Anyone ever tried to make a custom SA-5000 headband?
Jul 15, 2011 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

morph2k4

100+ Head-Fier
I just picked up a set of SA-5000s, and I'm not crazy about the oddball headband design.  The rubber edges of the headband stick out and dig into your head.  The only way to get a comfortable fit is to position the headband so only the center cloth part of the band contacts your head, which requires wearing it too far forward or too far back to be stable on your head.

I did however notice that the cups attach to the headband with a very modular mechanism.  A little box bolts onto the headband along a strip of flat metal.  It seems like any headband that terminated in an inch wide metal bar could have the existing adjustment mechanism bolted right onto it.  I'm tempted to try and retrofit an existing headband from another can, or make my own.  Anyone know if this has been done before, or have any suggestions?

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 5
Just make your own headband.

Some material, padding and some practice with manly sewing techniques will produce a headband that you will like.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 5
After doing some more investigating, I think the best course of action is to enhance the existing cloth portion of the headband.  I acquired some very comfortable memory foam, but its a bit ugly, and is currently just taped onto the existing cloth headband.  I'm tempted to rig up something more permanent, but I'm a little bit afraid of ruining the headband. 

Is there any way to acquire OEM replacement parts?  If I could buy another cloth headband piece, I'd feel a lot better about permanently modifying the stock one.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
After doing some more investigating, I think the best course of action is to enhance the existing cloth portion of the headband.  I acquired some very comfortable memory foam, but its a bit ugly, and is currently just taped onto the existing cloth headband.  I'm tempted to rig up something more permanent, but I'm a little bit afraid of ruining the headband. 

Is there any way to acquire OEM replacement parts?  If I could buy another cloth headband piece, I'd feel a lot better about permanently modifying the stock one.

You can call up Sony, but I can tell you it's way too expensive for a sheet headband. 

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
You can call up Sony, but I can tell you it's way too expensive for a sheet headband. 

Is that a guess, or have you actually inquired?

I suppose I could try to make the entire fabric portion of the headband from scratch.  I don't think I could recreate the rubber that fits onto the frame, but I could probably make something with snaps that would wrap around the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back