quantity of bass.

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See, that's why this hobby is so subjective. Soozieq think SA6 has weak bass, but I find it to be totally adequate. My TF10 does has a better depth in bass,
but I find my SA6 are capable of pumping out a good quantity of bass.

Is that with or without your mod? Don't forget I returned mine before the whole hot needle-poking thing became fashionable
biggrin.gif

EDIT: And to be fair, the OP asked about people who had owned them and were not impressed, not those who own them and are impressed. And I wasn't as impressed (bass wise), as I thought I would be for $249.

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 49
Bass wise they lack the physical punch of something like the TF10 but I'll tell you when I really nodded my head and said, yup, these do just fine at bass:

On the soundtrack for The Dark Knight there's this odd "song" Why So Serious?. I haven't actually seen the movie yet so I'm not sure what the part of the movie the track is from, but it's this odd ambient piece for the most part made up of ultra low bass beats and tones that at times reminded me a lot of the whump whump of a helicopter, only to a beat. It might have *felt* more impressive on something like the TF10, it's not going to *sound* any better, and that's all I care about.

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by channum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass wise they lack the physical punch of something like the TF10 but I'll tell you when I really nodded my head and said, yup, these do just fine at bass:

On the soundtrack for The Dark Knight there's this odd "song" Why So Serious?. I haven't actually seen the movie yet so I'm not sure what the part of the movie the track is from, but it's this odd ambient piece for the most part made up of ultra low bass beats and tones that at times reminded me a lot of the whump whump of a helicopter, only to a beat. It might have *felt* more impressive on something like the TF10, it's not going to *sound* any better, and that's all I care about.

I partially agree with you... I think of their bass presentation just about exactly as you describe it. It's mostly there, but not felt quite as much as some other earphones that have more impact. Personally I love the impact. My Trekstor Vibez died, which the SA6's had wonderful synergy with (and my coworker's did too, so I'm not trying that player again), and with the Sony NWZ-A829 it just didn't sync as well. My Denons took on a great synergy with this player, and I realized again how much that tactile impact is important to my music enjoyment. I am on the verge of selling mine because of this factor, but I am curious to see if / how much the forthcoming bass ++ port affects the frequency range. I am also thinking about trying the bass + port staple mod... but I've read some conflicting stuff as to how much it truly helps the bass depth (anyone care to describe in detail how the bass changes after this mod?). For me, the SA6's strengths were in the treble and midrange areas... they just so sublimely did both bands with detail and nuance while remaining non-fatiguing and non-sibilant.

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #14 of 49
I am currently evaluating a pair of loaner Sleek SA6 and Klipsch Image X10, and so far the Image are hands down better in the bass and treble department, while they are closer to being equals in the mids. As a matter of fact, with some music I'm finding the SA6 to be a bit bland and dull, because they seem to lack extension in the highs and lows (a bit rolled off to me).

With iMod and portable Vcap dock, I am having trouble picking an amp that wakes up the SA6 enough for me, whether with Bass+/Treble++ or any other bass ports and treble tips. I am finding the SA6 are better amped, but still not what I am looking for.

However, I can NOT make the Image sound bad with any of the portable amps in my user profile. The Image are even acceptable through iPod 5.5G headphone out, and are as enjoyable to listen to as any of my custom IEM.

Now, I am not saying the SA6 are bad, but neither am I impressed. They are good enough that I would put them on the level of my previous q-JAYS, (but with less bass), but not good enough to want a pair of my own. The SA6 are detailed, and neutral, with little coloration, are fairly forward in the mids and soundstage, and are not prone to sibilance. But they lack the transparency that I get from all my customs or the Klipsch Image, despite the forward mids of the Klispch (which are helped when amped by the Pico).

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

I modded the bass+ ports by inserting a pin through the seal, heating it with a lighter, then twisting it out... this significantly increases the amount of bass, actually to the point where I don't even use EQ now. It took 2 minutes. If you screw up you can order another pair from Sleek anyway for $12.50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back