Anyone getting the new Monkey Island and the remasters?
Jul 28, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #31 of 47
biggrin.gif

3763827319_fced5c15a0_o_d.jpg

The game is great! Can't believe I'll play this again after such a very long time when I was still using MS-DOS and was about 9 or 10 years old. Playing this almost makes me cry (!). So many memories and I still remember all the stuffs in the old game.

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #35 of 47
Just finished the special edition. It's nice to play that game again in proper resolution. It'll offer entertainment for the years to come and will run without DOSbox or Scumm VM for a change. I think it's well worth playing getting if you like these kind of games.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #37 of 47
I dont really like the updated graphics. First, the movement looks bit "unnatural" (dunno how to explain it. Pretty much like motion interpolated). Second, I dont like the way he looks. What is up with the buzzcut on the sides and long hair + pony tail on top? Looks like ugly wig and not very piratey, more like punk and totally out of the time Monkey Islands are based on. They should have kept the Monkey Island 3 look, thats the cartoon version of Guybrush everyone recognises and is familiar with.

Yes i'm nitpicking, but it really stands out in my eyes. Only backgrounds look very good, but otherwise I prefer the original monkey island ran through ScummVM emulator and HQ3x resize filter to smoothen out edges. I would lose the excellent sound acting though...

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #38 of 47
I'm having enough fun playing it, but I'm totally disappointed with the interface. On the 360, at least, you can simply hit the 'B' button on any usable object and it auto selects the correct action to take. Sure, you can just avoid using the 'B' button, but it also HIGHLIGHTS the appropriate action any time you roll over an object.

It's kind of killed a lot of the experience for me. I guess I'll wait a few years and play it in its original form (awesome that this was included in the game).

Something about the voice acting really kills the humour in the dialogue, too.

[EDIT] Maza, I'm right with you on the animation. Some things just don't look right. The best example I can think of is the good ol' used ship salesman. His flailing arms still look hilarious in original form, but the redrawn version looks... I don't know, just off.

Jul 30, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I just got it for the PC and honestly I'm a little disappointed its exactly the same story, I would of liked a completely new scenario... perhaps this is making way for a new one that they'll charge full price for, we'll see I guess.

It's a revamp of the original - the only difference is graphics, interface and voice acting. It's partly a marketing gimmick because yes, there is an original adventure for the series coming soon.

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a revamp of the original - the only difference is graphics, interface and voice acting. It's partly a marketing gimmick because yes, there is an original adventure for the series coming soon.

So they are making another, I figured as much! Did they really need to revamp the original to get people interested?

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont really like the updated graphics. First, the movement looks bit "unnatural" (dunno how to explain it. Pretty much like motion interpolated). Second, I dont like the way he looks. What is up with the buzzcut on the sides and long hair + pony tail on top? Looks like ugly wig and not very piratey, more like punk and totally out of the time Monkey Islands are based on. They should have kept the Monkey Island 3 look, thats the cartoon version of Guybrush everyone recognises and is familiar with.

Yes i'm nitpicking, but it really stands out in my eyes. Only backgrounds look very good, but otherwise I prefer the original monkey island ran through ScummVM emulator and HQ3x resize filter to smoothen out edges. I would lose the excellent sound acting though...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having enough fun playing it, but I'm totally disappointed with the interface. On the 360, at least, you can simply hit the 'B' button on any usable object and it auto selects the correct action to take. Sure, you can just avoid using the 'B' button, but it also HIGHLIGHTS the appropriate action any time you roll over an object.

It's kind of killed a lot of the experience for me. I guess I'll wait a few years and play it in its original form (awesome that this was included in the game).

Something about the voice acting really kills the humour in the dialogue, too.

[EDIT] Maza, I'm right with you on the animation. Some things just don't look right. The best example I can think of is the good ol' used ship salesman. His flailing arms still look hilarious in original form, but the redrawn version looks... I don't know, just off.

I think it's mainly the 3D characters on a 2D background. The backgrounds are really well done in my opinion. I think they should've gone with 2D characters. That would've probably solved much of it.

The interface is somewhat understandable and it did only show the most logical option for every object. It's making things a lot easier for consoles I guess. It also didn't show you what you had to do when you were under water - which took me at least an hour to figure out the first time.

The voice acting is put my off a few times as well, but I still think they did a pretty good job there. I didn't expect stan to talk the way he did either. I kinda expected him to talk a lot faster, which is what it would seem like when you look at him.

All in all I don't think they'll ever been able to recreate the feel the old version had, but that wasn't what I was expecting either. I've still enjoyed playing it though and that's what it's all about in the end. I'll leave it in my drawer for another 5 years or so and then I'll might play it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back