Anyone getting the new Monkey Island and the remasters?
Jul 8, 2009 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

bonkon

100+ Head-Fier
Point & click and the 90's, those were the days. I loved the humour, I loved getting stuck for weeks, I loved scanning each pixel with the mouse and trying every possible combination for each item, I loved not having solutions easily available on the web, I even enjoyed typing in the password using the turning disc everytime I launched the game.

Actually I bought the game with 2 of my friends and shared it between us. We used the photocopy machine in my dad's office to copy all the possible combination for the passwords, it took us at least an hour and hundreds of pages. No DRM or copyright protection in those days, only pain in the ass manual passwords.

So a new adventure in 3d is coming out followed by a remastered version of the original adventure. I will try the demo later tonight and am not planning to get the remastered version since I finished the game countless of times and still remember all the solution. I just hope they will not screw it like the Leisure Suit Larry new series, the other iconic point and click from the past.

Edit: Here is the deal, the new Monkey Island is divided in 5 episodes and the first one available today. For the one-time purchase price of $34.95, you get all five of the episodes delivered monthly as they are released. You will have the entire adventure by the 5th month, its kinda weird. You can get it from telltalegames.com

Jul 8, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 47
Thanks for posting this! I will definitely be getting this. I loved Monkey Island. One of the best games ever made. Where and when will this be available?

Edit: I just played the swordplay game on lucas arts. And I still know all the answers.

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for posting this! I will definitely be getting this. I loved Monkey Island. One of the best games ever made. Where and when will this be available?

Edit: I just played the swordplay game on lucas arts. And I still know all the answers.

Ha! Maybe they should re -do The Dig. That game really had potential- great voice cast, great music, animated (hand and CGI) cutscenes and great story. Bizarre puzzles - one required you to saw someone's hand off
eek.gif
with an alien animal's jawbone.

Also unique in that it was the first game I owned that required 16mb of ram.
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha! Maybe they should re -do The Dig. That game really had potential- great voice cast, great music, animated (hand and CGI) cutscenes and great story. Bizarre puzzles - one required you to saw someone's hand off
eek.gif
with an alien animal's jawbone.

Also unique in that it was the first game I owned that required 16mb of ram.
biggrin.gif

The Dig is one of the games which will be re-released. I've never found it as good as say Simon the sorcerer, Discworld or Monkey Island. See here.

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

The Dig is one of the games which will be re-released. I've never found it as good as say Simon the sorcerer, Discworld or Monkey Island. See here.

Nice!
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 47
I was sort of fan of Monkey Islands and Simon The Sorcerers, but I loved only to watch while my friends played and watch how the story progresses. Thats because I suck at them, as I get so easily frustrated when it comes to videogames. No patience in those. Perhaps now would be the time and try them again though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oooh, I'm a Threepwood fan, but I've sadly been unable to play anything for a long time, being a mac'er.

Scumm VM is available for Mac for as far as I know. I don't know whether the new release will be Windows only though. Probably will be...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was sort of fan of Monkey Islands and Simon The Sorcerers, but I loved only to watch while my friends played and watch how the story progresses. Thats because I suck at them, as I get so easily frustrated when it comes to videogames. No patience in those. Perhaps now would be the time and try them again though.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's part of the fun in them. The joy it gives when you finally get further again after such a long time of wandering round. I also noticed that these games got easier when my English improved. When I played these games as a kid my English wasn't all that great.

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 47
I've played through half of Broken Sword II on ScummVM on my mac, and it is a pretty flawless experience. Of course, the game itself is just perfect, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

I also have Curse of Monkey Island, but I only tried it out to see if it works, which it does.

The new one won't work on ScummVM, at least for the foreseeable future.

edit: though I might earn the wrath of point-and-click adventurers everywhere, I use a walkthrough if things get too frustrating, though I try to use them just for hints and not the whole solution
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Here is the deal, the new Monkey Island is divided in 5 episodes and the first one available today. For the one-time purchase price of $34.95, you get all five of the episodes delivered monthly as they are released. You will have the entire adventure by the 5th month, its kinda weird. You can get it from telltalegames.com

The swordplays are epic and I still remember the answers too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: though I might earn the wrath of point-and-click adventurers everywhere, I use a walkthrough if things get too frustrating, though I try to use them just for hints and not the whole solution
biggrin.gif

I know, playing these games in the internet age and checking a walkthrouh is so tempting. Before looking for a solution meant actually go out and probably buy a games magazine which is a major turn off. I had so much fun during summer holidays with these games, everyday my friends and I try to finish it. One was holding the mouse and everyone had their own theories on how to proceed.

I played almost all Lucas Art's point and click games as well as the Leisure Suit Larry series and several others. Still my favourite is Monkey Island 2, Lechuck's Revenge. Full Throttle was great too.

For all the point and click fans, the closest recent games to come close to the great games from the 90's are in my opinion "So Blonde" and "Runaway 2". Amazing graphics, loveable characters and excellent writing.

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #13 of 47
Nope. Wasn't a Monkey Island fan but love adventure games. Good to see some being redone but there are still way more ideas out there to enjoy. I like most of what Adventure Company puts out but am a true Myst fan at heart.

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #15 of 47
Finished the first episode of Telltale's Tales of the Monkey Island. Graphically it is underwhelming: compared to the Telltale's previous series, Wallace and Gromit, the game looks less detailed, less elaborate, but at the same time more resource-hungry. But then I was running it on a GeForce 7300, and I'm sure people with a reasonably recent graphics card should have a better experience.

The puzzles are, for the most part, excellent: some of the puzzles are quite complex, requiring multiple steps and inventory combination to solve, but none is brain-crushingly hard. There is no word-play puzzles though.

Humor-wise: amusing all along, but unfortunately not outrageously funny like Sam and Max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back