Anyone know about the phono input on the Melos SHA Gold?
Mar 13, 2003 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

drewski

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my Melos from ServinginEcuador a few days ago. It's starting to break in and sounds better every day (breaking in because it was sent back to Melos Audio Restorations for repair and never used since it was repaired by S.I.E.).

I just had a question and was wondering if anyone out there knows about the phono section of this preamp. There's nothing that says anything about it in the manual. I'm curious if it really is a phono stage with gain or if it's just a stardard input that's marked phono.
confused.gif

Anyone out there know?

Thanks!

Mar 14, 2003 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by yidimsum
Melos sold a separate Phono stage to match the Melos Gold. It's probably only input.

Thanks for the response. I'm pretty sure it's only just an input as well. I'm going to open up when I get home tonight to see if it looks any different from the other inputs. I would just hook a turntable up to it, but I just sold mine, so I have to wait until I get my new turntable.

Mar 14, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
it's just an input

Thanks Markl- I guess I won't have to open up tonight after all (can't generate extra cash by selling my phono stage either!).

Mar 14, 2003 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 19
If it's just an input, that would be unusual, unless the modifier removed the stage. "Phono" has a very specific meaning on a preamp input (default is phono section for high output cartridges), and it would be rare for an input to have that label without a phono section behind it. In fact, it would be the first time I've ever heard of that kind of labelling.

Mar 14, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 19
I used to have an AR preamp with an RCA input marked "HEAD AMP". I posted a question on this board and found it all very mysterious.
Finally, curiousity got the better of me, I undid the 49 screws to take off the cover. Behind the RCA connector was......NOTHING!!
It was apparently a space for plugging in an optional step-up MC phono module.
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2003 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 19
drewski,

The Melos Gold Reference (and Maestro and Sha-1 and Gold) is a line stage only preamp. As Mark said the only thing special about the "Phono" selection is thats what they decided to call it (it goes into the rotary switch then to the remote board just as the rest of the inputs). Not unusual at all when we're not talking about full function preamps.

What's your new turntable going to be?

Mar 14, 2003 at 7:02 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
drewski,

The Melos Gold Reference (and Maestro and Sha-1 and Gold) is a line stage only preamp. As Mark said the only thing special about the "Phono" selection is thats what they decided to call it (it goes into the rotary switch then to the remote board just as the rest of the inputs). Not unusual at all when we're not talking about full function preamps.

What's your new turntable going to be?

Carlo, thanks for the information. Obviously, you know these units better than anyone! I guess I was just hoping that there would be a decent phono stage built into this unit- wishful thinking!

As for which table, I've narrowed it down to three choices- I'm either going to get a VPI Scout, HW19 MKIV, or a Well Tempered "Record Player". More likely, it will be either the Scout or the Well Tempered- both of those come with pretty decent tonearms. Also, they're both a little more in my price range!

Thanks to everyone for all the great feedback! I love this place!

Mar 14, 2003 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 19
I've gotten the distinct impression that the Scout kicks the HW19's butt. The main advantage of the latter is that it is more upgradeable at present. But VPI might come up with upgrades for the Scout as well.

TEAM VPI!

Mar 14, 2003 at 7:25 AM Post #12 of 19
drewski,

I'm one of the people who thinks the Scout is the shiznit, I just don't think there's another table near the cost that can touch it. And the JMW 9 is one hell of a tonearm. If it isn't so far above budget that it hurts I think the Scout is the smartest choice: unlike VPI's other tables there's no need for an upgrade path. Its the type of turntable/tonearm combination that doesn't have me wondering about what else is out there - it just lets music go and is more than worthy of being a reference source. That said I now find myself looking past the EAR 834P for my phono needs, the Scout is also the type of component that makes me want to upgrade whats around it... damn this audiophelia.

Haven't heard the Well Tempered however. If you get a chance to hear it your impressions would be much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
drewski,

I'm one of the people who thinks the Scout is the shiznit, I just don't think there's another table near the cost that can touch it. And the JMW 9 is one hell of a tonearm. If it isn't so far above budget that it hurts I think the Scout is the smartest choice: unlike VPI's other tables there's no need for an upgrade path. Its the type of turntable/tonearm combination that doesn't have me wondering about what else is out there - it just lets music go and is more than worthy of being a reference source. That said I now find myself looking past the EAR 834P for my phono needs, the Scout is also the type of component that makes me want to upgrade whats around it... damn this audiophelia.

Haven't heard the Well Tempered however. If you get a chance to hear it your impressions would be much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

The Scout is actually the least expensive of the three! It's actually so difficult to evaluate turntables because there are so many different factors- phono stage, phono cable, cartridge, etc. I never feel like I'm comparing on equal terms. Having said that, I did decide on the VPI Scout today with a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood Cartridge and I should have it next week. I like the HW19 MK IV, but the table itself without tonearm is more expensive than the Scout with the tonearm. Also, with the state of the ecomony lately, I don't want to buy a Well Tempered table right now because I'd be afraid that they won't be around for that long (but since Wilson uses them at the CES for their demos, maybe they will be around!). Even the bigger name brands are struggling these days. Once a company folds, the resale seems drops to about 30 or 35% of retail! I know that many places still can't keep the Scout in stock, so VPI seems like it's here to stay for a while.

As far as the Well Tempered tables go, they're great tables. Even the lowest priced one, called "The Record Player" ($2000 with arm), was very well balanced in all aspects and produced a 3 dimensional soundstage second to only their better tables (Reference Table and the Classic). I had a chance to audition extensively using a Grado Reference cartridge, driven by a BAT phono stage and it was very good. Nice bass, incredible natural sounding highs that only analog can produce, and imaging that captures you from the moment you start listening. Of course, then I listened to their "Reference"using a Cardas Heart cartridge and a Thor phono stage and experienced audio nirvana!

So I'm very excited that my new Scout is on the way. I think you're right- I could definitely spend another 20K to bring my system up to the level of the Scout, but that's not going to happen as long as I'm married!

Mar 14, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #14 of 19
I read on Audiogon that the VPI Scout + Clearaudio isn't the best match. Everyone says that the Dynavector 10x4 high output MC is the way to go (Carlo is using this one).

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?f...ut&r=&session=

I ended up buying a Grado Sonata low output MM 0.5mV for the VPI Scout + JMW 9. If I had done enough research before this purchase, I would have also gone with the Dynavector 10x5.

Mar 16, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
I've gotten the distinct impression that the Scout kicks the HW19's butt. The main advantage of the latter is that it is more upgradeable at present. But VPI might come up with upgrades for the Scout as well.

TEAM VPI!

Seems that way, but it's very difficult to do direct comparisons, especially since the HW19's don't come with arms... I've only heard the HW19 Jr. with an upgraded platter, but was more looking at the MK IV to bypass all the upgrades. I thought the HW19JR with an Audioquest arm was a pretty decent table- good motor, decent bass, decent image. Not bad considering you can pick one of these up for less than $500 on the used market!

But to you, all the tables I've mentioned must be second rate! your profile shows a TNT!!! Someday!

Quote:

Originally posted by yidimsum I read on Audiogon that the VPI Scout + Clearaudio isn't the best match. Everyone says that the Dynavector 10x4 high output MC is the way to go (Carlo is using this one).

It wouldn't be the first time I've gone against the grain... Yes, the Dynavector 10x4 is a very popular choice and I did contemplate getting either that or a 20x4, but I'm very fairly certain the musical characteristics described to me about the Virtuoso Wood will be fine for my tastes. I have other cartridges if I really don't like this one, so I'm not too worried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back