Anyone ever heard the stax Srm-323s with the omega II ?
Feb 13, 2011 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Chefguru

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a budget electrostatic amp for the omega II, until I raise enough money to buy a blue hawaii or WES amp. It seems like the Stax Srm-323s might fit the bill just fine, but I'm wondering about if it's even a powerful enough amp to correctly drive it, get it to max volume kind, etc.

I searched around but there doesn't seem to be anything posted in regards to the srm-323 being used with the omega, only the 404/303/50x

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 11

Quote:
I'm looking for a budget electrostatic amp for the omega II, until I raise enough money to buy a blue hawaii or WES amp. It seems like the Stax Srm-323s might fit the bill just fine, but I'm wondering about if it's even a powerful enough amp to correctly drive it, get it to max volume kind, etc.

I searched around but there doesn't seem to be anything posted in regards to the srm-323 being used with the omega, only the 404/303/50x

Yes... "inquiring minds want to know..."

May 13, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:

I just spent a couple of hours listening to my SR-007 mk1 on the SRM-323S. I also own a KGSS, SRM-727A and SRM-007tA. I wasn't expecting much from the 323 with the O2, but I was pleasantly surprised. It drives them absolutely fine even at higher volume than the highest I normally listen to. I haven't found a weakness - highs and mids are fine, the bass is well-controlled and at the right amount, detail is fine, soundstage is fine.

In fact, the 323 sounds better wth the O2 than the 007t which suffers from overwhelming flabby bass, and also better than the 727 which also has an unnatural bass unless modded. The O2 sound very lively on the 323.

I haven't yet tried to compare directly to the KGSS, but I've been using the KGSS with my O2 for years, and right now I believe that the sound quality is pretty equivalent to the 323 which is not something that I expected. Maybe I'll notice something that differentiates them in a direct comparison.  

May 13, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 11
I think Spritzer has been recommending the 323S for the OII as well. 

May 13, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
I think Spritzer has been recommending the 323S for the OII as well. 

I've seen him (and also Gilmore) say that the 323S is good, but didn't notice anything specific about the pairing with the O2.

For a long time, I assumed that the 323 would be good with Lambdas, but would lack power for driving the O2 properly. Also, Stax doesn't list it as one of the recommended amps for the SR-007 or SR-009. Surprisingly, the 323 drives the SR-007 very well (better than the 007t and unmodded 727).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back