Anyone heard of these super cool looking pcdp?
Aug 28, 2001 at 5:00 AM Post #31 of 73
Except the Sportapros are so ugly that people will just think you look like a goof wearing them. Believe me I used to use them at school. Wasn't a good idea. I don't really think any good sounding headphones look good on my head but the sportapros are worse cuz they have that big clunky looking part of the headband that sticks out.

I think my Sony D-E446CK looks masculine enough. Silver metallic look instead of that light blue or gray crap. It looks even more masculine now cause it's scratched up and that gives it a sort of worn in and used kind of look. It just looks like it's been through a lot. I like some black players too.

Aug 28, 2001 at 5:26 AM Post #32 of 73
It's kind of hard, cause it's been a while, but if I think back really hard, I can almost remember back to when I actually cared about what people thought about the way I looked (or my stuff looked etc...).

I think marriage has a way of making you forget those kinds of things, cause after all, who is there to impress anymore?? I'm not knocking you guys for caring about that kind of stuff, but after a while you just forget about it and get what you like, even if it's a purple makeup case looking cd player or some butt ugly cans or whatever. I'm just reminiscing, don't mind me
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2001 at 2:59 AM Post #34 of 73
Alright back on the topic...

I got a response from the kenwood guys:

Thank you for writing to us at Kenwood USA Corporation.

The headphone output on the DPC-X517 is 9 mW. This unit has a line output
jack but not a digital audio output.

If you have any further questions or need help with anything, please feel
free to contact us again.

So 9mw on this player...

Aug 29, 2001 at 3:26 AM Post #35 of 73
Hey, that's a pretty good response.

The guys from Panasonic needed 15 minutes to figure out whether their players have line out or not.
'Sorry, the 570 doesn't have a line-out'

"Well, I listened to one 2 hours ago, and it definitely had
a line-out"

'Hmm, I'll look again. No, no line-out. Which model was it again?'

Since then I don't dare to ask anything more complicated than about the colour of the device...

Aug 31, 2001 at 4:33 AM Post #38 of 73
Okay, if it's not too late to jump in...

most CD (and MD) players have 3-beam laser pickup: 1 beam reads the data and the other 2 keeps it on track. The only exception that I'm aware of are most of Panasonic's MD players (SJ-MJ70, MJ35, MJ75, MJ33, MJ77, MR100, MR200...) - they use a 1-beam design.

Wide capture is a way of saying the player can read off the CD at some speed other than the designated speed. Let's say you have the CD player in hand, walking. When you swing your arm, the CD will end up changing speed as the whole unit swings like a pendulum. Panasonic models from the SL-SX510 onwards already have this, as part of the whole "anti-shock II" system. Panasonic's MD players from the MJ88 onwards are also capable of this. I assume that Sony models should definitely have this by now, because this greatly increases the timespan at which the CD could be read, and therefore reduces skip quite a bit.

My experiences with Kenwood portables are that they generally sound great, but they're obviously not as good at engineering portables as Sony or Panasonic. The details are often very unrefined in appearance, the logic of operation can be inconvenient. Sometimes the sound does leave you begging for more...

The Kenwoods that we're discussing here are capable of taking 4 AA batteries internally, if I recall correctly.

There's been a feminine (estrogen?) rush in portable design since last year. All that PINK Sharp portables... *sigh*. Speaking of masculine portables, have anyone seen Panasonic's new CT790?

http://prodb.matsu****a.co.jp/produc....1970.JASL.jpg

It's just thinner than the CT780, specs are similar, except for 48-second anti-shock, which I guess is for power-saving purposes.

Aug 31, 2001 at 3:17 PM Post #42 of 73
crap that player looks good! seems like it has all controls and the display on the remote..

Aug 31, 2001 at 3:28 PM Post #44 of 73
it doesn't seem to be listed on the US site yet either. damn...

no Braver, you have absolutely no need for a p-cdp remember!

but!
frown.gif

Sep 1, 2001 at 6:36 AM Post #45 of 73
All right guys, relax... The CT790 isn't even out in Japan yet. The scheduled launch date is October 1, although if you live in Japan, you might see units shipped before then.
wink.gif

Actually, Panasonic's Japanese press release had no pictures (this large pic is from their online catalog), just a black & white PDF file. The unit looked even more sublime in B&W than in color IMO, because it's even more minimalistic. I too wanted one, until I saw the big pictures.
smily_headphones1.gif

The unit itself does not have a display. It's about the same thickness as the CT780 (14.3mm, the CT780 is 14.7mm excluding the display "bulge"). It's 10g or so lighter than the CT780, and battery life extends a little bit more, hitting a maximum of 100 hours. Anti-shock technology and equalizer is identical to that of the CT780.

The MD player announced on the same day (SJ-MJ10) has a remote that lets you change its "faceplate" like cell phones. The CT790 remote is the same design, but doesn't seem to allow for changing the thing
mad.gif

To feed your enthusiasm, here's a large piccie of the blue CT790 (CT790-A, as opposed to CT790-S) :

http://prodb.matsu****a.co.jp/produc....1971.JASL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back