Anyone ever recabled a Sansui SS-100?
Aug 16, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #16 of 26
i've pondered the possibility of bowl-shaped pads for the T50.

Still basically flat in the center, but with dense foam under the padding at the circumference, to take some of the pressure off.

Aug 17, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sansui pads are essentially half centimeter thick round flat doughnuts that stick on via double sided sticky goo on one side.

Are the Denon's much the same idea?

I'm having my coffee while listening to Kate again, trying to relive last night's glory but my ear flaps are still a wee bit tender.
redface.gif

No, the Denons are more like rounded O2 pads which would give more comfort but might screw up the sound. Still, it'd screw it up a lot cheaper than real O2 pads would
tongue.gif

Aug 17, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #19 of 26
Well put, Smeggy my man. Team Cheap Bastards is nothing if not supportive of the cheaply screwn, if screwn it must be.

Ericj, are you possibly suggesting something conical, a kind of modified T20v1 flange/pad?

I was thinking something like the SE-700 pad. Or maybe even the typical cloth U70 pad with the PMB pleather flaked off, if lack of ventilation contributes to the discomfort problem.

Aug 17, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the Denons are more like rounded O2 pads which would give more comfort but might screw up the sound. Still, it'd screw it up a lot cheaper than real O2 pads would
tongue.gif

70-80$ isn't that bad for Mk1 pads but the AC2 price is just nuts.

Aug 17, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer
I was a neoprene donut...

Now that's a memoir I'd like to see someone write.

Speaking strictly for myself, sometimes my typos are more creative than I am.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer
I do think that the Mk1 SR-007 pads should work if I make them airtight due to the small internal volume.

I've never seen an 007 pad in the leather; what makes it unique? and does anyone make/use something similar? and if not, could a crafty person fab up an equivalent? Even $70 is too much for all but the most obsessively dedicated.

Aug 17, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that's a memoir I'd like to see someone write.

Speaking strictly for myself, sometimes my typos are more creative than I am.

Same here...

Quote:

I've never seen an 007 pad in the leather; what makes it unique? and does anyone make/use something similar? and if not, could a crafty person fab up an equivalent? Even $70 is too much for all but the most obsessively dedicated.

Small internal volume compared to the size and support they have. Something like it could certainly be made as it is just a two piece foam, circular with a small D-shape cut into it. On the bottom is very dense foam (about 5mm) and then on top of it is a much softer foam (about 18-20mm).

As for the obsessively dedicated... I just bought 6 sets for my stash...
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 17, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Well put, Smeggy my man. Team Cheap Bastards is nothing if not supportive of the cheaply screwn, if screwn it must be.

Ericj, are you possibly suggesting something conical, a kind of modified T20v1 flange/pad?

yeah, but possibly deeper dished

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #24 of 26
Thanks for the interesting comments on the earpads. My own feeling is not to mess with them as of yet.
The SS-100 delivers better bass than my ECR-500 electrets and avoids the wet cardboard thud to percussion that I find electrets can be prone to. In fact, the Sansui plugged into the Melos delivers some real dynamic slam if you can believe it.
Snare drums are tight and defined...finally!

I'd think it pretty hard to change earpads and not mess up this hard fought attribute. Even reducing the earpad pressure against one's head reduces bass amount and quality considerably.

Still no suggestions on who to send the Sansuis to for a decent recable job?

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #25 of 26
Anyone who does that sort of thing should be able to do a good job.

The only part they're likely to be concerned about is how big of a hole they have to push cable through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back