Anyone else into emo??
Aug 1, 2005 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Otaku11

Head-Fier
Hey, I was checking this out and there were no emo bands, so does anyone like emo? I did a search and I saw a thread that they pretty much trashed emo in. So yeah, ANSWER THE QUESTION!!

Aug 1, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 46
For me, it really depends on how "emo" is defined. I don't pursue it as a genre, but I suppose that a few bands I like could be defined as emo. I hesitate because I can't stand the emo culture.

Aug 1, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otaku11
Hey, I was checking this out and there were no emo bands, so does anyone like emo? I did a search and I saw a thread that they pretty much trashed emo in. So yeah, ANSWER THE QUESTION!!

A lot of those bands kind of sound the same to me, so I'm not really a huge fan of the "genre" so to speak, but there are some great albums (ones that I own):

Rites of Spring - End on End
Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy
Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary
Jimmy Eat World - Clarity
Jets to Brazil - Orange Rhyming Dictionary
Braid - Frame and Canvas
Get Up Kids - Something to Write Home About
Hey Mercedes - Everynight Fire Works
Texas is the Reason - Do you Know Who You Are?
Thursday - Full Collapse
Saves the Day - Stay What you Are

Other albums that some people call "seminal" that I don't have (yet):

The Promise Ring - 30 Degrees Everywhere
Mineral - The Power of Failing
Jawbreaker - Dear You

I'm too old for the "emo culture" so for me it's just about crunchy pop songs, really, some of these guys write some pretty cool lyrics (esp. Blake from Jawbreaker/Jets to Brazil), for others, I dunno, for me it's more interesting than a lot of the other popular music out there, and it does have its roots in some pretty good music, like old Fugazi, Husker Du and Jawbox.. there is some connect there, but a lot of it is just plain sound-alike sappy crap, for example, Dashboard Confessional sounds like an overboard stereotype of emo that I just can't take them serioiusly. But again, you could probably say the same thing about Saves the Day...

-jar

Aug 1, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
A lot of those bands kind of sound the same to me, so I'm not really a huge fan of the "genre" so to speak, but there are some great albums (ones that I own):

Rites of Spring - End on End
Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy
Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary
Jimmy Eat World - Clarity
Jets to Brazil - Orange Rhyming Dictionary
Braid - Frame and Canvas
Get Up Kids - Something to Write Home About
Hey Mercedes - Everynight Fire Works
Texas is the Reason - Do you Know Who You Are?
Thursday - Full Collapse
Saves the Day - Stay What you Are

Other albums that some people call "seminal" that I don't have (yet):

The Promise Ring - 30 Degrees Everywhere
Mineral - The Power of Failing
Jawbreaker - Dear You

I'm too old for the "emo culture" so for me it's just about crunchy pop songs, really, some of these guys write some pretty cool lyrics (esp. Blake from Jawbreaker/Jets to Brazil), for others, I dunno, for me it's more interesting than a lot of the other popular music out there, and it does have its roots in some pretty good music, like old Fugazi, Husker Du and Jawbox.. there is some connect there, but a lot of it is just plain sound-alike sappy crap, for example, Dashboard Confessional sounds like an overboard stereotype of emo that I just can't take them serioiusly. But again, you could probably say the same thing about Saves the Day...

-jar

All of the bands I made bold are ones I like!

Aug 2, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 46
My take on "emo" music is that it is essentially a 21st century version of blues music like Muddy Waters and Hound Dog Taylor, but with voices of opposite characteristics and containing a lack of instrumental virtuosity.

In other words, I have not heard one emo band out there that I have found to be that great. Fallout Boy is a group that comes to mind immediately that I would classify as "emo" -- and no, I am not a fan. Same goes to Good Charlotte.

I really don't consider "emo" a genre of music, but instead a classification of bands that contain the following characteristics:

-Bad (to me) clothing and hair styles
-Not very authentic in their actions
-Very whiny lyrics with forced rhyme schemes
-Very whiny vocals with forced emotion
-Write songs that are most popular amongst 14-17 year old boys and girls

Hey, these are all generalizations. There may in fact be a good emo group, but in my searches I have yet to come across one.

Aug 2, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 46
I really like Jimmy Eat World...haven't heard other emo though.

Aug 2, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 46
Personally, my take on Emo is that all the great ones really cannot be defined in to be in that genre. Some albums that come to mind are:

- American Football (Self-Titled)
- Jimmy Eat World (Clarity)
- Copeland (Beneath Medicine Tree)
- Owen (I Do Perceive)
- Mae (Destination: Beautiful)
- Northstar (Is This Thing Loaded?)
- Appleseed
- Death Cab for Cutie (Transatlanticism): This could be labeled more Indie.

Exclude all the Pop/MTV Garbage and mainstream "Emo" bands. A lot are in it for the attention/recognition/making money and don't the genre any justice. There are a few who manage to keep it real even after they climb to the top but those gems are few and far between.

Aug 2, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 46
Nearly all the bands mentioned here would not fall under the correct genre definiton of emo. Most bands mentioned in this thread so far would fall under pop rock if anything else. Now not to go into some long ardurous spiel but emo as a genre is based in hardcore from the mid eighties. Then just like any other genre there were about two or three different waves of it that slowly went away from the 'true' emo sound. Nowadays emo is a catch phrase a mere word used to sell and label bands that sound nothing like it. When it comes down to it, it became cooler to be labeled emo than pop rock which is what most so called emo bands are. And about the label 'emo', to say that is a stupid term for a genre just because it somehow means that all other music is not emotional is ridiculous. Not only 'punk' music is 'punk' and yet people still continue to accept that as a genre. Thats my short take on it. I like many of the bands listed in this thread but they are not emo except a few that masonjar listed.

Aug 2, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
My take on "emo" music is that it is essentially a 21st century version of blues music like Muddy Waters and Hound Dog Taylor, but with voices of opposite characteristics and containing a lack of instrumental virtuosity.

The most obvious difference is that blues artists like Muddy Waters and Hound Dog Taylor actually endured real hardship, they weren't just middle class kids with a mopey attitude.

Emos are like the new equivalent of goths. I like goths a lot better. They're funny and cartoony, just like circus clowns. Clowns are happy all the time and have fun. Goths are depressed and complain about their suffering. Clowns wear brightly colored clothing. Goths wear black. They both wear whiteface though! Goths are like clowns with a hangover.

See ya
Steve

Aug 2, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
i like Thursday, Jimmy eat world gets downright idiotic at times - but they have a few good songs

jimmy eat world is emo? i remember that "in the middle" song from...2001? didn't think it was all that special, i remember lumping it in with 3 doors down, third eye blind. whatever band rob thomas was with (how sad is that i don't even remember the name of the band, it's that generic) and so on.

man i'm out of it. i was listening to Emo and not even knowing it.

Aug 2, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
jimmy eat world is emo? i remember that "in the middle" song from...2001? didn't think it was all that special, i remember lumping it in with 3 doors down, third eye blind. whatever band rob thomas was with (how sad is that i don't even remember the name of the band, it's that generic) and so on.

man i'm out of it. i was listening to Emo and not even knowing it.

No, you're right. That Jimmy Eat World is not emo. But some of their earlier work like selections from 1996's Static Prevails and to a lesser extent 1999's Clarity was considered emo. I know this because I used to worship that band in high school. Man am I glad I got over that. I was lame.

Download "What I Would Say to You Now." It's like their only good song.

Aug 2, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #14 of 46
I really do despise emo, but a great great band that is sort of california emo rock but also has some electronica to it is Death Cab for Cutie. They have the lead singer from The Postal Service, and I love them, but thats the extent of my emo love. Death Cab is alot more indie acctually and not too emo at all now that I think about it, they were just on the OC soundtrack so i sorta classified them as that but they really arent.

Aug 2, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #15 of 46
I am one of those "not really into the emo culture" people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back