Anyone here into bicycles?
Apr 12, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #17 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenochimera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its a dirt jump bike, DH bikes have more suspesion, its very well setup, no front brakes, marzocchi dirt jump fork, perfect for tails whips and flips.

that's the term i was looking for. i'm not a bike expert but i know mine has semi-slick tires, is longer than a normal bmx bike and shouldn't have pegs fitted (mine doesn't). it rides great and that's what matters to me. i think mine is older than the picture i posted, i have the 2005 model. i think i'll take it into the local bike shop sometime, to see if there's anything that needs fixing, because i don't want to wear such a great bike out.

edit: also, i really want one of those bikes with gigantic front tires, penny-farthing or something. that would be really fun for an independence day festival or something... really really fun!

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #18 of 110
that bicycle does look a little big and as one said, the saddle is angled somewhat strangely. when you do get it hooked up, lose the toe-hoops and if you want, sell a headphone or two and get some clipless looks or something that ill give you power and stability. you cannot go wrong with trek, so nice.

im sure that no one on this site is a true bicycler to spend over 12$ thousand on a bicycle, but you might get some nice opinions from those who use e500 on long road trips...

my bicycle is a very newby roadie at 1300$ with some small upgrades like a selle 135g saddle and look pedals. great investments if you plan to keep in shape; poor investments if you plan to keep it in your garage

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #19 of 110
hey can anyone suggest a old school bike like the one that the OP has for just bicycling around campus? I miss bicycling so much. I used to bike every day when I was younger in canada

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #20 of 110
Hey hey. Another biker here. (like my avatar?)

My mountain bike is a Schwinn Homegrown hardtail. (it's actually a Yeti frame, made in CO) It's a great ride--I just wish there were better trails to ride around here.

Mostly I'm a road rider. I LOVE touring! I generally get 3-4 tours each summer. I always ride self-contained (a bagger, as we're called) which means I'm hauling all my gear on my bike. I love the freedom.

In June, a small group of us ride a 4-day tour. We generally ride approx 60 miles/day. It's a pretty tough ride as we hit all the hilly back roads for less traffic. We've been doing this tour for 4 or 5 years now.

In July, there's a huge (between 12,000-15,000 bikers on an average day--Lance Armstrong rode last year and will be back again this year) bike ride across Iowa called RAGBRAI. It's generally around 500 miles over 7 days and is best described as a rolling Mardi Gras. I've ridden RAGBRAI the past 18 years. It's a blast. For a number of years now I've ridden out to the beginning and then back across, sometimes following the official route but lots of times not. By extending it I'm usually riding 10-12 days and somewhere in the neighborhood of 750-900 miles. My longest day was around 120 miles. (with full gear, including camping stuff) My 13 yr old daughter is planning on riding with me a few days this summer, too. Should be fun but she's going to have to do a lot of training beforehand.

I also do several overnite or weekend mini tours, lots of times solo, to state or county parks. I try to fit them in whenever I've can, usually on short notice.

For touring I used to ride a Cannondale road bike but a few years ago I bought a RANS Rocket recumbent. It's awesome! I can ride farther, faster and more comfortably than any other bike I've ever ridden! Plus it's just a whole lotta fun! I really feel like a little kid, whooshing around corners and flying down hills. It's a blast!

No bike pix at this time but here's one from a couple years ago. It was taken somewhere in western Iowa. I think we were riding out to the start of RAGBRAI but I'm not 100% sure. I think it's a pretty cool pic, though. (I'm on the right)

ragbraitractor.jpg

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #21 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey can anyone suggest a old school bike like the one that the OP has for just bicycling around campus? I miss bicycling so much. I used to bike every day when I was younger in canada

trek 820, pretty simple mountain bike with no suspesion and steel frames, nothing fancy but gets the easy jobs done.

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #23 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenochimera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its a dirt jump bike, DH bikes have more suspesion, its very well setup, no front brakes, marzocchi dirt jump fork, perfect for tails whips and flips.

Um, not really. Suspension = bad for dirt jumping. It's more of an xc bike that's set up to mimic a dirt jumper. Kind of a weird way to go, in my opinion, though the geometry looks ok.

I'll get pics of my bike up here later, it's in the shop right now but I should have it back tonight (keeping my fingers crossed).

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #24 of 110
oof, my OTHER hobby... it's gotten me into trouble for the last nine years, ever since I started working in bike shops.
icon10.gif
I had a Bianchi Veloce for six of those years, but since I sold it I'm having more and more trouble justifying the road thing; public transportation where I am is just too easy, and the drivers are far too non-linearly terrible, for me to want to spend much time on the roads with them.

My mountain bike, on the other hand... it'll go up hills and back down 'em about as quickly as anything else out there. Wheels are 29" rather than the standard 26"; they roll crazy fast, soak up bumps like you wouldn't believe, and make a bike look normal under my 6'3" frame. Last MTB I'll ever buy. Here's a lovely photo from the night I finished building it up (pedals and tires have since been replaced).

w00t.jpg

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #26 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by random-adam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oof, my OTHER Last MTB I'll ever buy.

Famous last words. My poor Karate Monkey has gone through so many iterations. Even if it was the last bike I ever bought I'm sure i've spent more than 2-3 bikes in upgrades / cross-grades.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #27 of 110
Previous Ride: Da Bomb CR8, Marzzochi Z1-CR Black, Magura Louise FR, Mavics 321 with Deore Hubs, Kooka Cold Forge Cromo Downhill Cranks Gunmetal, Ultegra Cogset and Rear Dee with LX shifters.
Sold it cause i quit freeriding TT

Current Ride: Progear Comp, Rockshox Duke SL, Avids Digit 7, Alex Rims with Deore Hubs, Full XT Drivetrain.

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #28 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by SebastianS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Famous last words. My poor Karate Monkey has gone through so many iterations. Even if it was the last bike I ever bought I'm sure i've spent more than 2-3 bikes in upgrades / cross-grades.

I know, I know.
wink.gif
I think part of it is that I've been in the industry long enough to have gotten a little jaded on the upgrade/replace mentality; I honestly can't think of better bang-for-the-buck stuff to hang on that ride, and I certainly don't make enough to put shiny parts on it beyond what's there. Maybe if someone comes out with a nicer 29" four-inch fork... that's my only regret, was not putting a 29er-modified Maverick DUC32 on there... there's always next year.

Word to the Karate Monkey. That there's a crazy versatile frame.

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #29 of 110
Quote:

this is basically what i was going for too, since i'm not an enthusiast, just a cruiser really. i looked up some great old vintage schwinns on craigslist from the '60s and found a pair that really fit that collegiate/boardwalk cruise mode. i love the kickback hub (pedal backwards, you stop! it's a 2-speed too but the clutch is busted, hehe) and it's a beast in weight and resistance so it gives a nice lil workout too and looks good doing it. steel fenders, the whole deal!

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #30 of 110
Quote:

Any older steel frame Trek mountain bike. Get one without shocks. Somewhere between the 830 and 930. Put slick tires on it. That's what I use for casual riding and commuting. You don't get the performance of a road bike but the wider tires and more relaxed geometry make it good for what you are looking for. I don't have any pictures of my commuter, but here is one of my road bike:

Girobig.jpg

You could use something like this -- but it would be harder to get on and off and you shouldn't be jumping curbs with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back