Anyone else tired of 'typical' headphone recommendation requests ?
Apr 30, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #136 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Degenerating a thread is posting with just jokes and no content. You've done just that. Shush.

Meh, it's a matter of opinion. It's all in good fun.
rolleyes.gif

May 1, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #137 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This really shouldn't be so difficult to explain.

I think most people understand what you're getting at. Just don't expect everyone to agree with you. I think you make some valid points--but also believe you are wrong-headed on others. Such is life, and I truly dread the day when everyone agrees with me (though I think there is little risk of that happening
smile.gif
).

Quote:

So, why then does it not make sense to make sure that their contribution, as well as the contribution of existing members, is not destructive to the quality of content on the boards, and the attitude and integrity of the community?

In principle it makes perfectly good sense. But the devil is in the details. What is good for catscratch is not necessarily what is good everyone else. Not everyone is here for the same reason and they don't always share the same values. Within the framework of the rules of this place, people will experience the forum and participate here on their own terms. That is just how it is...at Head-Fi and elsewhere. Not everyone will like that. Some will disagree I am sure. But there is overwhelming evidence from the online experience on other forums on a fast growth curve that proves this to be true. Head-Fi is going mainstream, and that is going to produce a large influx of new members. Some will contribute content and others will contribute noise. I wonder how many new registrations occur here on daily basis, and would be interested to know how that compares year-over-year since Head-Fi's inception. If I had to guess, it would be that a sharp ramp upwards in registrations was hit about two or three years ago. But I don't know that for sure.

Quote:

But there's only so much I can take and if this goes on long enough I will leave. Many, many people who have made this community what it is have done so already, and this may be a natural progression of events but you cannot argue that it hasn't done damage to the community, especially if you weren't there to witness the process firsthand.

Threats to leave seldom engender sympathy nor are they likely to bring about the kind of change you are hoping for. Yes, it sounds cold hearted. But I have already done the kind of soul-searching you seem to be doing now when I left a forum that I cherished deeply for seven years of my life. And I said many of things then that you have been saying here. I have even complained once to Jude about some of the issues you are raising here and I really regret doing that.

After some further reflection on my experience I have concluded that if I cannot enjoy the time I spend here or at any other forum then it is probably time to take a break or simply move on. I know when I left that forum I threatened to leave a few times -- and in retrospect I think I was hoping for people to talk me out of it and give me a good reason to stay. Several people even sent me PMs asking me not to go. In the end though it just wasn't enough. The time I was putting into the place was not fullfilling, and no amount of cajoling was going to convince other members to raise the level and quality of their participation. I was even chastised by a moderator for starting a thread much like this one. I haven't posted there since, and while I still occasionally chat with a few friends I made there -- no one other than them has really even noticed that I left.

It is clear to me that you feel my pointing these things out is not helping. So be it. We will have to agree to disagree on these points, and I will leave you to your campaign for change. I wish you well.

--Jerome

May 1, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #138 of 147
This thread has been good, in that it explored the great divide between newbies and the 1000+ group.

But it's also been kind of tough! Mea culpa!

But I really, really do appreciate the help I've gotten here. And I want to say thanks.

So, I'm doing it...here.

And, like a great big crazy family...you gotta love this place!

May 1, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #139 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Fi is going mainstream, and that is going to produce a large influx of new members. Some will contribute content and others will contribute noise. I wonder how many new registrations occur here on daily basis, and would be interested to know how that compares year-over-year since Head-Fi's inception. If I had to guess, it would be that a sharp ramp upwards in registrations was hit about two or three years ago. But I don't know that for sure.

Head-fi has already gone mainstream, that happened around 2006, and there was a very sharp influx of new members, many of which brought a lazy, destructive, mainstream attitude with them. I don't think head-fi is at the "going mainstream" stage but an entrenched, mainstream forum already and may be heading into the tail end of a forum's lifespan, in which the noise drowns out the signal and the community simply stops bothering with using resources, organizing events, and so on, mostly from the people that are prone to do that sort of thing being driven out.

Quote:

Threats to leave seldom engender sympathy nor are they likely to bring about the kind of change you are hoping for. Yes, it sounds cold hearted. But I have already done the kind of soul-searching you seem to be doing now when I left a forum that I cherished deeply for seven years of my life. And I said many of things then that you have been saying here. I have even complained once to Jude about some of the issues you are raising here and I really regret doing that.

I'm not threatening to leave because I don't matter on this forum. I rant about expert members and people that helped to build the community, but I wasn't one of them and I wasn't that important at any point in time. I was simply here to witness these events. So me leaving is more an indication of my own frustration and head-fi won't feel damn thing. I didn't even post very much over the last two years except in sporadic bursts because there was too much to deal with. But it is an example, I think, of what a lot of far more important people felt and why they left.

I don't think that the state of the forum is my own problem. When the state of the forum begins to engender a disrespectful and fraudulent attitude from manufacturers, then it begins to be everybody's problem, even people that aren't a part of the forum. Therefore it isn't in only my interest to make the forum into a better place but in everyone else's interests as well. In fact, it is more of a problem for others than for me because I already pretty much sorted out my system or at least the direction in which that system should be going, and others are now left with buying what's on the market, a lot of which isn't as good as what has been on the market before. And, they also have to sort through a lot of misinformation which has become accepted as gospel truth and will be misled in their purchasing decisions.

Anyway, I understand your points, but... I think that it's not the way to go.

May 1, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #140 of 147
Another idea would be to create a new sets of forums that only allow people with a certain number post counts (ie. 250/500/1000) to create threads. Everyone else below that threshold can only comment.

May 1, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #141 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh, it's a matter of opinion. It's all in good fun.
rolleyes.gif

The matter of opinion is a much harder task to tackle in a society. Given right to freedom of speech, people don't quite understand that being heard is not a right.

May 1, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #143 of 147
I personally am finding this thread to be quite interesting i dont know how much knowledge the main posters have. But i think it is very interesting to hear their points of view.

Even being here for a couple of months and not having too many posts i can admit to there being so many repetitive threads...but at the same time i cant condemn them...because i was in that position not too long ago.

However one thing i do wish is that more emphasis is made on not posting about equipment that one has not heard. I have been guilty of doing it but then i realized it was not a smart thing to do. But i get the sense that the people that do this kind of person is that is with good intentions of helping others find the audio that meets there needs.

May 1, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #144 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenneth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another idea would be to create a new sets of forums that only allow people with a certain number post counts (ie. 250/500/1000) to create threads. Everyone else below that threshold can only comment.

That's a good idea. Or, have an editorial board screen new posters. Actually, I wouldn't mind being such an editor.

That said, being a 1000+ poster is not always a guarantee that all subsequent posts will be responsible or useful ones, or even that the 999 prior were. Sometimes, passing the "magic" 1000-post mark is interpreted as having been given license and immunity; then the threads lapse into a sort of good ol' boy exclusivity and arrogancy.

I'm more concerned about foul language, sexually explicit avatars and the like. There will always be newbie-ness here. My approach has been to extend welcome, respond cogently and try to set a good example. I'm not always successful, either.

Lastly, each of us needs to remember his or her own Head-Fi "roots," and admit that we've "been there" too.

May 1, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #145 of 147
Can you imagine feeling the same benevolence 1 year from now?...2 years?..perhaps. Even in parenting we forget what it was like before we could walk etc.

I have never let anyone select my equipment for me. They are not paying for it...so they shouldn't have the important voice. I have concluded all the research on my own for said purchases.

And the conclusions of those purchases sometimes didn't meet my expectations, but they weren't mistakes persay..they were learning experiences. We have had people starting threads stating they want members to "make my next decision for me". HOW WACKO IS THAT?

My post count is low because..unless I LIVE with equipment, (not spend two minutes at a meet) I don't want to make the uninformed comment. NEVER offer an opinion, no matter how well intentioned, unless you can vouch for the performance character (as opinion) with your associated equipment and/or the potential for reliability (important as performance for me). Just some further thoughts...AND as always for every post or thread....it's just my opinion (something people seem to forget). That should be implied for every thing that is read, from anyone, at anytime.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally am finding this thread to be quite interesting i dont know how much knowledge the main posters have. But i think it is very interesting to hear their points of view.

Even being here for a couple of months and not having too many posts i can admit to there being so many repetitive threads...but at the same time i cant condemn them...because i was in that position not too long ago.

However one thing i do wish is that more emphasis is made on not posting about equipment that one has not heard. I have been guilty of doing it but then i realized it was not a smart thing to do. But i get the sense that the people that do this kind of person is that is with good intentions of helping others find the audio that meets there needs.

May 2, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #146 of 147
I think i agree with your stand on this issue. But at the same time i think that impressions can be helpful but only when they are stated as impressions.

Also i think that is up to people asking question to assume full responsibility for their purchases. It makes no sense that something as subjective as sound could ever be described accurately by someone elses words. Looking back since i joined head fi i have spent circa 700 dollars on my setup i am sure now that i could have probably made better choices. But what is done is done and i am happy with the setup i have and will look to expanding it slowly over time.

I think it is good that you are not in a post count race, but actually post to help others when you are in a good postion too. I think that people like you are the ones i would like to get advice from before i make my next purchase

May 2, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #147 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think i agree with your stand on this issue. But at the same time i think that impressions can be helpful but only when they are stated as impressions.

Also i think that is up to people asking question to assume full responsibility for their purchases. It makes no sense that something as subjective as sound could ever be described accurately by someone elses words. Looking back since i joined head fi i have spent circa 700 dollars on my setup i am sure now that i could have probably made better choices. But what is done is done and i am happy with the setup i have and will look to expanding it slowly over time.

I think it is good that you are not in a post count race, but actually post to help others when you are in a good postion too. I think that people like you are the ones i would like to get advice from before i make my next purchase

There you go...don't worry about the equipment race stay focused on sound. When you reach a sound that meets your needs then let the Music take over and finish the race. You'll stay a little richer and less frustrated in the long term!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back