Anyone here has the Koss Pro DJ-200?
Jun 27, 2012 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 179

HiFiGuy528

Member of the Trade: Woo Audio
Looks to be a well built headphones with nice accessories.  Anyone here has one?  I'm thinking of getting a pair.

http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/full_size_headphones/PRODJ200__PRODJ200_Full_Size_Headphones

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 179
i have the tony bennett one which should be the same, what you want to know about it? the accessories are different though the headphone itself looks the same except mine has the tony bennett signature on the earcups which i think makes it cooler :) i havent listened to it too intensively and i listen to it mostly when im commuting which degrades the overall sound quality because of the outside noise but to me (i already have another headfier disagreed with my impression), it has a neutral sound with the mid being a bit forward. clarity is quite good but to me my dt990 sounds better, somehow it just sounds more hifi-ish. it may not be a fair comparison though because i listen to my dt990 at home and my tbse1 on noisy barts.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 179
Quote:
From what I've read, the Tony B version is based on the Pro DJ-100. The 200 is suppose to be a cleaner sound. Looks like there isn't much interest here on this model.

I'm willing to bet money the DJ200 is 100% identical inside to the Tony Bennett version. The only difference would have to be that the DJ200 has that remote and mic on it's cable.
I've heard the DJ200 at Best Buy and it sounds the same as my DJ100/TB.

The only difference between the DJ100 and TB is that the TB I have has holes in the back of the cups drilled straight to the aluminum and the DJ100 I have doesn't. Don't know what this does for the sound if anything.
The DJ100 and TB measure different on Headroom's website, but to me they sound the same mostly. Actually the TB does sound clearer, but i'm about 95% sure this is my imagination.

I'd suggest getting the $80 Tony Bennett version or pay the $120 if you need the remote and the headphone without the signature. The case is worthless to me because I don't use them for travel and it's almost always in use.

BTW I don't think there's much interest in the DJ200 right now because it's new and costs $120, when the TB is $80 and the DJ100 is $55 on Amazon.

If I didn't have any of them i'd get the TB version even if it was $90 and the DJ100 was $55. Just due to the detachable cable and case.

Note: if you pick these up, make sure to get some M50 pads too for even better sound/comfort.

Jun 27, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 179
Thank you for the info. I'm not sure if I like the large TB signature on the ear cups. Kinda flashy. :D

Does BB have the DJ-200 too? Perhaps I should check them out in person. The iPhone remote is useful if it also comes with standard cable.

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 179
You are correct with your findings. Below is the communication I had with Koss between the three headphones.

3:25:49 PM: Customer Support 2:
    Here are the details about the Tony Bennett headphones.....

3:26:00 PM: Customer Support 2:
    All three use the same elements, the ProDJ200 has two cords, one with the KTC option and a carrying case.  The Tony Bennett includes a case, is a signature series headphone, and has a free CD download.

3:26:01 PM: Mike:
    The first question is my question for Koss. Sorry fr the error

3:26:39 PM: Customer Support 2:
    The Tony also has a detachable cord

3:26:52 PM: Mike:
    Sound signature wise, which is better?

3:27:17 PM: Mike:
    I like a clean neutral sound.

3:27:24 PM: Customer Support 2:
    All three headphones use the same element with the same frequency response, it is just a matter of what features you are looking for

3:27:51 PM: Customer Support 2:
    The ProDJ100 is a no frills, fantastic sounding headphone that has the same freq response as our Pro4aa, Pro4AAT headphones

3:28:35 PM: Customer Support 2:
    The ProDJ200 has the KTC which can be used with iPhones and iPods

3:28:55 PM: Customer Support 2:
    And the Tony Bennett has the detachable cord and the Duets II CD download

3:29:32 PM: Mike:
    Can I get the iPhone cable for the TB version?

3:29:57 PM: Customer Support 2:
    Unfortunately we are unable to provide the KTC cord with the TB version

3:30:10 PM: Customer Support 2:
    You can only get it if you order the ProDj200

3:32:14 PM: Customer Support 2:
    Do you have any other questions regarding the headphones?

3:32:21 PM: Mike:
    Brb

3:32:25 PM: Customer Support 2:
    Alright

3:33:43 PM: Mike:
    I see... So the only difference are the features and accessories they come with?

3:33:49 PM: Customer Support 2:
    That is correct

3:34:11 PM: Mike:
    Is the TB version limited production run?

3:34:51 PM: Mike:
    So the KTC cable can not be obtain at your Parts department?

3:34:52 PM: Customer Support 2:
    Yes, they are limited to a certain number

3:35:16 PM: Customer Support 2:
    No, the cable only comes with the Prodj200, we do not sell it separately.

3:35:31 PM: Mike:
    Ok

3:36:01 PM: Mike:
    Is the TB version numbered?  More collectible?

3:36:29 PM: Customer Support 2:
    No they are not numbered

3:36:53 PM: Mike:
    Thank you for your help. You answered all

3:37:01 PM: Mike:
    My questions.

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 179
i picked the tony bennett because of the detachable cable and case mostly because i use it mostly for commute. i also like the tony bennett signature on the earcups and the price difference between them is not so huge, so i said why not?

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 179
3:27:24 PM: Customer Support 2:
    All three headphones use the same element with the same frequency response, it is just a matter of what features you are looking for
3:27:51 PM: Customer Support 2:
    The ProDJ100 is a no frills, fantastic sounding headphone that has the same freq response as our Pro4aa, Pro4AAT headphones

:rolleyes:.

Anyways, try contacting Koss (probably use a new e-mail address or better yet, call the 1-800 (it isn't 24x7)) and say you have a DJ-200 and lost the KTC cable and need a replacement - see if they'll sell you one that way. TMK none of these are serialized (even the ESP headsets aren't themselves serialized that I've ever seen (the amps are though, which is even weirder)); so I'm guessing they probably won't ask you to "prove" ownership in some way. I'd estimate $15-$20 for the part, if they really have one to sell; and this is all social engineering in practice. The only times I've not been able to get parts out of Koss over the phone has been when they're legitimately OOS/OOP. Just be nice about it. This is assuming you want the TBSE1 with the KTC cable (I could actually see the appeal, and don't get why they don't offer the cable with them). From the web images of the DJ-200, it looks to be the same TRS termination on both 'phones. FWIW. :xf_eek:

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #12 of 179
Quote:
Top is DJ-100, bottom is PRO4/AA. DJ-200 was unavailable. They're from here: http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/

Thank you.  The graph looks pretty good for the DJ-100.

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #13 of 179
Thank you.  The graph looks pretty good for the DJ-100.

Do not compare that directly to Purrin/Tyll/GoldenEars graphs - dig around on that site for the MDR-SA5000 graph to get an idea of why I'm saying this (and I'm suggesting the SA5000 because I know you own them). It was merely to illustrate the discrepancy in what Koss was telling you; I'm not sure if that also means the DJ 200 will be different though. But the Pro4AA and DJ100 do not measure identically.

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 179
Koss is only a mile or two away from me so I go down there once and a while. The DJ200 sound the exact same as the TB and DJ100's.

Jul 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #15 of 179
Koss is only a mile or two away from me so I go down there once and a while. The DJ200 sound the exact same as the TB and DJ100's.

So you personally compared the three?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back