Anyone like fast cars?
Jul 19, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #16 of 87
Two points-of-view:

First up "Hot-Rod Lincoln" by Charlie Ryan...

Quote:

My pappy said "Son your gonna drive me to drinkin'
If you don't stop drivin' that Hot Rod Lincoln"

Have you heard the story of the hot rod race
Where the Fords and Lincolns were settin' the pace?
That story is true I'm here to say
I was drivin' that model A.

It's got a Lincoln motor and it's really souped up
That a Model A body makes it look like a pup
It's got eight cylinders and uses 'em all
Got overdrive, just won't stall

With a four barrel carb and dual exhausts
With four-eleven gears you can really get lost
Got safety tubes, but I ain't scared
The brakes are good, the tires fair

Pulled out of San Pedro late one night
And the moon and the stars were shining bright
We was drivin' up Grapevine Hill
Passin' cars like they was standing still

All of a sudden, in the wink of an eye
A Cadillac sedan passed us by
I said, "Boys, that's a mark for me!"
By then the tail lights was all you could see

Now the fellas ribbed me for being behind
So thought I'd make the Lincoln unwind
Took my foot of the gas and man alive
I shoved it on down into over drive

Wound it up to a-hundred-and-ten
My speedometer said that I hit top end
My foot was glued like lead to the floor
That's all there is and there ain't no more

Now the boys all thought that I'd lost my sense
And telephone poles looked like a picket fence
They said "Slow down, I see spots!"
The lines on the road just looked like dots

Took a corner, Side-Swiped a truck
Crossed my fingers just for luck My Fenders was clickin' the guard rail posts
The guy beside me was white as a ghost

Smoke was coming from outta of the back
When I started to gain on that Cadillac
Knew I could catch him, I thought I could pass
Don't ya know by then we'd be low on gas?

Had flames comin' from outta the side
Feel the tension, man what a ride
I said "Look out boys, I've got a license to fly"
And that Caddy pulled over and let us by

Now all of the sudden she started to knockin'
And down in a dips she started to rockin'
I looked in the mirror, a red light was blinkin'
The cops was after my Hot Rod Lincoln

They arrested me and they put me in jail
And called my pappy to throw my bail
He said "Son, you're gonna to drive me to drinkin'
If you don't stop drivin' that Hot Rod Lincoln"

And now "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman...
Quote:

You got a fast car
I want a ticket to anywhere
Maybe we make a deal
Maybe together we can get somewhere

Anyplace is better
Starting from zero got nothing to lose
Maybe we'll make something
But me myself I got nothing to prove

You got a fast car
And I got a plan to get us out of here
I been working at the convenience store
Managed to save just a little bit of money
We won't have to drive too far
Just 'cross the border and into the city
You and I can both get jobs
And finally see what it means to be living

You see my old man's got a problem
He live with the bottle that's the way it is
He says his body's too old for working
I say his body's too young to look like his
My mama went off and left him
She wanted more from life than he could give
I said somebody's got to take care of him
So I quit school and that's what I did

You got a fast car
But is it fast enough so we can fly away
We gotta make a decision
We leave tonight or live and die this way

I remember we were driving driving in your car
The speed so fast I felt like I was drunk
City lights lay out before us
And your arm felt nice wrapped 'round my shoulder
And I had a feeling that I belonged
And I had a feeling I could be someone, be someone, be someone

You got a fast car
And we go cruising to entertain ourselves
You still ain't got a job
And I work in a market as a checkout girl
I know things will get better
You'll find work and I'll get promoted
We'll move out of the shelter
Buy a big house and live in the suburbs
You got a fast car
And I got a job that pays all our bills
You stay out drinking late at the bar
See more of your friends than you do of your kids
I'd always hoped for better
Thought maybe together you and me would find it
I got no plans I ain't going nowhere
So take your fast car and keep on driving

You got a fast car
But is it fast enough so you can fly away
You gotta make a decision
You leave tonight or live and die this way

Jul 19, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #17 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Corvette C6 with a manual transmission, I believe.

Give the man a prize!

DSC01253Medium.jpg

DSC01254Medium.jpg

Jul 20, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #18 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give the man a prize!

Nice, any plans to mod it?

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #20 of 87
I'm so angry at you americans who have access to such cheap cars and fuel ($4/gallon is nothing to us Aussies)!

My dream car, a C63 AMG is only 56K USD in the US, whereas its 150K AUD here in Australia. With the US dollar almost the same as the Australian dollar, it annoys the crap out of me that we have to pay more than twice for the same car.

And about fast cars, I've driven quiet a few at trackdays, and I had a Honda Jazz before it got crashed into by a moron trying to speed through an intersection, leaving me with a big head impact, very sore lower back and knee which still requires physiotherapy more than 5 months later.

So, be careful when you're behind the freakin wheel. I love driving as much as the next petrolhead (since I'm one), but these days people really do need to be aware of their own actions on the road. What you do can have dire consequences for others!

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:03 AM Post #21 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm so angry at you americans who have access to such cheap cars and fuel ($4/gallon is nothing to us Aussies)!

My dream car, a C63 AMG is only 56K USD in the US, whereas its 150K AUD here in Australia. With the US dollar almost the same as the Australian dollar, it annoys the crap out of me that we have to pay more than twice for the same car.

And about fast cars, I've driven quiet a few at trackdays, and I had a Honda Jazz before it got crashed into by a moron trying to speed through an intersection, leaving me with a big head impact, very sore lower back and knee which still requires physiotherapy more than 5 months later.

So, be careful when you're behind the freakin wheel. I love driving as much as the next petrolhead (since I'm one), but these days people really do need to be aware of their own actions on the road. What you do can have dire consequences for others!

$4 might seem cheap, until you realize how far a lot of Americans commute to work, and at how fast gas prices have risen - about 50% over six months. My uncle, back when gas was $2/gallon, was spending ~$1500 a month in gas to commute in his work truck. I'm afraid to ask how much he's paying now, but it's probably why he's on Prozac now. We also get bitten bad by rising gas costs on things like consumer good price increases and more and more expensive flights with fewer and fewer flight dates. Plus, most Americans are idiots and buy huge gas-sucking vehicles when they don't need them for any reason whatsoever....then go and bitch about how much gas costs. Duh. Buy a $60,000 SUV that gets 15mpg on the interstate, and you've got no right to bitch when depreciation in just the first month makes resale value about $40,000 and you can't afford gas.

Bleh, anyway, past that...

Being able to buy fast cars for relatively cheap is nice. My Trans Am was $12,900 when I bought it 4 years back, with 30k on the odometer and stock down to the tires. You can pick up "stripper" LS1 cars now for under $7000, toss a few mods on, and have a daily-driver car that'll touch low 12s and still get 30+mpg on the interstate.

The only problem with that is a lot of idiots who shouldn't be allowed to drive a moped can now buy a decently fast car and get themselves and others into trouble really fast. Instead of high school kids buying 80hp Civics and thinking they're fast (even faster with red stickers! Don't even get me started on the ricer craze...), now they can pester mommy and daddy to buy them a fast car, go out and try to race one night, and wind up killing someone coming home from work.

You Aussies are lucky, though - you get the actual Holden stuff without the ugly Americanization visual modifications. The Monaro was pretty badass looking.....the GTO, not so much.

/excessively long post (sorry, insomnia's kicked in pretty hard the past few nights)

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #22 of 87
Wanna trade? I'd kill to have a challenger or camaro! I still hold on to the opinion that the commodores are not that great value for money, but I do like the Falcons.

Anyway, I guess it is difficult for americans to get used to high gas prices because you guys have had everything so cheap for so long.

But about the mileage covered thing, most Aussies don't exactly ponder about everyday, especially those of us who need to get to the city for work everyday.

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #23 of 87
bless, $4 a gallon, i wish! and the cost of owning a car cause of the green tax, grr, i hope i csn afford my exige, im 22 atm, should have it this winter, ill be 23, ive never been one for bodykitting a cheap car, lol ive seen metros with more money spent on them in kits than the cars worth, and a ferrari body kit on a ford, how embarrasing, a girl where i work has a saxo with tinted window, rear wing, lowered, alloys etc, and it looks ****, a car like that cant go rount high speed corners well enough to make use of a rear wing, just more drag and petrol money

im biding my time in my R reg fiesta until i get my exige, i am gonna wet my pants when i drive that! the best car ive driven up to now is a clio diesel lol

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #24 of 87
What. 22 and you're going to own exige! I wouldn't be too surprised if you're american, but you're based in the UK, where car ownership is an absolute rip thanks to ken livingscum (yes I know Borris is now in) and freakin Gordon Brown, who annoys the crap out of me everytime he's on TV.

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #25 of 87
I would love a fast car.
smily_headphones1.gif

But with the gas and car prices around here I prioritize to use my money elsewhere.

I have a quite fast 2-wheeled vehicle though (Honda VFR800).
It does 0-60mph in 3.5 seconds and top out at 150mph. And it does 47 miles to the gallon... Plenty fast for me.

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #26 of 87
Owned an Audi RS2 once. Loved it!

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #27 of 87
Quote:

What. 22 and you're going to own exige! I wouldn't be too surprised if you're american, but you're based in the UK, where car ownership is an absolute rip thanks to ken livingscum (yes I know Borris is now in) and freakin Gordon Brown, who annoys the crap out of me everytime he's on TV.

yeah, british, its not too bad on effieciency, small engine and light, i love driving so much, and dont have any other commitments, dont know how long i will have it for, but im so excited

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #28 of 87
I'm praying that I can get the money to have a caterham one day. It'd be my daily driver as well. I mean, people ride motorbikes everyday, so I don't see why my caterham can't be a daily driver. I'd want some sort of collapsible hard top though.

I reckon cars these days are too overweight, and the only reason we don't notice this is because engine power has more than doubled. Its why I love stuff like caterhams and Lotuses.

Jul 20, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #29 of 87
Quote:

I'm praying that I can get the money to have a caterham one day. It'd be my daily driver as well. I mean, people ride motorbikes everyday, so I don't see why my caterham can't be a daily driver. I'd want some sort of collapsible hard top though.

I reckon cars these days are too overweight, and the only reason we don't notice this is because engine power has more than doubled. Its why I love stuff like caterhams and Lotuses.

For me a car should handle an acceleeate well, dont care about top speed, plus a lotus is so small i can fit through small gaps, ie not typical american cars!

Jul 20, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #30 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that car looks huge! from the inside!

cant be a real driver with an automatic

It has a manual transmission. But I do agree with you.

This is the newest generation of Corvette which is actually smaller than a Porsche 911 but they do look big from certain angles.

No plans to mod it other than putting in a K&N intake/filter when the finally get around to making one for the LS3. I think an LS7 filter would work, though, since both motors have the same intake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back