Anyone got a Little Dot Dac_II?
Apr 8, 2010 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

GreyArea

100+ Head-Fier
OK, about to pull the trigger on this.

Thought i'd have a last effort to try and get some opinions before I email David.
I know a few of you own one.

I'm thinking of using the unit whilst I save up for a Little Dot Tube Head or the SS MkV. I know the DAC unit is identiacal to the LD DAC_I.

BTW, I'll be running through Ultrasone pro750s or Senn HD 600s and sourcing from my PC through USB. I'll also use it as a DAC for my speaker setup.

There's nothing but pure rave on this thread (about DAC_I):
upcoming-little-dot-dac

So, anyone care to review it or pass comment?

Alternatively, you can gang up and persuade me to buy it and review it in this thread
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 6
OK, for some reason, when I searched earlier and yesterday for Little Dot Dac II, nothing came up.
But at the bottom of my screen now there are links to three threads that have already answered my questions.

Here they are for future reference.
A
B
C

I think I've just successfully slotted into the Forum-Noob-Stereotype. Someone shoot me. (and delete this thread if you want)

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 6
Reviews for the Dac_II are a bit scarce around here... even the threads you link to are far from voluminous.

I had a Dac_II and sold it. I liked the sound, but I didn't like the form factor and the interface (backlit LCD and menu-driven selections). The amp was better than I expected, but I guess I still wouldn't call the unit a true DAC/amp hybrid. It's maybe two-thirds DAC and one-third amp, IMO. Grado RS-1s sounded OK, HD650s sounded flaccid, K702 sounded crisp, detailed and 100% bass-free.

If you like the way it looks and feels, it's a good choice for someone who either wants just a DAC or needs a passable amp for a little while before upgrading.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 6
I have a DAC I and like it a lot. I am a bit leery of the DAC II because I worry that the Amp part is not as good as a stand alone amp. I would consider the DAC I with a cheap amp, and then upgrade the amp later.

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #5 of 6
I might do that then. Get the DAC_I with a different SS amp. Something cheaper than the mkV.
Once again, Head-Fi comes to my rescue. Big up.

I'm going to go and search for good cheap SS HAs. This time I'll search harder before posting.

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 6
The DAC I also has balanced outputs, which I doubt you will use, but it offers more room to upgrade later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back