Anyone getting the new Monkey Island and the remasters?
Jul 9, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #16 of 47
Oooooooooooooh, so many good memories: Elaine, LeChuck, the spitting contest, the cannibals, the insults fights, the voodoo stuff and above all... the fantastic Caribbean music!!

Does anyone know where I could find something similar to Monkey Island 2's main music theme?

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #17 of 47
I'll definitely get it. Love the Monkey Island series so much. The Curse of Monkey Island is the best game I've ever played.

Sadly, there are not many 2D comic-like games like this around. Last games I played (Runaway 1 & 2) were fun but no way like Guybrush Threepwood. Siberia 1 & 2 are awesome but kind of boring.

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll definitely get it. Love the Monkey Island series so much. The Curse of Monkey Island is the best game I've ever played.

Sadly, there are not many 2D comic-like games like this around. Last games I played (Runaway 1 & 2) were fun but no way like Guybrush Threepwood. Siberia 1 & 2 are awesome but kind of boring.

You may take a look at A Vampyre Story: not everyone likes this game, and I think it is flawed and (for a full-priced title) far too short. But it wins in the artistic department, and every decently made 2D point-and-clicks deserves attention these days.

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #20 of 47
I may be the only one here, but I actually preferred Day of the Tentacle to Monkey Island.

My favourite adventure game of all time is LOOM. Anyone else remember this one? I remember being so impressed with the audio-based puzzles coming out of my brand new Soundblaster 16.

Oh, and I forgot to comment on the OP! Yes, I will be getting the "remastered" original when it releases on XBLA, but I'll wait for the fans' responses before I plug the coin into the new sequel. If you haven't seen it already, you really ought to check out the brilliant graphical overhaul the original classic is getting. Gorgeous, hand drawn, millions of colours, High-def... VGA eat your heart out!

[EDIT] Not the most compelling screen shot, but it's the best I can get while on the work PC: Redrawn Monkey Island

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #21 of 47
Just when I thought graphic adventure games were dead and buried, a new Monkey Island comes out!

I used to play Curse of Monkey Island with a friend, countless hours spent trying to solve the puzzles...awesome times.

Now if only they could resurrect Westwood Studios and make a new Legend of Kyrandia...
rolleyes.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may be the only one here, but I actually preferred Day of the Tentacle to Monkey Island.

I think it's on par with Monkey Island. Some of the time traveling puzzles in Dott were more ingenious. Monkey Island had a better story in my opinion.

Quote:

My favourite adventure game of all time is LOOM. Anyone else remember this one? I remember being so impressed with the audio-based puzzles coming out of my brand new Soundblaster 16.

I've played this again last week. On expert of course.
smile.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, considering the Commander Keen avatar!
biggrin.gif

I somehow tend to enjoy the older games much more than whatever is coming out these days. Games of the last few years tend to be more about the flashy graphics than about the story or the gameplay. The last game I thought was pretty good was Portal. I'll be checking out fallout and bioshock pretty soon since I've heard good things about those.

I somehow can't seem to find the time to play all these games though..
frown.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh Monkey Islands, I never did find out what to do with the rubber chicken?

You could use it on the cable to Hook Island.

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could use it on the cable to Hook Island.

Shame I don't have the Amiga 500 any more.. I was looking forward to Alan Wake hoping it's like monkey islands, but a new MI is even better. I agree with you the older games did seem better, but then again that could be because we were kids?

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #28 of 47
Yes, I think that we were younger and the relative newness of the media probably had us less critical (and more excited in general), but I have to say there is just something to be said about hand drawn graphics.

I make no claim that moving to polygonal rendering over sprites was in any way a bad thing, but it remains a rare thing to find true character in art direction since the 3D realm got tapped into. The style and freedom that sprite-based graphics could accommodate allowed for (great) games to go beyond their technical limitations and let the imagination fill in the rest. Right now, we're in that awkward middle point where we've tapped into something that is technically superior in every way, but isn't quite realistic enough to suspend disbelief, and too realistic to let the imagination fill in the gaps.

The games over the last 10 years that have impressed me the most, that have sucked me into their worlds the deepest, have almost always been those that took the road less traveled and ditched the rigidity of realism. Zelda: Wind Waker, Beyond Good & Evil, Skies of Arcadia, Fable (I & II), Ratchet & Clank... hell, even the god awful looking original Alone in the Dark left a deeper impression on me than ANY of the modern Survival Horror games, and that includes Dead Space and RE4. I don't think I need to remind you what that little low-rez haunt-fest looked like, but it was sure insane at the time!

835052_3cc82b37f2_l.jpg

Anyway, going longer here than I intended, but that's my take on it. Modern polygonal game design often looks too good to need to work for it, but not quite good enough to fully immerse. Soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back