Anyone Here Actually Have a pair of Orpheuses?
Oct 2, 2003 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Heyyoudvd

500+ Head-Fier
I'm just curious if anyone here owns the most expensive at 12-15 grand, I believe), and, supposedly, best headphones in the world.

If so, I really want to know how they sound. I know that diminishing returns always occurs with electronics (the more you pay, the less of the increase in quality you get, usually).

So, how would you compare these $15,000 headphones to a pair of $700 RS1's, or $350 HD600s, or even a pair of R10's etc...

Is there a significant audible difference in the sound quality?

I'm asking all this out of sheer curiosity, as the best headphones I've ever listened to (and own) are the SR60s because of my budget.

Oct 2, 2003 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 46
Orpheus is actually a headphone 'system' from what I read anyways.

Amp, preamp, DAC and a phone. So, the price is not just for 'phones.

It's a visual stunner but I am curious how competent its DAC section would be since it has been around for a long time.

Oct 2, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 46
Yes, kuma is right. Orpheus is a combination of the HE90 headphones and HEV90 tube amplifier. I don't recall who it is that actually has a full Orpheus system, but I do believe someone here does.

eric343 has a pair of the HE90 headphones

bozebuttons may also have a pair of the HE90's, but IIRC, he has a Baby Orpheus system.

The HE90's, out of a humble Stax amp, sound amazing. It blows the HD600s out of the water. I've never heard the R10, so I can't comment on that. I just remember they kicked my Sony CD3000's butt, though...

Oct 2, 2003 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 46
Quote:

bozebuttons may also have a pair of the HE90's, but IIRC, he has a Baby Orpheus system.

Yup, he has both. Quote:

The HE90's, out of a humble Stax amp, sound amazing.

Double yup! I was veryimpressed, as well.

Oct 2, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 46
There are a couple of posters here I can think of who own the top Orpheus system. But I can't think of anyone who has a pair of them
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
There are a couple of posters here I can think of who own the top Orpheus system. But I can't think of anyone who has a pair of them
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL< you know what I mean...

I never know what to say. is it "a headphone" or is it "a pair of headphones" (just like a pair of pants)?

It just doesn't sound right to me, to say "I own an SR60". Some doesn't sound right, grammatically.

But at the same time, to say "a pair of", and make the object plural by adding an "s" or "es", doesn't sound natural either.

So, which is it?

I think this is one of questions for the ages that we'll never get an answer to, just like the meaning of life.

biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Heyyoudvd
LOL< you know what I mean...

I never know what to say. is it "a headphone" or is it "a pair of headphones" (just like a pair of pants)?

It just doesn't sound right to me, to say "I own an SR60". Some doesn't sound right, grammatically.

But at the same time, to say "a pair of", and make the object plural by adding an "s" or "es", doesn't sound natural either.

So, which is it?

I think this is one of questions for the ages that we'll never get an answer to, just like the meaning of life.

biggrin.gif

It'd be "I own the SR-60s." Or "I have a set of SR-60s"

Oct 2, 2003 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 46
You should hear the HE90s out of the KGSS or Blue Hawaii Hybrid.
wink.gif

Rumour has it that someone in Seattle has 3 Orpheus systems. He/She/It wanted the same system in three different rooms.

I suppose that it's cheaper than having your butler cart your Orpheus around behind you.
orphsmile.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson M.
Rumour has it that someone in Seattle has 3 Orpheus systems. He/She/It wanted the same system in three different rooms.

Is there one in the bathroom? That would be a true example of extravegance.

[Greatest bathroom ever.]

Oct 2, 2003 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 46
The Orpheus DAC is subpar according to rumors.

Fish Tank - Schematics for the Orpheus exist, so modding shouldn't be too hard. The schematics are very low-quality thoguh.

Wilson - no, the guy has 3 in two rooms - he wanted to maintain room symmetry in his listening room, and have a bedroom system.

Vwap - Try hearing them off a KGSS or Hybrid...

BTW, people around here who own an Orpheus (or HE90s, the headphones alone), off the top of my head:
Jatinder (he's got the whole deal)
Bozebuttons (HE90s)
Me (HE90s)

Oct 2, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Wilson - no, the guy has 3 in two rooms - he wanted to maintain room symmetry in his listening room, and have a bedroom system.

Vwap - Try hearing them off a KGSS or Hybrid...

Hearing them on an "alright" Stax amp was enough. Next thing you know, I'll want a pair, and that's not a good thing.
tongue.gif
I'll just keep telling myself that it wasn't all that great.
wink.gif

And the guy that has 3 Orpheii.. If I remember correctly, his name wasn't Bill or Paul, right?...

Oct 2, 2003 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Fish Tank X
How easy would it be to hack the Orpheus system? Like, replace Sennheisers DAC with a Gold Link III or something.

The thing also has analog inputs, which most people use (the internal DAC is not though too highly of).

Oct 2, 2003 at 10:08 PM Post #14 of 46
IIRC there are a couple of members that believe that any good Stax system, sounded better, according to they preferences, electrostatic do some things good, and the dynamic do another better, is all about what do you prefer, about the Orpheus being the best system in the world, is debatable also, do a search on Stax+Blue Hawaii, or Nik system, and you will see really "best of the world" systems, I have not heard any though, so I can't comment on that neither, I just be extremely happy with Orpheus, even a defective one....

note: IMO and IME you do not need too much effort to blow out of the water the HD600, IMO and IME the CD3000 blows it away in many aspects, but this is just me, about the other two, I have no heard them...but hirsch can tell you...remember is all about preferences also.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back