Anyone hear the Fostex TH900???
Feb 23, 2012 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Androktasiai

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone have the pleasure of trying the new Fostex TH900 yet?

What audiocubes.com is calling the new "King of Headphones", with a $2300 USD price tag to match?

Fostex makes the Denon AH-DXXXX Series headphones, and if you look closely at the headband, you will notice that is in fact the same (minus the metallics)

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 39
Quote:
What audiocubes.com is calling the new "King of Headphones", with a $2300 USD price tag to match?

Do you think it coincidence that the most expensive headphone they sell and that they have exclusive international online distribution rights happens to be the "king of headphones"?

Muppetface has an impressions and discussions thread set up.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 39
Wow, nice to see Fostex make a high-end headphone under their own name.

The headband looks very similar to the Denons, but isn't the same, slightly different design.
They *seem* to be using the angled earpad design of the denons as well.
The cable looks to be a similar cloth-covered design; even the rubber bits look the same. (EDIT: Looking at the specs of the Fostex's TH900 cable, it seems to most likely be the same cable as in the D7000's.)

They're smart, reusing designs and ideas that worked well for previous products, but keeping everything new and ever so slightly different. Be really excited to see how these compare to others in the same price range. :)

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 39

Quote:
Well, there is exactly one other headphone in it's price range - the LCD-3

or the O2 if you consider it without the amplifier.

A large number of STAX are at (or above) that price range. Also the Sennheiser Orpheus are quite a lot more (if you can find one).

Though no dynamic headphone (which I'm guessing this is) that I know of is anywhere near this price.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 39

Ultrasone Edition 10 - $2749.00. 
Next down would be the Audio-Technica ATH-W3000ANV at around $1500. If you include used products you can add a few more.

And yes the TH-900 is dynamic; from the pictures thread it looks like every other Fostex (Denon) headphone, with slightly nicer cups and some other upsell features. If those earpads aren't real leather, this is a joke (remember: this costs over two thousand US dollars). I'm not expecting a whole lot relative to the price (based on the other Fostex headphones). 

Quote:
Though no dynamic headphone (which I'm guessing this is) that I know of is anywhere near this price.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 39

Quote:
Ultrasone Edition 10 - $2749.00. 
Next down would be the Audio-Technica ATH-W3000ANV at around $1500. If you include used products you can add a few more.

And yes the TH-900 is dynamic; from the pictures thread it looks like every other Fostex (Denon) headphone, with slightly nicer cups and some other upsell features. If those earpads aren't real leather, this is a joke (remember: this costs over two thousand US dollars). I'm not expecting a whole lot relative to the price (based on the other Fostex headphones). 

Ahhh damn, forgot the Edition 10's! :p
I usually don't remember Ultrasone makes the Edition 10's since they're supposed to be pretty bleh. I always think of the Edition 8 Palladiums ($1700) as their top-end. :p
I'm hoping the Fostex's aren't going to be like the Edition 10's (basically just expensive materials, a headphone rolex).

Honestly, the fact that the D7000's don't have real leather is ridiculous enough. ಠ_ಠ

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 39
Mother******... :eek: It's like D7000s on steroids. Me want!

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 39

Quote:
Mother******...
eek.gif
It's like D7000s on steroids. Me want!

Wanna be the first to bite the bullet? :wink:

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 39
Wanna be the first to bite the bullet? :wink:

Dunno... maybe if I were to get a nice discount.

and my wife somehow didn't notice the charge on the AmEx statement. Yeeeeah, riiiight.

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:
Ahhh damn, forgot the Edition 10's! :p
I usually don't remember Ultrasone makes the Edition 10's since they're supposed to be pretty bleh. I always think of the Edition 8 Palladiums ($1700) as their top-end. :p
I'm hoping the Fostex's aren't going to be like the Edition 10's (basically just expensive materials, a headphone rolex).

Honestly, the fact that the D7000's don't have real leather is ridiculous enough. ಠ_ಠ

Sakamoto Urushi lacquer coating, from the sap of a poisonous and traditionally Japanese grown plant.

Logo applied with a platinum sheet.

and...

Idemitsu Grancuir is the leather in question! (source, product description on Rakuten Global Market: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/audio-s/item/th900/

Made out of eggshell membrane proteins.

Okay is a coated polyurethane fabric, hehe :frowning2:. Sorry. I just discovered it actually, product page: http://www.idemitsu.com/technofine/product/leather/protein1.html.

Still I think it will feel as good and remain for as long as real leather.

Jude Mansilla is saying it is perhaps one of the best looking headphone he has ever seen. http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/view/id/571138#page=0&sort=display_order

Users who are viewing this thread

Back