Anyone else into emo??
Aug 2, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by silentperfection
Nearly all the bands mentioned here would not fall under the correct genre definiton of emo...

This is true and all, but the thing is when Moss Icon and Rites of Spring pioneered this sound, only a relatively small group of kids cared about that "emo." When Sunny Day Real Estate, Mineral, Christie Front Drive, etc. came out and really separated themselves from the hardcore scene, this is when today's "emo" really started to take shape. This is why SDRE and the like are considered point zero now. Heck, even weezer's Pinkerton is considered one of the main influences for today's emo.

But genres and sub-genres are ridiculous anyway. There's only good music and bad music. I can't believe people even waste time thinking about this kind of thing. Oh wait I just did
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ e
I am one of those "not really into the emo culture" people.

I am one of those who believes "if you are way into a scene you are really lame" people.

Aug 2, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #17 of 46
Well their are some bands that some think are emo and others do not think are emo. For example I listen to Killswitch Engage (although they have been dissapointing me lately) and some say they are metal some think harcore and others think it is emo .

Anyways emo to me has these characteristics

-teenage puppy love heartache (my girlfriend of 2 days has left for the cute jock at the movie theatre ) lyrics
-sloppy musicianships skills
-forced whinny and nasaly vocals
- this sort of false its about emotion not music attitude(we can not play to save our lives but at least we can fake forced emotion)so they can brainwash kids into buying their stuff
-crappy recording(probably because they are trying to pickup 14 year olds and they are to lazy to care so they say its about emotion not music)
-a bunch of people punching and kicking the air during concerts(also see hardcore "the new generation") this one really bothers me because it has leaked into metal concerts .Me and my friend saw In Flames and one kicked him on the back of the head and did not seem to care.So the next time he went near us my friend decked him on the back of the head with his spiked wristband.

note this is my opinion and accounts to most the bands I have heard

Aug 2, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #18 of 46
Hey Otaku11, some friendly suggestions for bands you might try instead of the emo scene stuff:
wink.gif

Sonic Youth
The Microphones
Modest Mouse
Pixies
Oneida
Queens of the Stone Age
Bark Psychosis
Björk
Pink Floyd
Secret Machines
The Clash
Amon Tobin
Boards of Canada

Maybe you will like some of them
lambda.gif

if anyone cares to add some more alternatives feel free.

Aug 2, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #19 of 46
I absolutely despise the "wavering, toneless falsetto as an indicator for heartfelt emotion" bands, almost without exception. I guess I can say I don't totally despise Connor Oberst, although I still don't like him. That's the sort of thing I'm assuming you're referring to, the "legit" emo. If you're talking about the "emo" that people who don't know what "emo" means talk about, where the lyrics generally revolve around the lead singer talking about how much he loves a girl, or how much he wishes the girl would love him, or how much he hates a girl for loving him, or how much he hates himself for letting himself love a girl even though he knows he doesn't deserve her...let's be honest, that's not exactly new.

Aug 2, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dapperbandit
Well their are some bands that some think are emo and others do not think are emo. For example I listen to Killswitch Engage (although they have been dissapointing me lately) and some say they are metal some think harcore and others think it is emo .

KsE != Metal || emo

emo...emocore...hardcore...metalcore...metal...she esh, haha
I'll use bands from Tooth & Nail + Solidstate Records just to keep it simple
emo = emery, slow coming day
emocore = Beloved
Hardcore = ...Figure Four is their closest, lol, Comback Kid on Facedown/Victory
Metalcore = like all the bands, Norma Jean, The Chariot, Living Sacrifice
Metal = Becoming the Archetype

Umm yeah, I don't really care as long as it sounds good, lol.

Aug 2, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
No, you're right. That Jimmy Eat World is not emo. But some of their earlier work like selections from 1996's Static Prevails and to a lesser extent 1999's Clarity was considered emo. I know this because I used to worship that band in high school. Man am I glad I got over that. I was lame.

Download "What I Would Say to You Now." It's like their only good song.

Why don't you like them any more? Is it that you really don't like the music any more or is it more about "being lame" ?

Aug 2, 2005 at 10:26 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
Why don't you like them any more? Is it that you really don't like the music any more or is it more about "being lame" ?

Hahah. No, I still love their music and I just won't admit it to anyone.
tongue.gif

Seriously, I didn't mean that people who like that band are "lame." I'm saying I was lame. My fanboyism for that band was ridiculous. I remember arguing with someone who insisted that Built to Spill's Keep it Like a Secret was the album of the year (1999) and I vehemently argued in favor of Clarity. Though I no longer listen to their music, I am happy that they have become so successful as of late. They really opened me to other bands that I still like today so for that I am greatful. But the truth is they are just not a very good band and they never really were. Tell that to 18 year old me and you would've had a big argument coming.

My taste in music has changed a lot since high school. I'm 25 now and stuff that I liked back then just doesn't interest me anymore. I'm sure others went through a similar shift in taste at some point. I'm not saying they "sold out" or some dumb crap like that. I couldn't care less about looking cool to scenesters or "being indie" or any of that garbage.
icon10.gif

Aug 2, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Hahah. No, I still love their music and I just won't admit it to anyone.
tongue.gif

Seriously, I didn't mean that people who like that band are "lame." I'm saying I was lame. My fanboyism for that band was ridiculous. I remember arguing with someone who insisted that Built to Spill's Keep it Like a Secret was the album of the year (1999) and I vehemently argued in favor of Clarity. Though I no longer listen to their music, I am happy that they have become so successful as of late. They really opened me to other bands that I still like today so for that I am greatful. But the truth is they are just not a very good band and they never really were. Tell that to 18 year old me and you would've had a big argument coming.

My taste in music has changed a lot since high school. I'm 25 now and stuff that I liked back then just doesn't interest me anymore. I'm sure others went through a similar shift in taste at some point. I'm not saying they "sold out" or some dumb crap like that. I couldn't care less about looking cool to scenesters or "being indie" or any of that garbage.
icon10.gif

I dunno, I'd give KEEP IT LIKE A SECRET the edge, but probably not by much.. you can tell it's the work of a more mature band, but musically I think they both have some great ideas. But I do hope JEW evolves into a more mature band, both musically and lyrically, I think they have it in them to go beyond the whole pop/punk thing they're kind pigeonholed into..

I came to "emo" relatively late and I find a lot of it refreshing. I'm in my mid-30's, and can find stuff to enjoy in GUK and JEW and Jets to Brazil and those others. I'm not a huge fan, because I like a million other kinds of music, but I like to diversify. Still don't like Dashboard though! :p I had SDRE's DIARY for years and I didn't know people called it "emo" - to me it was a cool indie rock record that kind of reminded me of Slint...

I will say this, as you get older you might find yourself going back to some of the music of your youth, everyone does it. For years I didn't listen to much metal, because that's all I listened to for years as a youngin'... but after a while it was fun to "go back" and listen to some of that stuff, even though I know full well some of it was crap
smily_headphones1.gif

-jar

Aug 2, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #28 of 46
I listen to Sunny Day Real Estate's "LP" and "How it Feels to Be Something On" all the time.

If you can call them "Emo"
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #29 of 46
I like Jimmy Eat World. I have all the albums from Clarity going forward. To me, this is just what we used to call "power pop", not "emo", but whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back