Anyone ever buy a live chicken for food?
Sep 23, 2009 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
There is this Vietamese market store not too far from where I live and they sell live chickens and the chickens look healthy and clean. They are not the over crowded industrial chickens which are common in America. And commonly, the industrial chickens are in nasty smelly horrible enviroments which are so bad that cameras are prohibited. However, these chickens at this market look good. Customers would pick a chicken and an employee will then slaughter it for you and the price is about $12 for a chicken over 5 pounds. It looks like a better quality chicken. Anyone here every buy a live chicken for food in these modern times?

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 59
Nothing wrong with that. I have not seen that. When I saw the post all I could picture was the chicken going into the car alive. A friend of mine saw a family taking a live pig home in their auto. He loves to tell that story!

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 59
As a child I remember my Grandma cutting a chicken's head, the seeing the chicken literally running around with its head cut off for a few minutes, followed by plucking and then chicken soup. Sounds gross but still better than what poultrys do.

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 59
Are freshly killed chickens a bloody mess? I want to buy one but if it's too bloody, it may be some work to clean which could prevent me from buying one. But then again, I could just rinse it easily under a sink.

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 59
It's bloody, but nothing that cleaning won't really take care of. In the Philippines, I watched my relatives butcher about 50 chickens or so for a party. It wasn't too bloody. Then they got some goats.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are freshly killed chickens a bloody mess? I want to buy one but if it's too bloody, it may be some work to clean which could prevent me from buying one. But then again, I could just rinse it easily under a sink.

Yes. Oh, yes. If you can have someone kill and clean it for you, the go for it. Fresh food is almost always better. Bit it is the very definition of a bloody mess. I used to shoot a lot of pheasants.

You most easily kill it by cutting off the head. This is just the start of the bloody mess. Make sure your knife is sharp.

Then you have to pluck off the feathers. Best way to do this is to dunk the chicken (hold onto the feet - no feathers there) into boiling water for a few seconds to warm up the skin so the quills will release more quickly. This is not bloody, but it is a mess.

Then you have to "gut" the chicken. So to do this you start by cutting the skin around the anus so as not to rupture the lower end of the intestinal tract and get chicken **** all over your dark meat. Cut up the front to the breast bone and then get your hands in there and pull out the innards. This is the biggest part of the bloody mess. Do this on the day they collect your garbage. Because if you throw bird guts in your trash and leave it overnight it will probably make your eyes water by morning.

Now you can rinse it under the sink to finish cleaning out the carcass.

But the nice butcher can do this for you for $12 a bird? Go for it.

I think if you're eating chicken you owe it to yourself to know it was slaughtered in a clean environment. Commercial chicken farms are pretty wild places.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
think this way : men work out in gym in order to become muscular, chickens run around so they can be healthy and tasty

...or dry and tough, food shouldnt be muscular. Well atleast tasty food

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #15 of 59
A fresh killed chicken is worth the effort, tender and clean. We raised chickens and rabbits to help with the expenses in our foster home. I didn't mind wringing a chicken neck, thumpin the rabbits was harder to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back