Anyone know about the phono input on the Melos SHA Gold?
Mar 16, 2003 at 2:30 AM Post #16 of 19
Yep, as you say it is tricky since synergy considerations are especially big in vinyl playback.

VPIs (all turntables, really) are very sensitive, for example, to interaction with what they are sitting on. The Scout, with no suspension to speak of, is probably best off on something like a hunk of maple sitting on a innertube. The HW Mark IV with its springs probably likes a stiff shelf (lots of info on these matters on audioasylum.com).

I love my big, heavy, TNT, but a TNT without an ideal setup might not sound better than a Scout in some circumstances. I think that Tuberoller reported that he heard a Scout setup that was at least as good as a TNT setup he heard.

I got my TNT used along with an elaborate isolation system for it. If you want to fool around optimizing the platform for your Scout, you probably won't miss much not having a TNT!

Enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif
cool.gif

Mar 25, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
I'm one of the people who thinks the Scout is the shiznit, I just don't think there's another table near the cost that can touch it. And the JMW 9 is one hell of a tonearm.

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but now I know what "shiznit" means... There's the ****, then there's the shiznit!
biggrin.gif

I got my Scout and Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood cartridge last week. I have to say I'm even more impressed with the Scout now that I've had the chance to listen on my own system. This combination is amazing- without a doubt, the best 2K I've ever spent on audio. The Scout and JMW are amazing- good speed control, nice natural bass, excellent imaging. The Virtuoso wood is amazing also beause it brings an amazing richness and warmth to the combination. It provides a very wide soundstage (about two feet beyond the outer edge of my speakers), but the imaging is thick, precise, and with authority. This combination is more on the warm side than the dynamic side (which has always been my preference), but still handles transients exceptionally and naturally.

I know two of you on this thread that have just received your Scouts as well and I'm interested to hear your feedback!

Oh, but by the way- daycart1- if you ever want to trade your TNT for my Scout, as much as I love it, I'd still be willing- I'll even throw in a set of headphones!
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #18 of 19
My Scout was just set up last night, so it's way too early for sonic impressions more detailed than "it sounds real good"!

The setup gave me a flashback to years ago, when I ran a Magnepan Unitrac I tone arm. It's been a long time since I set up a unipivot arm. Luckily, VPI had already done most of the work...

Mar 26, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by drewski
Oh, but by the way- daycart1- if you ever want to trade your TNT for my Scout, as much as I love it, I'd still be willing- I'll even throw in a set of headphones!
wink.gif

If you've got a nice pair of R-10s, I think we might have a deal!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back