anyone else have totally unworthy equipment stands?
Jul 30, 2009 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

paaj

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone else have totally unworthy equipment stands? Just posted this in another forum and got struck by how pathetic it actually is, it's an at least 10 years old Ikea night stand
biggrin.gif

kamer1.jpg

luckily I tightened the screws a few weeks ago otherwise it wouldn't even stand straight.
I'm a bit surprised it has survived this long to be honest, my bed fell apart after moving it around three times... still have to sleep on it though.

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 26
There's nothing unworthy about it as long as it's not falling apart and is sturdy enough to support what you have on it. Why bother buying expensive, fancy stands when you could use that money to buy more gear or music?

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 26
That's nicer than mine. Currently, my DVD player (optical out used as a CD transport) and HP rig are on the end of my computer table, beside my bed, a mass of tangles coming out the back.

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 26
would a crappy dorm desk be counted as unworthy to hold my gear?

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 26
Ooh I remember using a cardboard box for my PC setup when I just moved into my room, had to sit on the floor
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I guess you all are right... only real problem is that it is just a bit too small.
I'm thinking maybe I'll build one myself. Wouldn't be much better, but will have a better size/layout.

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 26
People say 2" thick maple is the standard, but that's expensive. I use 2" thick Fir, which is a much softer wood, but seems to work great. I have ForeverRedwood in California make open back bookcases with 2" thick shelves and 1" thick walls (this is the reverse of what they usually do) and the result is sensational. They will make the exact size you need but stock ones work too. About $250.

You will need this deep link (lots of photos), they do not push the bookshelves from their main page for some reason, so click here:

Greg's Bookcase

You can see me setting up one of mine in the NJ Meet Impression post by flashnolan:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/no...ml#post5880064

(nice photo, flash!).

The brass footers were extra (not from ForeverRedwood), lots of options there as you all know.

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 26
My headphone stand (for the K1000) is quite worthy, but it all reside on a relative inexpensive IKEA desk.
Nothing fancy, but it get the job done...

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #12 of 26
I keep my gear(phones, portable amp, ipod) in a empty sam adams cardboard box with a beach towel in the bottom for cushioning.

Aug 1, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
banana stand
smily_headphones1.gif

Yup, me too. It works.

I think I will save up for a rack sometime. I have plans for my listening room, but it is still quite a mess.

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 26
I use a screw-together shelving system I found at the local hardware store. I like it because I can buy any of about 10 different lengths of poles, so I can create interestingly complex stands. However, it's only as sturdy as it is tightly screwed together. Audiophile-style ideally it could probably benefit from serious damping.

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #15 of 26
The only stand of any sort I own is the cheap(er) Woo Audio headphone stand. It works for what I need. Everything else goes on my desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back