Anyone find DT990 Premium uncomfortable?
Aug 11, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 9
Hey Sinefine,

I would say not. Do you have a specific Ohm type? Because there is the 32, 250 and 600 Ohm range. I do own the DT 990 PRO and myself personally, the only dislike I have is that It has a coiled cable, causing it to be more bulky/heavier but more manageable for portable usage and the clamping pressure is higher than any other model... Well any of the PRO versions will have a higher clamping pressure because they are more suited towards studio use. Which a higher clamping force is great because it won't fall off of the persons head when moving around or shaking their head while mixing or listening to music. I cannot necessarily down rate the headphones because of that because the price was a steal, costing at $159 while any other model ranges between $230-$369... I even got a cheap Fiio E10 DAC/AMP added with the BD 990 PRO for the 250 OHM version and that was still cheaper than any other model by itself. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 9
I have 990 250ohms. They can get uncomfortable when you wear them for a very prolonged period of time (5hr +). If you are talking sonically, they can get a little bright and the highs might seem not as detailed as you want it to be. the 250ohms and the 600ohms (especially) require amplification. I have the following: zero dac -> little dot mkIII. The setup is perfect, the recessed middles are brought out, the highs are still bright but detailed, and the bass is quicker. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Has anyone experienced this?

Nope can't say I have and I have the 600ohm on right now. Could you mention where the comfort issue is coming from? I have read people that mention the headband or the clamp of the pros. Someone might be able to help you. I would say if you find them uncomfortable though you either need to tough it out and break them in or move on. No one should torture themselves with an uncomfortable headphone. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 9
Lol Halin. Exactly. Personally I do not have the $ currently to get the other versions. But I think If I break them in a bit longer, seeing as I have only owned these for 2 days, I think they will get better. I am going to stress test them each night, have some books in between them and see if the metal band starts to adjust so the pressure is not as high. Hopefully that will resolve my issue and I can game away. My last pair that I bought and had to return was the ATH-AD700. I thought they would of been good because I read some nice reviews but the ear cups were my only problem because they were so large that they caused jaw discomfort while using Mumble, Skype, etc... SO I returned them and got these instead. I am pretty happy with these so far, I just wish the clamping force wasnt as high and it was a straight cable... But its the way of the headphones so Ill see if they get better. And I agree, I cant stand a uncomfortable headphone. I think thats the biggest think I look at, because even if the audio clarity is marvelous, and the comfort is crap, Im not going to wear them. SO thats my biggest problem is finding a light and comfortable headphone.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 9
The book one is a good idea. I have done that in the past. The Brainwavz HM5 would not stretch what so ever, must be the strongest/non flexible steel ever created by a headphone company. It has work on my other pairs. The DT990pros being one of them. My DT990 600 just fit perfect out of the box. The pads will also break in as well as you use them they will soften. 

I understand the jaw issue. If it was a problem on AT's then stay far away from AKG K7xx they have the exact same problem. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 9
The setup is perfect, the recessed middles are brought out
12.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the advice Halin. I shall stay away then. I just am disappointed because they are almost perfect... And I am damn picky... That being one of the problems... Lol. But I find that I gain a crick in my neck from using these DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm... The headphones are relatively light, without cables, they weigh 0.6 lbs... But with the coiled cable, that probably bumps them up to a 1lb or so. I just almost find them annoying because if the coiled cable accidentally falls or go's over my desk, the weight is added to the headphones and adds pressure to my neck... I think the clamping issue and the pads should become even better with stress testing but the coiled cable is the only downfall that I see... Because its the only thing I cant change, mod, etc... I don't think anyway... If the clamping pressure lightens up, but the weight of the coiled cable continues to be a hassle, then I am going to go for the DT 770 Pro 880 ohm. I bought the Dt 990 Pro 250 ohm and Fiio e10 AMP/DAC for about $220... The 80 ohm 770 costs $230... So if thats the case and my neck will not appreciate these wonderful headphones then I am switching over for the 80 ohm, which will be capable of running of normally without a DAC/AMP and the cable is straight, causing it to be less bulky over all and less pressure on my neck... It sucks too because I know there are probably people who send things back to amazon a lot but I have only bought the ATH-AD700, returned them, then bought these, and it would suck to have to return another pair again! Just because of comfort.... And then Id have to return them and wait a day or 2 just to get the next pair... For myself, its really hard finding a very light yet comfortable pair... It sucks...

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 9
Wish I had a better answer for you. I would say look at the Philips X1, seems everyone and their dog is sidestepping from DT's to them. They might be out of your price range. 
Other then the HD5xx and HD6xx Sens. They don't have the bass impact of the Beyers though. You shouldn't have issues with your jaw line with them. Again you are stepping up in price, for the HD598 and HD600/650.
Also you could look at Fisher Audio FA011 they might work. 
Only other one I could suggest researching is Sony MDR-MA900. Again though I am not sure about bass impact on them.

These are open options. 

I have heard the DT770 are a great closed option. I was going to pick up a pair but then I got my MadDogs. Which I love for music and prefer now. For TV/Movie/Gaming they are just not where it's at for me.

For a cheap option you could always get a pair of CALs and some HM5 pads. Would be under 100 bucks. Super light, really comfortable, and slamming bass impact will work out of a iphone and should work awesome with your E10. They can be a little sweaty but as long as you don't plan on jogging in the near future they are a wonderful headphone for the noobie/beginner audiophile. (Meaning everyone should own one.IMO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back