Anyone heard of these super cool looking pcdp?
Aug 26, 2001 at 12:42 PM Post #16 of 73
Do you think there's such a thing as a masculine/femine design in portable CD players? My first impression of this Kenwood CDP was "It looks like it was designed for girls." It has a very soft look. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very interesting design but something about it says "femine" to me. What do you guys and gals think?

Aug 26, 2001 at 4:22 PM Post #17 of 73
Hmm... I saw the blue one in a store a few months ago... The lid seemed very flimsy to me.. almost as bad as the CT580...
And yes artmusic, I agree. It does seem a tad 'girly' to me also.. (I was considering getting this one for my little sister).

Aug 26, 2001 at 7:34 PM Post #18 of 73
My Kenwoods had all that dual 1 bit crap and 3 times oversampling. They also had terrible battery life. Rated 20 hours on 4AA!'s and it really only lasted about half of that! It wasn't loud at all either. I think Kenwood looks a bit more high end than Sony or Panasonic so Kenwood tries to advertise things that make their players sound like they are better but they aren't. I am just still kind of ticked off at Kenwood cause of all the problems I had. Future Shop warranty replaced all 4 of my Kenwoods when they broke and finally I got a Sony that outlasted 4 Kenwoods put together. Kenwoods are made in China too. I think the lasers in them are rated for about 150 hours of use. Maybe the really old Kenwoods were loud but not the ones made in the last few years.
btw mine looks a lot more durable than the ones shown here but they weren't.
By all means someone get one though. I'd like to hear how they sound with good headphones. They don't play loud though believe me. And remember you have to turn the bass boost off every time you start it up!
Done my ranting for now.

Aug 26, 2001 at 9:01 PM Post #19 of 73
OMGM - deuce....I think I'll stick with Panasonic
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2001 at 9:06 PM Post #20 of 73
Oversampling is nothing to brag about...most CDP's have it by default. Philips portables can have up to 256x oversampling in fact.

Again yet another case of caring about printed specs too much.

Aug 26, 2001 at 10:42 PM Post #21 of 73
Well, it's true I jumped at the specs. But I would definetely not have been the first to buy one - so I was protected
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 26, 2001 at 11:26 PM Post #22 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by artmusic247
Do you think there's such a thing as a masculine/femine design in portable CD players? My first impression of this Kenwood CDP was "It looks like it was designed for girls." It has a very soft look. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very interesting design but something about it says "femine" to me. What do you guys and gals think?

I also think there's masculine and femenine designs. All those cute looking players with blue lids look like oversized make up thingies to me. On the other hand, my SL-SX500 looks, at least for me, really masculines, mostrly because it's squared form factor, not round and with pastel like colours.

On the other hand, the dark colored player looks rather nice. I'll try and check them out down here if I can find them.

Aug 27, 2001 at 9:15 PM Post #23 of 73
hmmm... so it appears despite looking super cool, though apparently feminine (black = big penis, type logic ?? hehe
tongue.gif
) Kenwoods aren't no good .. shucks!!

thanks for the feedback guys,
-g

Aug 27, 2001 at 10:05 PM Post #24 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by gorgon_123
hmmm... so it appears despite looking super cool, though apparently feminine (black = big penis, type logic ?? hehe
tongue.gif
) Kenwoods aren't no good .. shucks!!

thanks for the feedback guys,
-g

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Aug 27, 2001 at 10:14 PM Post #25 of 73
um, onix, i think he was trying to say the sterotype that black men are more "fly" in a certain way was being transplanted onto people's perception of the PCDPs 'gender' if you will......
rolleyes.gif

Aug 27, 2001 at 10:45 PM Post #26 of 73
My 'masculine' portable setup would consist of:

-Sony DEJ-925 or Panasonic CT-780
-(Total?) Airhead Amp
-Sony e888's and Sony ex70's (so that I could switch just to show off to people, and also so that I could switch for certain environments cuz of the isolation)
-And I would put these all inside of a black Diesel CD player carrying case - yes, there is a such thing!

Whattya guys (and girls- if there are any here, hehe
frown.gif
) think? It would look good, eh?

Aug 27, 2001 at 10:47 PM Post #27 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
um, onix, i think he was trying to say the sterotype that black men are more "fly" in a certain way was being transplanted onto people's perception of the PCDPs 'gender' if you will......
rolleyes.gif

ohhhh, thanks, vij, i was lost on that one too
black ppl = big, well, things...i get it

ps, can i call u 'vij'?

Aug 27, 2001 at 10:55 PM Post #28 of 73
sapphiremodena: sure, you can call me vij. Everyone who knows me a little bit better than just through the forums (PM, business, etc.) calls me vij, as do my friends and family. I actually prefer vij...I may switch to that sn....but coolvij is good for now
biggrin.gif

Also - I don't think the 780 looks masculine....don't kno why. The black sony's do....especially those odd-shaped ones (711? I dunno...)

Aug 27, 2001 at 11:38 PM Post #29 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
rolleyes.gif

I believed that would only apply to cars, oh well.

Aug 28, 2001 at 12:28 AM Post #30 of 73
Quote:

My 'masculine' portable setup would consist of:

-Sony DEJ-925 or Panasonic CT-780
-(Total?) Airhead Amp
-Sony e888's and Sony ex70's (so that I could switch just to show off to people, and also so that I could switch for certain environments cuz of the isolation)
-And I would put these all inside of a black Diesel CD player carrying case - yes, there is a such thing!

No Way! the D-Ej01 is WAAAAAAAAAAy more masculine than the "cute" 925... And the e888/ex70 look like jewlery!

D-ej01 into a Sportapro is Way better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back