Anyone hear the Fostex TH900???
Apr 1, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #31 of 39
I personally thought they were very over rated and I feel that Fostex might be selling a pair of tuned D7000s for more than double the price. I'm going off of a brief listen, so I would have to give them a second, longer listen, but I feel this happens a lot Ultrasone Edition 10 anyone?

Either way, I would still get a pair of LCD-3s.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #32 of 39
Before anyone jumps to any conclusuions read info. on TH-900 at Fostex.com. website. It appears that some parts could be from Denon D7000 such as headband parts. But the cups and the driver/diaphram are different. Happy Listening.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:
I personally thought they were very over rated and I feel that Fostex might be selling a pair of tuned D7000s for more than double the price. I'm going off of a brief listen, so I would have to give them a second, longer listen, but I feel this happens a lot Ultrasone Edition 10 anyone?

Either way, I would still get a pair of LCD-3s.

A quick look at the specs implies they've seriously reworked something, probably the diaphragm, since it has a stronger magnet, the same impedance (so maybe the same voice coil), but a much lower sensitivity.

Plus those cups are just a work of art...

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #35 of 39
Yes, the cable is quite nice. The only cable I really noticed when at RMAF 2011. I also agree with lilkoolaidman regarding the sound, but I think the Edition 10 comment is off-base entirely. The ED10s are just awful at any price, whereas the TH900 is good, but not $2000 good, imo.

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #36 of 39

Quote:
Yes, the cable is quite nice. The only cable I really noticed when at RMAF 2011. I also agree with lilkoolaidman regarding the sound, but I think the Edition 10 comment is off-base entirely. The ED10s are just awful at any price, whereas the TH900 is good, but not $2000 good, imo.

Yes, well I wasn't really comparing them. I would get Fostex's any day over the ED10s. But it seems like the higher end you get with Ultrasones, the more of an extreme "V" type sound signature they get. I preferred the ED8s TBH. The 10s were just straight up bad for me. The Fostex's weren't bad by any means, just that they lacked that "wow" factor that the LCD3s had and so the price wasn't justified for me, but I'll try to spend more time with them the next time I get the chance though.

JMHO, YMMV, etc. etc.

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #37 of 39
The real question as far as I'm concerned, do these sound any better than the Mark Lawton/Lawton Audio D5000s and D7000s? Obviously these are an upgrade over the stock Denons given the price, but I wonder if they are basically just doing the same thing Mark does and charging out the butt for it. Hmmm. If not, and they sound better, then that would be amazing. Lawton MD5000s are the best dynamic phones I have ever heard.

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:
The real question as far as I'm concerned, do these sound any better than the Mark Lawton/Lawton Audio D5000s and D7000s? Obviously these are an upgrade over the stock Denons given the price, but I wonder if they are basically just doing the same thing Mark does and charging out the butt for it. Hmmm. If not, and they sound better, then that would be amazing. Lawton MD5000s are the best dynamic phones I have ever heard.

well, do they sound better? anyone?

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

I believe Magick Man has both, and he's quite smitten with the TH-900. I wonder which I'd prefer, since the TH-900 has a massive bass boost, though from what I've heard, it's speedy enough that it still sounds good.

If I could find a headphone that had the midrange and highs of the lawton D7k's (though with a bit less sibilance) and the bass of the B&W 685's, I'd probably never leave the house. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back