Anyone ever recabled a Sansui SS-100?
Aug 15, 2008 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

IceClass

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been rediscovering my Sansui SS-100s in tandem with my Melos SHA-1 and have been really enjoying the combination.

The Sansuis had been on the shelf for a while now only getting the odd whirl from time to time but plugging them into the Melos has been a real revelation and a lot of fun.

The Melos finally delivers the power these babies need in a package that sounds awesome. The Melos has really opened up the dynamics of the cans and they now really kick.

I had been toying with the idea of selling them on and putting the dough towards a new source.

After a late night of spine tingling listening, I've changed my mind.
I'm keeping them.

However, the headphone cable is kinked and beginning to fray a little in spots (not to mention short) and I'm thinking of having the SS-100 recabled.

Has anyone ever had this done and can report back with their impressions of the feasibility and results?

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 26
Wow, I'm not sure anyone has done a recable on these, or at most very few being rare as hens teeth an' all. As a guess it probably wouldn't be any more complicated than any other phone. Have you ventured inside with a screwdriver yet for a look? The only thing that might be an issue would be maybe needing aluminum solder?

I've never seen a set in the flesh so can't say anything with any level of certainty here but maybe someone else here might. I just don't want this thread to vanish just yet as they are an interesting piece of history.

Aug 15, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ventured inside with a screwdriver yet for a look?

Eeek!!...you are either callously mad or seriously overestimate my electronic DIY abilities which barely extend beyond screwing in replacement light bulbs.
ksc75smile.gif
wink_face.gif

I was hoping more for suggestions on where to send it and what kind of cable to add.
My own thoughts hadn't really evolved beyond cosmetics and cost.

Quote:

I just don't want this thread to vanish just yet as they are an interesting piece of history.

Sod history; the SS-100 is a very fine can with a unique sound signature that gets better and more pleasing the more I explore it's potential with a variety of amp options.
darthsmile.gif

It's potential was greatly and demonstrably enhanced when I tapped it to the Nak620 Speaker amp. The extra power really added some *oomph* and control to the bass and have added a degree of air to the highs and soundstage.

Plugging it into the Melos SHA-1 this past week has removed some of the roughness of the Nak620 and have removed the gravel from the mids whilst retaining the increased soundstage and bass control..
smily_headphones1.gif

I still think these cans have more potential in there to grow along with my system so have been convinced to hang on to them for the continuation of the journey.
I'm really enjoying them now and they can only get better as my rig components get upgraded (source next).

The cable isn't really that bad. It's a nice thin black cotton sleeved job but it's short and has a weird flex to it that gets it kinked and tangled often. That and it's beginning to fray.

It would be nice to be able to give the old girl a sleek new cable that hopefully sounds at least as good if not better whilst preserving the cosmetics and improving flex.

Thoughts and suggestions on cable and who to potentially send it to are sought and welcomed.
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 26
I imagine they're very capable of going great provided they're well fed. I know my little orthos love powerful amps. I don't know who does recables cheaply, hopefully one of the guys will help out and get them all new and sexy looking again. I'd think someone will offer just for the chance to listen to these beasties!

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 26
i don't have an ss-100 but i have a pair of ss-100 drivers and can tell you that once you take off the back grille you'll find a simple set of solder pads. very easy to work on.

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't have an ss-100 but i have a pair of ss-100 drivers and can tell you that once you take off the back grille you'll find a simple set of solder pads. very easy to work on.

Dude, I wouldn't trust myself to go near *your* cans with a hot soldering iron let alone mine!
ksc75smile.gif
redface.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 26
After an extended session on the Sansuis that lasted until 5am this morning, I can say the SS100s aren't the greatest comfort wise for prolonged sessions.
They clamp pretty tight and as for the sweaty pleather earpads...
redface.gif

But, oh that sound!
Kate Bush was in fine form last night-as was I.
atsmile.gif
I seem to have polished off the last of the Black Bush™.
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After an extended session on the Sansuis that lasted until 5am this morning, I can say the SS100s aren't the greatest comfort wise for prolonged sessions.
They clamp pretty tight and as for the sweaty pleather earpads...
redface.gif

Same for the T-50 v1, great sound but the comfort is severely lacking. They are the right size for a Stax Omega earpad transplant which, if successful, would step up the comfort quite a bit and increase the headstage.

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same for the T-50 v1, great sound but the comfort is severely lacking. They are the right size for a Stax Omega earpad transplant which, if successful, would step up the comfort quite a bit and increase the headstage.

Are you suggesting the stax earpads for the Sansui or the T-50?

BTW, I don't believe I have ever actually seen a T-50.

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Are you suggesting the stax earpads for the Sansui or the T-50?

BTW, I don't believe I have ever actually seen a T-50.

They should work for both as the SS-100 is a T-50/T-30 hybrid.

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 26
There's some on Ebay for a 007 series which I'm assuming is the same thing but at $130 with shipping....ouch!!

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

I think some Denon D2000 pads would probably do nicely.

The Sansui pads are essentially half centimeter thick round flat doughnuts that stick on via double sided sticky goo on one side.

Are the Denon's much the same idea?

I'm having my coffee while listening to Kate again, trying to relive last night's glory but my ear flaps are still a wee bit tender.
redface.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

There's some on Ebay for a 007 series which I'm assuming is the same thing but at $130 with shipping....ouch!!

They can be found for about 100$ but I never said it was cheap...
devil_face.gif
I was thinking something along the lines of SR-Omega earpads with some clever way of mounting them. I did try it by holding them in place by friction alone and it didn't sound terrible but one never really knows how planars react to the extra air volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back