Anyone here into bicycles?
Apr 12, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 110
Hey, that looks nice! I'm a bit of a cyclist myself, though not nearly as much as I used to be. I've got a Giant OCR 3, like the one below but a bit more scuffed. I used to be doing 40 miles (65km) a day when I was 14. I'm 18 now, and I don't go nearly as far, or as often, but I do cycle to my school which keeps me active at least. I plan to get back into distance riding as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer.

prod_1911.jpg

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 110
Please adjust the seat before you ride this bike for any serious distance. The downward angle of the seat will end up causing you a lot of neck and shoulder pain!

I'm a pretty serious cyclist, averaging about 150 miles/week in the season. I've done two AIDS/LifeCycle rides (585 miles over 7 days, from San Francisco to Los Angeles). I usually ride an '05 Trek 2300.

- Warren

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by televators /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah it's a little big, if i stand over it I can place my feet flat on the ground but the top tube is in my...

If it's... well, touching your scrotum... this could be a very dangerous ride for you. I would seriously consider investing in a basic bike fit at a local bike store, or ask a knowledgeable friend to help fit you. You really need to set the seat height very carefully, or you'll shred your knees. If the frame is already big for you, you're going to have to put the seat pretty low to keep your knees safe. Unfortunately, that may mean that you're going to have to drop or otherwise modify the handlebars to improve your weight distribution.

- Warren

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 110
I got an 80's Cannondale in white with red text. I used to ride it more than recently. It is light and fun, but not exactly the most comfortable thing with the oversized aluminum tubes. Apparently my particular model is known for extremely harsh rides. I always envy guys with steel road bikes. At least they soak up some of the harshness. Still a great bike...though it cost me $200 from some local shop that finds vintage bikes and cleans them up.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by televators /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, is this bike just to big? If so I will sell it and find something else.

Well, the simple, honest answer is..... yes. It's almost assuredly too big for you. You could seriously injure yourself with a top tube that, well, does what it does.

You might be able to coerce it into roughly fitting you, but the top tube height is not going to change, and the modifications you'll have to make for the rest of the bike might well cost two or three times what you paid for the bike.

I would take it to a bike shop and let them eyeball it. If they say it's workable, arrange a basic ~$20 bike fit. If you can't afford that, look around your area for a cycling club. Maybe someone near you wouldn't mind helping fit you for free.

- Warren

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 110
the badass kona cowan. i scored it for a paltry $500 at a garage sale. it has withstood countless stoppies and long jumps like a champ. don't have any pictures, but here's one i found on google:

IMG_2573.JPG

great bike. costs like $1400 new though. not as fast as a real racing bike, but it's great and rugged. i don't deserve it, i can't bmx to save my life...

edit: i mainly bike around the neighborhood, and for exercise

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #12 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the badass kona cowan. i scored it for a paltry $500 at a garage sale. it has withstood countless stoppies and long jumps like a champ. don't have any pictures, but here's one i found on google:

IMG_2573.JPG

great bike. costs like $1400 new though. not as fast as a real racing bike, but it's great and rugged. i don't deserve it, i can't bmx to save my life...

That's not a BMX, not even close, thats a Downhill bike. Totally different beast. Nice Kona thou.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #13 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not a BMX, not even close, thats a Downhill bike. Totally different beast. Nice Kona thou.

its a dirt jump bike, DH bikes have more suspesion, its very well setup, no front brakes, marzocchi dirt jump fork, perfect for tails whips and flips.

heres my baby
07da96138884mr5.jpg

props to the guy who got the trance!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back