Anyone here into bicycles?
Apr 13, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #46 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by televators /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I went to the local bike shop and they told me my bike was pretty much worthless, it's way too big for me they said (it measures in at 64cm) and she said she didn't have enough room to offer trade on a bike that probably won't sell for a while. The correct rider hight for the bike would 6'2" to 6'4".

My girlfriend got it for me for my birthday and she's really upset
frown.gif

I would use it. Bicycle is recreation. Am I the only one that used to ride everything with 2 wheels when I was a kid? So its a bit taller than it should be. Do you plan on getting using it going with 50miles/h downhill or something?

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #47 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by televators /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(it measures in at 64cm)

That is HUGE. 64 was likely the largest size that bike came in. I'm 5'8" My road bike is a 56cm and it is on the large side. Our tandem is 54cm in the front and it feels about right. If you are my size 64cm is downright unsafe.

Trek makes good bikes. Sell the one you have and get one that fits. Your GF should be ok with this. It is just like getting a shirt in the wrong size. You take it back and get the right one.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #48 of 110
I have a Fisher HKEK I bought a few years ago, of which I put 600 miles on last year. I also have a Bianchi Axis which I purchased last year and put 1200 miles on it.

I do mostly road type riding anymore so am contemplating putting slicks on the Axis or moving up to a road bike.

I may go another year with the Axis as is. It is so versatile, it'll go anywhere.

As a kid we rode bikes everywhere. As an adult defined by age I got back into it a few years ago and would ride everyday if work and weather permitted.

My goal this year is 2500 miles.

Happy Pedaling.

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #49 of 110
I've got a few bikes in the garage. My two most commonly ridden bikes right now are a Kona Jake The Snake cyclocross bike and an older Redline Monocog 26" wheel mtn bike. Both bikes are a blast to ride and I have a ton of fun on them.

Also, televators, Proper fit is key as well, so see what a local bike shop would recommend as to a correct size. FWIW, I am about 5'6" and have a longer torso than leg so I ride a smaller frame for the most part. My mtn bikes tend to be 17" frames or less, and my cross bike is a 49cm.

Buying used is ok, but it's always good to develop a good relationship with a quality bike shop for those times when you need expert help in repairing your bike.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #50 of 110
I am into mountain biking,and have a few Truths,and bought my wife a Turner 5 spot last year.I dont have a digi anymore,but here is a pic from
a while back of my 2k Truth.

resizefrom2560.jpg

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #51 of 110
I was for a long time, then got out of it for a few years, and a few months ago decided to dust off my old Trek. It's a 1993 Trek 830, I installed some ti bar ends, Kore handlebar, LX cantis, Xtr front and rear derailleur.

I need to finish my MAVIC Ceramic X517 rims and get them on there, right now the stock craptastic Arayz rims are still on
frown.gif

mybikekz7.jpg

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #52 of 110
I make do with my 10-11 year old Specialized Hardrock. It might need to be retired soon.
smily_headphones1.gif
Casual rider here and I think it's time for something better suited for road-riding and park trails. Looked at some models from Trek, Iron Horse, Ibex, etc, and find the whole thing so confusing! Then, the choice on whether to spend on bicycling or audio!
frown.gif
I'll probably pick up something newer within the next year.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #53 of 110
Quote:

It's a 1993 Trek 830,

The old steel frame Treks are great bicycles. I don't know if you can still get production steel mountain bike with rack fittings. I have a '96 930. This bike has thousands of miles on it. We've made a lot of the same upgrades. I have mine set up as a commuter. The Brooks Saddle and Carridice saddle bag are perhaps worth more than the bike. I'm riding to work today.
Trek930.JPG

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #54 of 110
When I was seven years old, my parents handed me down an old single-speed, coaster brake bike and made me learn how to ride it. I never looked back.

Currently I own three bikes. A used large-frame Ritchey mountain bike set up for all-purpose riding. A smaller Ritchey which, through years of toting my sand sculpture equipment to the beach, has turned into my park-it-anywhere beater bike. A Turner 5-spot for mountain riding.

I don't like cars, and detest driving. Parking is even worse. For the sand sculpture I made an aluminum carrier that held everything until my equipment expanded. Then I bought a Bikes At Work truss-frame trailer, which handled everything nicely. For middle-sized errands I use the commuter bike and a B.O.B. trailer. For trips into the mountains I simply ride from home and take a backpack.

To get to work, I ride the beater bike to a bus stop, lock it up and go downtown. I used to bring the bike with me but there are only two slots on the bike rack, and too many others have started riding.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #55 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewFischer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The old steel frame Treks are great bicycles. I don't know if you can still get production steel mountain bike with rack fittings. I have a '94 930. This bike has thousands of miles on it. We've made a lot of the same upgrades. I have mine set up as a commuter. The Brooks Saddle and Carridice saddle bag are perhaps worth more than the bike. I'm riding to work today.

How do you like the grip shift? I have a pair of Attack shifters and a pair of Diacompe brake levers thats been sitting in my parts box for a while. I been thinking of putting them on.

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #57 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you like the grip shift? I have a pair of Attack shifters and a pair of Diacompe brake levers thats been sitting in my parts box for a while. I been thinking of putting them on.

Honestly, I hate them. I put them on the bike when I converted to an 8 speed XTR rear cluster. They work great, but I don't like the ergonomics for road riding. (The reverse running XTR dérailleur came off of our tandem where it never worked right. A normally sprung 7-speed LX works much better with long cable runs and high tandem loads.)

My preferred setup is Shimano rapid-fire shifters / brake levers and a Scott AT2-LF bar. I wrap the bar in road bike tape. The result is a much more comfortable hand position.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/hand...ott_combo.html

When I can find the time, I'm going to swap the parts back onto the 930. Right now they are on my very old steel Gary Fisher.
The workmanship on this Fisher is about the best I've ever seen. Far better than my Trek or Bianchi. However the old technology on the bike leaves a lot to be desired. Roller stem. Rear U-Brake. The geometry is a bit off too. I doubt I've put more than 100 miles on this frame.

RollerStem.jpg

RearTriangle.jpg

HeadTube.jpg

It looks great but it just doesn't work as well as the Trek.

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #58 of 110
Quote:

My preferred setup is Shimano rapid-fire shifters / brake levers and a Scott AT2-LF bar. I wrap the bar in road bike tape. The result is a much more comfortable hand position.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/hand...ott_combo.html

Thats a pretty nice bar, with the ski bends built in, I always worry my bar ends will come loose (I always check them before I ride)

I used to really like my rapid-fire shifters, and have used them forever, but lately every time I down shift pain just shoots through my thumb, I'm guessing probably arthritis as I have allot of joint pain in my fingers, seems most anyone in family has it.

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #59 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I down shift pain just shoots through my thumb,

By all means try the grip shifts. More of a personal preference than an actual problem.

Another option would be bar cons. They won't fit in a mtn. bar though. You may be able to find some bar and stem combination that will work on your Trek. There are all sorts of odd-ball bar, brake and shifter options. Maybe you can find something.

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #60 of 110
Quote:

By all means try the grip shifts. More of a personal preference than an actual problem.

Another option would be bar cons. They won't fit in a mtn. bar though. You may be able to find some bar and stem combination that will work on your Trek. There are all sorts of odd-ball bar, brake and shifter options. Maybe you can find something.

Thanks for the suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back