Anyone like fast cars?
Jul 20, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #31 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has a manual transmission. But I do agree with you.

This is the newest generation of Corvette which is actually smaller than a Porsche 911 but they do look big from certain angles.

No plans to mod it other than putting in a K&N intake/filter when the finally get around to making one for the LS3. I think an LS7 filter would work, though, since both motors have the same intake.

yeah, i was just saying, no point having a nice car if its auto, it looks normal from the outside but huge on the inside, compare it to a lotus lol, its tiny!

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #32 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm so angry at you americans who have access to such cheap cars and fuel ($4/gallon is nothing to us Aussies)!

My dream car, a C63 AMG is only 56K USD in the US, whereas its 150K AUD here in Australia. With the US dollar almost the same as the Australian dollar, it annoys the crap out of me that we have to pay more than twice for the same car.

Cars are just as expensive in Hong Kong (56K USD gets you a 184HP C200 in base specification, a far cry from the 457HP C63
biggrin.gif
), but then it's all relative. The Singaporeans, Malaysians and Mainland Chinese have it much worse
tongue.gif
I was told by a Singaporean friend that their E200 Kompressor costs as much as an S600 in the US
eek.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #33 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cars are just as expensive in Hong Kong (56K USD gets you a 184HP C200, a far cry from the 457HP C63
biggrin.gif
), but then it's all relative. The Singaporeans, Malaysians and Mainland Chinese have it much worse
tongue.gif
I was told by a Singaporean friend that their E200 Kompressor costs as much as an S600 in the US
eek.gif

Why is that? Tariffs?

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #34 of 87
Road tax. It's called first registration tax (FRT) in Hong Kong. For some reason it doesn't really hinder car sales as much as you'd imagine. The W221 Mercedes S Class was (or still is?) the top selling car in Hong Kong for a while
eek.gif
With a base price of $180k USD for the S350 LWB I couldn't believe my eyes/ears... I think the figures are skewed because a lot of the buyers aren't actually from Hong Kong; Many businessmen from China buy cars in Hong Kong and this particular model is a popular choice.

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #35 of 87
Quote:

Road tax. It's called first registration tax (FRT) in Hong Kong. For some reason it doesn't really hinder car sales as much as you'd imagine. The Mercedes S Class was (or still is?) the top selling car in Hong Kong for a while
eek.gif
With a base price of $180k USD for the S350 LWB I couldn't believe my eyes/ears...

No way to avoid the tax by purchasing in the U.S. and then having the car shipped to Australia or wherever? Or do you simply pay a "use tax" or some such at the same rate? For the difference you could afford some travel and shopping.

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #36 of 87
Quote:

Cars are just as expensive in Hong Kong (56K USD gets you a 184HP C200 in base specification, a far cry from the 457HP C63
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
eek.gif

Import tax for overseas-made cars is 200% in Malaysia. So yeah, a car would be given a 300% price tag in comparison to the original price, not including road tax
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #37 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No way to avoid the tax by purchasing in the U.S. and then having the car shipped to Australia or wherever? Or do you simply pay a "use tax" or some such at the same rate? For the difference you could afford some travel and shopping.

My parents' have inquired about doing so before (buying from Switzerland and UK). While you still have to pay tax when you import the car, the amount of tax decreases depending on the length of time the car has been on the road. Even so, the savings are minimal. Also, the local car dealers won't acknowledge your car as it is considered a "grey import" (at least that's the case with Mercedes Hong Kong) and hence there's no "warranty". Knowing how expensive certain cars are to repair, it's just not worth the trouble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Import tax for overseas-made cars is 200% in Malaysia. So yeah, a car would be given a 300% price tag in comparison to the original price, not including road tax
biggrin.gif

mad.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #38 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, i was just saying, no point having a nice car if its auto, it looks normal from the outside but huge on the inside, compare it to a lotus lol, its tiny!

The interior was one of the big changes from the C5 to the C6. I'm 6'3" and I fit very comfortably inside. I should have taken a pic of the cargo area as well because it really is huge for a car of this class. The Corvette is an amazingly practical car for its type.

The other amazing thing is 6th gear. Unless you're going over 65, it's worthless. 70 is 1500 RPM, 80 is 1700 RPM and 100 is right around 2100 RPM. Given the 6600 RPM redline, it is theoretically good for 308 MPH!

On the other hand, I can get ~28 MPG @ 70 MPH in 6th.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #40 of 87
Quote:

biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
eek.gif

56KAUD will barely get you into a C200.

Jul 21, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #41 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
56KAUD will barely get you into a C200.

Well, with a nick like yours I would guess you run a Honda NSX. Right?
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #43 of 87
I like fast cars, but I am not sure if they would be comfortable, I am a tall guy at 6'3" (190cm) and our 1995 camry isn't that comfortable to sit in for me, just the position of the legs, I prefer our 1993 previa likely because it feels more natural having the usual sitting position of legs going down slightly instead of an L_ shape where your legs go straight out after the seat, the van they go down a bit in.

However I haven't driven any sports cars. I would like a 350z/G35/G37 or a Porsche Cayman/911 but that isn't likely, the Lotus Exige looks nice too :p

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #44 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like fast cars, but I am not sure if they would be comfortable, I am a tall guy at 6'3" (190cm) and our 1995 camry isn't that comfortable to sit in for me, just the position of the legs, I prefer our 1993 previa likely because it feels more natural having the usual sitting position of legs going down slightly instead of an L_ shape where your legs go straight out after the seat, the van they go down a bit in.

However I haven't driven any sports cars. I would like a 350z/G35/G37 or a Porsche Cayman/911 but that isn't likely, the Lotus Exige looks nice too :p

A guy I know who borders right on 7'0 drives a Trans Am like mine. Being a bit short myself (5'9), it's not what I'd call a tight fit but there's not excessive space, either. I'm not sure how he fits, but he does.

Personally though, I hate the "park bench seat" unless I'm driving a truck. The closer my ass is to the floorpan of my car, the more I like it.

Porsches are nice, but I'm not sure I'd classify those Nissan as "sports cars". I once saw the G35/350Z called the "midlife crisis car for guys who are too chic to drive a Corvette, can't afford a Porsche, and don't really like going fast". I'm sure that'll get a few grunts of annoyance, but I thought it was pretty funny.

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #45 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Go sit in a Corvette. I'm 6'3" and I fit with much room to spare. However, I have shorter legs and a longer torso so I generally run out of headroom long before my legs hit a firewall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back