Anyone else into emo??
Aug 3, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Averse
The roots of all emo can be traced back to king crimson...so yes
evil_smiley.gif

Coheed and Cambria are kind of emoey and crimsoney at the same time.

more rushey though that guy makes geddy lee soud like barry white

Aug 3, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #34 of 46
For the first time ever, my wife told me to turn off a song because she couldn't stand it, even the leaking sound out of my HP2s.

It was Interstatic by the Mars Volta. "I can't stand that girl's wailing!"

Um, it's a guy...

Aug 3, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #35 of 46
I absolutely love Coheed & Cambria. The first album, the second stage turbine blade, opens strong. I used to be way into emo/pop punk. New Found Glory, Something Corporate, Taking Back Sunday, Simple Plan, etc. Then, I stumbled onto Thursday, a band which I think does tempo brilliantly. I fell in love with their relatively harder approach, and have only stumbled deeper into hardcore/metal. Listening to real musical talent (and growing up) has showed me just how unskilled most of the MTV pop rock bands are.

on a sidenote, bands that are "emo" which I still find enjoyable and talented include : Brand New (Deja Entendu only, your favorite weapon is pretty brainless in comparison), Copeland, Jimmy Eat World, and the Used (self-titled, the new album is generic compared to the ST).

Aug 3, 2005 at 9:10 AM Post #36 of 46
OK I do not think bands of today can be generalized into one genre usually they are a combination that makes that band's sound. As for Killswitch I have heard many try to decribe them with genres but I think I read in a fairly recent magazine that one member most agreed with hardcore,pop,emo and old school Euro-Scandanavian metal but I believe Howard said they are heavy music with poppy chorus and hooks but as a whole I believe they said they are just KSE (meaning that they do not want be generalized in terms of genre) and do not forget the individuals in a band make their sound too!!!!! (each member has their own style and maybe one grew up listening to the Beach Boys while another was raised on Slayer)

Aug 3, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets
I absolutely love Coheed & Cambria. The first album, the second stage turbine blade, opens strong. I used to be way into emo/pop punk. New Found Glory, Something Corporate, Taking Back Sunday, Simple Plan, etc. Then, I stumbled onto Thursday, a band which I think does tempo brilliantly. I fell in love with their relatively harder approach, and have only stumbled deeper into hardcore/metal. Listening to real musical talent (and growing up) has showed me just how unskilled most of the MTV pop rock bands are.

I really really like Thursday's FULL COLLAPSE, but have had a hard time getting into WAR ALL THE TIME. WAR just doesn't have the really memorable songs that COLLAPSE does. It just doesn't have the killer riffs of songs like "Cross Out the Eyes" or "Paris in Flames." I do realize that lyrically it's a much more mature album, but on WAR they just seem to have musical ADD, it's too cut up.. other bands do this and I don't mind it so much, but I just have a hard time following the tunes on WAR... and I kind of miss the neo-Cure sound that some of FULL COLLLAPSE had.. Also, I think Geoff could stand to lighten up a bit.

I was listening to C&C's ..SILENT EARTH: 3 last night and really admiring how they mix things up so much, drop the digital needle somewhere and you'll get something completely different from some other random spot on the album. Very wide-ranging influcenes from Iron Maiden (the closing of the title track)
to Rush ("The Crowing") to power pop to emo (why do they all love arpeggios so much??).. it's quite an exhilerating listen. After over a year of going back to this album It's finally starting to win me over, though there are still a few points of cringe scattered throughout (the cheerleaders on "Blood Red Summer" ?).. still, I didn't think I'd ever warm up to this one but I find I'm really starting to dig it.

-jar

Aug 3, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #38 of 46
You know... I never thought of that... but The Mars Volta is REALLY emo!
eek.gif

All of their albums are inspired by deceased loved ones and emotionally-backed issues. I never even realized it... and yes, the singer is quite dramatic. I never really thought of them being emo, however, because of how immensely tallented they all are compared to most other groups of their time. Like Cygnus from their latest album....

"Will they feed us some hooves?"

Very emo-tastic
biggrin.gif

Oh, and ... you all should look at this. How to Become a Cam Whore in 5 Easy Steps Step 4 is what got me to post it here
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
You know... I never thought of that... but The Mars Volta is REALLY emo!
eek.gif

well, At The Drive-In wasn't chopped liver!

Aug 4, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

But I didn't like ATDI that much
biggrin.gif

Blasphemy!

Aug 4, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

But I didn't like ATDI that much
biggrin.gif

A little ATDI goes a long way.

Great for comps, not so great over a whole album.

Aug 4, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
I didn't know Command & Conquer (C&C) had put out an Emo album!, sweet!!, I have the Red Alert and Tiberian Sun ones
wink.gif

no man, C&C Music Factory went emocore! Haven't you heard? they're on tour with AFI and Avenged Sevenfold..

k1000smile.gif

-jar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back