Anyone Have Ray Samuels XP-7
Jan 24, 2008 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

BigEat

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting this amp and using it as a portable. I'm also thinking about pairing it with the Apogee Duet which would be used as the DAC. Anyone own it or have experience with it? Any thoughts about this configuration? Thanks.

Jan 24, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 18
I owned the XP-7 until about a week or so ago. Fantastic amp and you can roll opamps to tailor the sound to your liking.. Transportable ? Definitely. Portable ? No !

Sorry I don't have experience with Apogee.

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 18
The XP-7 is almost twice the size of an SR-71, and the SR-71 is big as far as portables go.

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 18
A compact and solidly built amp with a lovely clean sound. It has a small foot print and sits comfortably on my bedside table with a Sony D33 perched on top. Gets through batteries quickly so I'd advise buying it with the PSU if you plan on listening to it for extended periods. Not really portable but don't let that stop you - just get a large bag!

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fld777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi,

anyone compared the XP-7 with the HR2 ? they are both close in price range.

thanks for inputs.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/xp-7-vs-hr2-191693/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/son...-hr-2-a-95455/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/xp7-hr-2-a-152690/

wink.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 18
I haven't heard the HR2 but someone that knows a thing or two about the HR2 told me that with the AD797 opamps the XP7 would sound pretty close to the HR2.

The XP-7 is a superb amp. I sold mine (and already regret it) as I wanted something a bit more portable.

I agree that it consumes batteries relatively fast. Get yourself a maha battery charger and some rechargeable 9Vs and you'll be all set. I couldn't justify shelling out that much coin for the power supply.

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of getting this amp and using it as a portable. I'm also thinking about pairing it with the Apogee Duet which would be used as the DAC. Anyone own it or have experience with it? Any thoughts about this configuration? Thanks.

I owned the XP-7 for several years and it's a great amp. I would agree with the term transportable but not portable.

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 18
Got mine from Musicmaker a few weeks ago and I'm enjoying it immensely, sounds marvelous with Grado SR225's. Haven't taken it out for a walk yet but I probably will soon. I have a Hornet or a Go-Vibe 7 to choose from so the size of the XP-7 makes a difference when considering what I want to lug around. Regardless, with the LT1028 op-amp I consider it, along with the Hornet, an "I'll never sell it aquisition" with it's beautiful clean, rich sound. Hey, ya can't go wrong with an RSA amp or so I've found and this one is multifaceted so....Btw, there's one on the amp sales forum right now at a great price from a veteran head-fier so those who are experiencing regrets, lol, or just want one for your collection, go for it..

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IGet yourself a maha battery charger and some rechargeable 9Vs and you'll be all set.

Does anyone know if these 9.6V NiMH batteries are okay to use with the XP-7? It seems that MAHA/POWEREX only sell the chargers bundled as kits with 9.6V batteries as opposed to 9V.

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 18
Yes the 9.6v batteries are fine.

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes the 9.6v batteries are fine.

Thanks, that helps.

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 18
you may be suprised with the apogee headphone out, it is quite good and I'm not sure that the xp-7 will yeild enough of an improvement to be worth the cost. If you do get one try listening to both to see if you see enough of an improvement to support the added component and cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back