Anyone interested in a thread about DH Labs Silversonic interconnects?
Jan 28, 2002 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

fredpb

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been trying out some interconnects, by DH Labs, called Silversonics. Price is $100 for 1 meter pair.

If anyone shows any interest, I will expand another message into some observations on this cable.

Jan 28, 2002 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 23
Just do it.

Jan 28, 2002 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 23
These are the best I've ever heard. (BL-1 series II)
I'm saving up to buy close to 10m. Trouble is, finding someone who will terminate both RCA and mini-rca professionally at a reasonable price.

Jan 28, 2002 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 23
Why not DIY for the terminating on the cables? Even if you don't have any skill soldering, it is a great opportunity to learn. Start by getting an inexpensive (but good) soldering iron and some silver solder. To get some practice, get some cheap cable and connectors at Radio Shack or MCM or Parts Express and go to work. Soldering really isn't that hard at all and with a little practice, you will be able to do a very good job at it.

-Keith

Jan 28, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 23
I have access to free soldering iron and silver solder, so it would save heaps of money, but I want mine done professionally. I'm not going to pay for good stuff and end up messing it up.
biggrin.gif
Even if I could do a good job, I'm sure a person who knows what they're doing could do much better.

Jan 28, 2002 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 23
I did my last set DIY. It was my first soldering job, and I think it turned out great. In fact, I just got my new batch of cable so I can finish off my system. And at $3.25 a foot, it's a steal.

It's not that hard man. Just heat up the joint the wire and the RCA make and let the solder run down the wire to the joint. Voila!!! Easy as pie.

Jan 28, 2002 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I have access to free soldering iron and silver solder, so it would save heaps of money, but I want mine done professionally. I'm not going to pay for good stuff and end up messing it up.
biggrin.gif
Even if I could do a good job, I'm sure a person who knows what they're doing could do much better.

Well, getting it done "professionally" can mean a bunch of different things, from some of the exotic techniques that a place like Audioquest uses to getting an electronics tech to solder them up for you using similar tools and technique that you would use. The thing about doing them yourself is that you can take your time and make sure they are perfect vs. paying someone to do them that might be rushing to get them done. I've seen mixed results from "professionally" soldered cables.

-Keith

Jan 28, 2002 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 23
What about crimping? I've had bad experiences with solder as they would solidify unevenly(sorta like cement?) causing a lot of noise, or have I just been using bad solder (this is from art studio used for stained glass, cheapo stuff)?

Or what if I fubar?

Jan 28, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 23
If you fubar, you clip the end of the cable you were working on, and try again. Your cables will be an inch or two shorter.

I've made three sets of the Silver Sonic BL-1 (two sets of RCA to phone plug, one set of mini to RCA) for less than the cost of one retail pair of RCA to RCA.

Crimping is good, if you have the right tools. There's a good elementary tutorial on soldering in the FAQ section at audioasylum.com

Jan 28, 2002 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 23
Allright, where can I purchase online the cables, rca connectors, and good solder that solidifies evenly? What connector did you use for the miniplug?

That's the problem, I don't have the right tools, I've only done twist crimping (crude).

Jan 28, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #11 of 23
www.partsexpress.com

The "Dayton" RCAs are good, or WBT if you really want to go overboard (or Cardas SRCA if you want the best, but partsexpress does not have them)

Get the neutrik gold miniplug... the Canares are probably better but the Neutriks are fine, just do not use a really powerful soldering iron on them otherwise you may melt the plug.

Get the WBT silver solder if you feel rich, or the Kester 60/40 solder.

Also get some Heatshrink (3:1 ratio one) to finish the cable

Jan 28, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 23
I want the DH Labs RCA-2 connectors.
Does Neutrik make 90º miniplugs? What's difference between Neutrik and Canare plugs?

I've been using 60/40, and it sucks. What is the WBT made of? I don't want high content silver in there. Doesn't Cardas make solder too?

Jan 29, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #14 of 23
www.welbornelabs.com has the BL-1 as well as the DH-Labs RCA plugs, along with several others (including Cardas and WBT). Prices are better at partsexpress. I used a Switchcraft miniplug, as space was an issue and it's smaller. The drawback is that it's harder to work with. I've also got a Canare, if the urge to build another hits me.

Jan 29, 2002 at 1:29 AM Post #15 of 23
Thanks for the sites.
Now what miniplug and solder to get? I'm looking for high quality machined gold plated 90º mini, and better solder than 60/40 with maybe less lead content(this stuff is crude), and faint to no silver content at all.

Uhh, is it safe to use a heat gun for the heat shrink?

Also, how would you go about making the mini-rca y-cable? Two wires into one connector... *scratches head

Users who are viewing this thread

Back