Anyone know some good books/resources on audio science?
Sep 6, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by future_jack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've gone through the posts here and taken a quick look at the books and still cannot decide which book to get that will teach a beginner about bit rates, sampling, decibels etc. etc.

That's not exactly what the OP was looking for. Seems you are more interested in a book on digital audio, rather than audio in general or electronics.

There is a recommendation on this thread for a digital audio book (by Pohlmann), but since it's a textbook, some might not regard it (maybe paradoxically) as a beginners book.

I think you might better look up some terms on the web before looking for a book. Google "Digital Audio basics", or "Digital Audio 101", things like that.

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by future_jack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
I've gone through the posts here and taken a quick look at the books and still cannot decide which book to get that will teach a beginner about bit rates, sampling, decibels etc. etc.

The books either seem for professionals or have not been reviewed that well.

Just use Wikipedia and the web to learn about stuff like this. These are fairly basic audio topics and so there is a lot of stuff about them on the web.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #20 of 20
I second the "Practical Electronics for Inventors" recommendation. I had checked it out from the library for about 6 weeks. I finally found a copy in stock at Borders at the same thime that I had a 30% off coupon and bought it. It covers a bunch of diferent areas of useful electronics in enough depth for a good technical understanding, but may leave you looking further for in depth information. For instance, it the filters section (i.e. cross overs) he covers the basics and if I remember correctly Bessel filters, and directs one to a filter handbook for all the particulars on designing anything else. It is really an excellent "first stop" resource.

Also, search here, as I know there are at least one or two older threads on this subject. That is how I found Practical Electronics for Inventors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back