Anyone else tired of 'typical' headphone recommendation requests ?
Apr 30, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #106 of 147
This thread is silly if you really step back and think about.....

I have a few thought I would like to add. If you don't like the typical recommendation threads then don't look at them. Feel free not to click on them... I know I am new to this forum but come on. Why let it get to you? People are just trying to make the right choice. Yes they could search first, but is it really that big of a deal? Instead of complaining why don't you do something to help? If someone would update the Headphone buying guide then maybe a lot less people would post threads like that. I know when I started on here that was one of the first threads I read but I saw it hasn't been updated in a long time. Again I feel like the most important point is it's our choice to ignore them. Does it really inconvenience your experience on here?

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #107 of 147
You're missing the point here. The "problem" here is that the integrity of the forum is going down just because there are so many of these same threads getting started asking the same questions over and over again. Another "problem" is the quality of the replies which contains a lot of "From what I've read" or "I heard this is great" which translates to "I've never heard of it".

From what I can tell, many starters of these threads didn't even take any time to do their research.

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #108 of 147
HD_Dude,

Folks have expressed their opinions not as whining or complaining but by pointing out frustrations and offering possible solutions we (all of us, not newbies or veterans) can try. Some may work. Some may not, but why do you keep positioning yourself as some kind of victim when it's not true? No one has attacked or disparaged you, or newbies...just asking for common sense posting responsibilities from all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very elitist, very condescending, and somewhat mean. '...we don't do anything to discourage this sort of behavior....' ? Jeez, what are we doing? Stealing your hubcaps?

Quote:

But in the spirit of fairness, this thread too, is just a repeat of many, many similar complaint threads, in which the 1000+ folks scowl at the newbies.

Quote:

Don't let this be a place run by the old-timers. Who scowl at new members...call them names...and ridicule them.

Quote:

and it would also give the newbies a chance to ask questions without being smacked.

Of course, it would not address the belief among some here...that all members should thoroughly research any question before asking it...leaving the process of asking questions here a last resort.

Quote:

Rules are far superior to whining, or complaining, or criticizing members for behavior that they never knew was 'wrong' in the first place.

Condescending, elitist, mean, scowling, name calling, smacking, ridiculing, whining, complaining, and critizing.....hmmmm. Really? Why not look at the posting histories (not just this thread) of those whom you have rather neatly vilified; your words are not only attacking, but highly inaccurate, minus occasional criticizing. The irony is that not one of us would ever treat a new member in any way as disrespectful as you feel free to treat people now. If you ever wonder why some people just stop trying, move on, or get frustrated and occasionally vent.....you've made it clear.

I'm outta this thread.

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #109 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The following is probably not practical, but:
1. Newbies should have a PM sent with boomana's sticky. They should have to acknowledge that they have read it, reply accordingly before they are allowed to post.
2. Newbies should have access to all the search features our site provides.
3. Newbies should not be allowed to start a new thread (if our software allows) until they have 50 posts. This applies to all forums, not just the for sale forum. Let them read and begin to participate showing an interest in our community. This allows them an opportunity to learn, to see the "proper" way to post threads and to respond to questions.

If we adopt suggestions 1 - 3 then there will be several newbies that never make it to 50 posts and we will eliminate most of the same old tired "can you help me pick a headphone" thread. This is not to discourage membership, but it is an effort for an informed and active community.

4. My impractical suggestion, but one I think is worthwhile. Junior head-fiers (51-100 posts) should be allowed to fully parcipate...but each would be assigned a mentor to help them. I'm a little fuzzy here but anyone who has been here for 1 year or longer should be able to help most newer members find information or ask questions to help guide them in putting their system together. The mentor would not be expected to have all the answers.

Why is post count correlated to "noobness"? Yes, I have a personal stake in this. As a professional lurker here and elsewhere, I think I've picked up a lot of information without posting much or at all. What about people who have a lot of audio experience from other forums, and then come over to Head-fi?

More importantly, people with high post counts are also contributing to these problems, especially with shilling and recommending (or slamming) gear without experience.

I think the way to address this is on a personal level, replying to posters. Maybe it has to be a little harsh (or not, who knows) but its better in the long run.

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #110 of 147
So we make a thread to complain about it? Like I said why don't the more experienced posts get together and help update the headphone buyers guide? Or maybe we could even do a series of polls for instance "Vote on your favorite open headphone under 100$" We could make several of these, and over time as a community we could essentially make a one stop recommendation thread....

All I am trying to say is instead of complaining lets all think of a way to help out
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #111 of 147
Quote:

From what I can tell, many starters of these threads didn't even take any time to do their research.

You will never be able to force people to read Signatures and to be intuitive. Some people will weed out the proper info and some wont, thats just the way it is.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #112 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So we make a thread to complain about it? Like I said why don't the more experienced posts get together and help update the headphone buyers guide? Or maybe we could even do a series of polls for instance "Vote on your favorite open headphone under 100$" We could make several of these, and over time as a community we could essentially make a one stop recommendation thread....

All I am trying to say is instead of complaining lets all think of a way to help out
biggrin.gif

If you read through the thread, you would know that we weren't complaining. We're actually discussing the cause, effect, and solutions.

As for a buyers guide, and a vote, it's just not feasible as audio is really a subjective matter. One man's trash is another man's gold. Polls on head-fi often turns into a popularity contest. Moreover, people often vote for cans they WANT to have rather the ones they have experience with.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #113 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will never be able to force people to read Signatures and to be intuitive. Some people will weed out the proper info and some wont, thats just the way it is.

That's exactly why we have so many of the same "recommendation threads". There was a time when I looked in head-fi and I saw two recommendation threads asking the exact same thing! It was something along the lines of "I want the bassiest can ever.".

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #114 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's exactly why we have so many of the same "recommendation threads". There was a time when I looked in head-fi and I saw two recommendation threads asking the exact same thing! It was something along the lines of "I want the bassiest can ever.".

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to flame you on but I don't really see the problem with that. The only factor I can see making that a problem is Jude running out of drive space at the host. I get tired of repetitious stuff too but at the same time I have taken a lot from this place so I make myself help out new comers when I feel like I can add something of value. If said newbie is a dud then I move on.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #115 of 147
Quote:

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to flame you on but I don't really see the problem with that. The only factor I can see making that a problem is Jude running out of drive space at the host. I get tired of repetitious stuff too but at the same time I have taken a lot from this place so I make myself help out new comers when I feel like I can add something of value. If said newbie is a dud then I move on.

No offence taken as I was only explaining my thoughts.
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #116 of 147
Quote:

Every time someone has said something similar to this, I've gotten frustrated and wanted to reply with something along the lines of "why don't you get it".

But thinking about it more, I don't think the questions themselves are at fault, necessarily. Yeah, they can be annoying, but its not what's dragging down the forum.

The way people respond to questions, doling out bad advice without listening to what they've recommended, passing on misconceptions until they become "truth" because so many people have said the same thing, jumping on FOTM bandwagons and shilling products to get attention and postcount, this is what's really polluting things. Perhaps discussion should be redirected along this path.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #117 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you read through the thread, you would know that we weren't complaining. We're actually discussing the cause, effect, and solutions.

As for a buyers guide, and a vote, it's just not feasible as audio is really a subjective matter. One man's trash is another man's gold. Polls on head-fi often turns into a popularity contest. Moreover, people often vote for cans they WANT to have rather the ones they have experience with.

Ok then what is your idea then? I think if we just made the information easier to find then it would cut down on the recommendation threads.

Another thought- Why don't we make a recommendation section all by itself? Seems like everyone is happy then. People can go in and help when they want. Noobs can post away all they want. And the main forums will clean up. I am a member on a forum called absolutepunk.net and they have done this exact thing called "music recommendations" and it works really well.

I am sorry if this idea has already been brought up.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #118 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by shirtaspants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every time someone has said something similar to this, I've gotten frustrated and wanted to reply with something along the lines of "why don't you get it".

But thinking about it more, I don't think the questions themselves are at fault, necessarily. Yeah, they can be annoying, but its not what's dragging down the forum.

The way people respond to questions, doling out bad advice without listening to what they've recommended, passing on misconceptions until they become "truth" because so many people have said the same thing, jumping on FOTM bandwagons and shilling products to get attention and postcount, this is what's really polluting things. Perhaps discussion should be redirected along this path.

I see what your saying... but I don't really see how to fix that. Maybe my idea above with a disclaimer sticky at the top of the "recommendations section"

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #119 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok then what is your idea then? I think if we just made the information easier to find then it would cut down on the recommendation threads.

Another thought- Why don't we make a recommendation section all by itself? Seems like everyone is happy then. People can go in and help when they want. Noobs can post away all they want. And the main forums will clean up. I am a member on a forum called absolutepunk.net and they have done this exact thing called "music recommendations" and it works really well.

I am sorry if this idea has already been brought up.

No need to apologize, that idea will work well until you realize the problem of recommending gears while having no experience with them would still exist.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #120 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm outta this thread.

I'm sorry you've left. But I stand by everything I've written.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back